Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 8:25am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So lets say you are going for the kimura- you have the grip, your guard is closed still, and they are being strong while still keeping good base.

One thing I saw on a Matt Thornton tape was to shrimp out so that you are almost perpendicular to them. Then open your guard and close it again so that your leg on the side that is being kimuraed is against their hand (which is gripping their belt) and tight on their body. Now you can use the strength of your leg, back, and arms against their arm. At 160 and 6'0'' I would guess you have relatively long legs, further increasing the power.

The other thing is the good old hip bump-kimura-guillotine combo. If there is more setup to the move, they will not be as able to use base and defend- you'll be thinking aheadof them, instead of (presumebly) a little behind them.

ec
    Last edited by MadeOfOlives; 8/02/2005 8:28am at .

game dog

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 9:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's say you have the kimura grip on the guy's left arm and are still on your right side. Switch your hip such that you are more or less perpendicular to him (with your upper body on his left side, obviously). Now use your right leg to push off from his hip. *Use a series of hard jerks, not a smooth pull*. That should help break his grip. You will need to temporarily open your guard for that, but it's worth it.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 10:06am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    omo plata
  4. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 10:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **hits buzzer**
    What is Shoulder Blade?

**awaits Alex's response**

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 10:29am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Beats the hell out of me. But w can call it the Oops There Goes Your Shoulder lock if you want.

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 10:44am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about attaining a superior position (not bottom guard) before trying the Kimura in the first place?

It's a hell of a lot easier to get from side control.

game dog

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 10:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I find the Kimura MUCH easier from guard than from anywhere else. Sometimes I lock it in from mount and the let the guy roll me into my guard, cranking the Kimura during the transition.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 11:29am

Style: BJJ & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatdown Richie
    Actually, I find the Kimura MUCH easier from guard than from anywhere else. Sometimes I lock it in from mount and the let the guy roll me into my guard, cranking the Kimura during the transition.
    I do that too sometimes, but I always feel like I'm doing something wrong because I'm giving up position.

game dog

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 11:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do that too sometimes, but I always feel like I'm doing something wrong because I'm giving up position.
    Depends what you feel comfortable with. Sadly, I have a much better chance of tapping a guy in my guard than a guy I have mount on. :-( Time to work on my top game, I suppose.

In terms of tournament strategy, as long as your guard is good, I don't see anything wrong with it. Collect points for mount, go for submission, if you get it - great, if not - chill, or try to collect points for the sweep back to mount :-)

Chemist

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 12:22pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatdown Richie
    I can see that for you because you've got long arms and legs.... but it's probably a body type thing, because for me it's a lot easier to get from side control but I'm heavy so usually if I can get side control, they're pinned down, having said that I have consistent success with kimura from closed guard

regardless I still haven't figured out what position he's trying to get the kimura from, because if it's on the top, he's probably not monkey-gripping or "sweeping the mat" with the guys wrist

if it's from the guard, he's not getting perpendicular and using his whole body instead of his arms

if it's from north/south, he needs to get him up on his side and then to yank forward to break the grip of the belt and then crank back
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast