Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 8:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i dont know if thats sarcasim or not, and i doubt it has any meaning to the convo, but please read what I wrote again. And dont ask people to meet you over the internet, its creepy as hell.

""""""HEAD ASSISTANT OF THE HEAD MASTER OF THE SCHOOL"""" SHOULD BE A GOOD INDICATION OF THE HEALTH OF THE ENTIRE TREE OF THE MARTIAL ART. OCHAI STARTED THE MARTIAL ART! HE NAMED IT! BOWEN WAS HIS FIRST AMERICAN STUDENT! HIS STUDENTS SHOULD BE THE EPITOME OF WHAT THE MARTIAL ART SIGNIFIES!"

He definitely is the head assistant, or whatever is closest to it. Unless he lied to me, to my face, and the entire Washin Ryu martial arts club in his epic speaches about how he was better then everyone else. I definitely remember him saying he was the first american student, or at least in the class of the first students, but regardless, hes been training under Ochai for HOW MANY YEARS? LONGER THEN IVE BEEN ALIVE. I know he said he started training in graduate school, and i do beleive the timing matches when Ochai started training people.

Possibly you personally yourself would like to call bullshit on other people in your martial art if you really feel so strongly inclined at this point? it seems like you have a much more fair and less money oriented view then the others.

and yes, it is a candy drive for the Binghamton University Washin Ryu Martial arts club, as sad as that sounds, since the club is already funded by the school, they need more money to go to the dojo i assume.

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 8:47pm

Style: Washin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, I was not being sarcastic and I was not patronizing you.

OK, I re-read it and agree that he is the head assistant. He is also on the board of directors. It is probably not very fair to him to have these discussions without him being able to defend himself. If what you are saying is true and there is no other side to the story(but there usually is), I can understand your disdain for Washin Ryu. Master Ochiai started in 1966 in Johnson City and we are having our 40th anniversary tournament as SUNY on April 29. Master Ochiai will be doing a demonstration at noon. I think Mr. Bowen has been around for 30 years. Maybe he meant he was his first student at the Dojo in Vestal. During class when Master Ochiai talks about starting in JC, I thought he mentioned someone else was his first student. I could be wrong.

I learned my fairness from my Master Ochiai. I have heard him tell people over and over that if you cannot afford to pay for class, summer camp, special seminars, etc, to let him know and he would pay for it. He stated one time he would love to teach without any regard for money. Whatever he gets, he gives back to the community.

I guess I better go train now! I am participating in the demo at the tournament doing kata, bo kata and bunkai. Actually these discussions have motivated me to train even harder. Thank you.

Steve

Middleweight

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 9:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what does he exactly give back to the community? ive only seen ONE thing, a road sign saying that he pays for cleaning the road, and thats more of an ad then anything

sadly, even the binghamton university CLUB has to pay to use the dojo.... 65 dollars monthly each person. these are bing students very interested in Washin Ryu, some of which i personally know, and some of them are very very poor. WHY are they paying for this service then? is a NON PROFIT CLUB there for ochai to make money off of too? maybe a list of community things he does would make me a little more confident in what your saying.......

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 9:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can do your own research. I am not going to try to list everything Master Ochiai has done for this community and have you come up with a criticism for each one. But he has donated generously to just about every local charity(SOS Shelter, MADD, etc). Actually, the town took back the adopt a highway program to give inmates something to do. I don't know why the signs are still up. The areas are filthy and I am about ready to go clean it myself! It costs $65/ person per month to take class at the club one a week or is it twice? It was $65/month to take class with Hidy Ochiai and you could go 6 days/week twice a day if you wanted to. It just went up to $85 this year. Master Ochiai just gets a very small % of the club and branch fees. The rest goes to the club or branch leader.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 9:28pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So.

I donate to my community and it doesn't make me a martyr.

Why is it every art that can't defend itself on the mat or the street resort to donations and communtiy service?

Donations do not make your art worth anything or any art for that matter.:bsflag:

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 9:30pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveni
    Master Ochiai just gets a very small % of the club and branch fees. The rest goes to the club or branch leader.
    Well, that makes you a McDojo. Getting profits from a place you don't run is a McDojo.

Yes, McDonald's has franchises but, they don't teach MA.

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 9:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was just answering a question that was asked of me and I get **** for it and get words put in my mouth. I just said he was generous and trying to make a point that he is not trying to get rich from his art.

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 9:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you don't think that the master of a style should get a small % from branches that his active students are leading? If that makes it a McDojo, then so be it.
    I don't see anything wrong with that. He gives back much more to each branch and club instructor than they give to him!!

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 9:45pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveni
    So you don't think that the master of a style should get a small % from branches that his active students are leading? If that makes it a McDojo, then so be it.
    I don't see anything wrong with that. He gives back much more to each branch and club instructor than they give to him!!
    That is what seminars are for IMO. I run the school, I recruit students, I pay bills, I clean up etc.....

I shouldn't have to pay money to a figure head.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/06/2006 9:46pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't give me any of that time bullshit either.
Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 45678 910111218 ... LastLast