Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162223242526 27282930 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/16/2006 10:00am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Denise
    I have started my training with Hidy Ochiai himself. I'm not sure if you are in another branch of his.
    He has a brief history of himself on his web site http://www.hidyochiai.org/
    I hope that helps. I've learned so much from him already and I've only been there for 2 months.
    Unfortunately Washin Ryu has been pussified. The sparring now is a soft game of tag. Just go to their yearly tournament. Every self defense technique has a name associated with it. Hence the Goshina (?) katas. The Black Belts are arrogant and rude. To get anywhere in the school you have to follow the "party Line". Question anything and you will not be promoted.

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 2:35am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I studied under Hidy for 11 years, from ages 7-18 and was personally awarded a black belt from the master himself...I do credit the study with developing fitness and reflexes as a youngster. I left the dojo to go to college and never took up martial arts again.

I had always wondered about the zelots that worshiped Hidy and I wondered about the fine cars he always drove...

What makes me get back to an old part of my history is, my brother (who also got a black belt) currently visited Hidy and received a COIN emblazened with his image from him to give to us...

Twenty years after my studies, as I sat here in front of my computer, I spyed the coin off to the side, studyed it and thoughts of Roman Emporers flooded into my head...

What man would emblazon his own image into a coin???? Not one I would expect teaching humility ..... To say the least, I am really disappionted....

Posted On:
    1/04/2007 9:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zeylor
    I had always wondered about the zelots that worshiped Hidy and I wondered about the fine cars he always drove...

Heah, and how about the collections that are always going around( for parking lot, dojo floor, etc).

Posted On:
    2/20/2007 5:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shito-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think anyone living in the Binghamton area either went to Sang Lee's TKD or Hidy Ochiai's Karate. At least that is how it was when I lived there. And it depends why you are learning the martial arts - Sang Lee prepares his students for tournaments and his style TKD is mainly kicking of all sorts. I went to see my friend and that was what they practiced and I knew it was not for me since my kicks were pretty lousy and I was not flexible so I tune into the more mental discipline, awareness type art - Hidy Ochiai's.

Overall, training with him helped me fight my own fears of low self esteem and lack of self confidence. I do hear from the sideline of gossip and I am sure all schools have the dislikes, likes, hates and all that - There were a few higher belts I did not like and did not have respect for.

And oh yes, I do remember Mr. Bowen and Mr. Perricone

And I certainly remember Mr. Carpenter the one legged man who spars with very fast hands - in fact he still teaches at the Albany branch.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 8:22am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jenbsookjen
    . I went to see my friend and that was what they practiced and I knew it was not for me since my kicks were pretty lousy and I was not flexible so I tune into the more mental discipline, awareness type art - Hidy Ochiai's.
    Wax on, wax off.

Overall, training with him helped me fight my own fears of low self esteem and lack of self confidence. I do hear from the sideline of gossip and I am sure all schools have the dislikes, likes, hates and all that - There were a few higher belts I did not like and did not have respect for.

And oh yes, I do remember Mr. Bowen and Mr. Perricone

Oh, PLEASE tell us the stories. We have all day.

Posted On:
    2/21/2007 5:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zeylor
    What man would emblazon his own image into a coin???? Not one I would expect teaching humility ..... To say the least, I am really disappionted....
    It is probably a scheme to make more money. You have to buy the coins as currency to use as money in the Washin Ryu supply store. Exchange rate will be around $1.50 for $1 coin.

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 11:54am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    It is probably a scheme to make more money. You have to buy the coins as currency to use as money in the Washin Ryu supply store. Exchange rate will be around $1.50 for $1 coin.
    Wow, no kidding! When did Hidy Ochiai created these coins with his own image?

He is a man of very much self importance and he wants people to respect him and bow to him. But I think the black belts there were the ones that had major issues. THey put this man on a pedestal and that he can do no wrong.

I remember as an out of town student - we had to stay for some meeting to how to deal with a black belt who had left HO for another school run by Kushner - one of HO's most priced student of the years - I do not know him since it was before my time.

The meeting centralize around this one guy whom everyone blasted. I am sure what had to discussed were the ideas of HO himself but he was not at the meeting.

Everyone was saying it was an insult, disrespect - new rules should be set for anyone leaving.

I don't know - it is a free country - we can choose whom we want to train under and whom we will pay money to.

J.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 12:22pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hidy Ochiai Black Belts have a superiority complex. Somphore year I went to take there Karate class for my gym credit. The evil bitch monster that ran the class spent 30 minutes on how awesome Hidy Ochiai and by extension *she* was. Then declared that if any body went in to challenge her to a fight that she would have to kill them.

I dropped the club and tried the club, they were just as bad.

Basically Washin-ryu is a inferior Shotokan branch with a myth about Karate Monks.

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 12:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjew
    Hidy Ochiai Black Belts have a superiority complex. Somphore year I went to take there Karate class for my gym credit. The evil bitch monster that ran the class spent 30 minutes on how awesome Hidy Ochiai and by extension *she* was. Then declared that if any body went in to challenge her to a fight that she would have to kill them.

I dropped the club and tried the club, they were just as bad.

Basically Washin-ryu is a inferior Shotokan branch with a myth about Karate Monks.
    You are gonna get some of those "they think they are great" no matter what school you go to. I am looking at the HO website and it says Jennifer Smith is the instructor over at SUNY Binghamton - dunno who she is. But some of the other names like Bowen I recognize and also Nate Jackson.

I did a seach for washin-ryu style as well and found nothing and I even did a search on all the Saito as well and nada.

J.

Posted On:
    2/22/2007 1:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are gonna get some of those "they think they are great" no matter what school you go to. I am looking at the HO website and it says Jennifer Smith is the instructor over at SUNY Binghamton - dunno who she is. But some of the other names like Bowen I recognize and also Nate Jackson.

I did a seach for washin-ryu style as well and found nothing and I even did a search on all the Saito as well and nada.

J.
    What's also interesting, is that on Washin Ryu website, it says nothing about his ranks (when he got them and from whom). He came here as a 4th dan, then what?
Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162223242526 27282930 ... LastLast