Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 12:50am

Style: Shotokan & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Finish the Kimura

Very often, I have the Kimura 99% finished, but if my opponent is much stronger than myself (which happens a lot since I'm 6'0'' and 160 pounds) often he can grab his belt and I can't break his grip. Any suggestions?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 2:44am

Style: Empty-Hand Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have problems with the kimura.......my senpai bites me when I apply it .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 3:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dont break his arm tho thats not useful advise....(even if he spits in yer eyes)
    Do you keep your opponets hands in a nice L positon along with yours ? Thats the key really I think.I'm just an "instructional-video noob" I wont know that well.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 3:34am

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would trust him, if he says so.
    (and, he said so!)

`~/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 3:42am

Style: WT and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you are getting the kimura on them when they are in your guard and they grab their belt try a hip sweep to get to mount. do forget to put your posts out though.
    had this happen to me today, but I forgot my posts. got him in an arm bar anyway, its all a chess match anyways moving from one attack to another is the key.

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 3:54am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sweats
    Very often, I have the Kimura 99% finished, but if my opponent is much stronger than myself (which happens a lot since I'm 6'0'' and 160 pounds) often he can grab his belt and I can't break his grip. Any suggestions?
    Assuming you've done the setup correctly (as Omega stated above) and it still isn't working then one thing you can do if he's in your guard when doing this is switch to a guillotine choke. This works well if they are keeping their head down and close to your chest while defending. Assuming you are applying the kimura to his left arm you would release the grip and take your left arm around their head to put your left forearm in their throat and then use your right hand to apply the pressure. Be sure to extend your torso while holding them in your closed guard to increase the pressure. IF they are sitting up and defending then I'll always try a hip bump to sweep them backwards. This is done by releasing your grip, keeping your left arm draped over their shoulder, posting your right arm on the ground and thrusting your hips toward them like you're trying to hump them. They should fall backwards if they are too upright.

Otherwise it depends on your position when you're applying the lock. If I'm in side control applying a keylock and they grab their belt I can normally toss my leg nearest their head over their head (so the back of my ankle is now behind their neck) and use it to help me break the grip by twisting my entire torso while keeping them in the lock. If they are being a real pain and won't release then I'll transition to an armbar from this position, and on and on...
    Last edited by katana; 8/02/2005 3:57am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 5:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by katana
    Assuming you've done the setup correctly (as Omega stated above) and it still isn't working then one thing you can do if he's in your guard when doing this is switch to a guillotine choke. This works well if they are keeping their head down and close to your chest while defending. Assuming you are applying the kimura to his left arm you would release the grip and take your left arm around their head to put your left forearm in their throat and then use your right hand to apply the pressure. Be sure to extend your torso while holding them in your closed guard to increase the pressure. IF they are sitting up and defending then I'll always try a hip bump to sweep them backwards. This is done by releasing your grip, keeping your left arm draped over their shoulder, posting your right arm on the ground and thrusting your hips toward them like you're trying to hump them. They should fall backwards if they are too upright.

Otherwise it depends on your position when you're applying the lock. If I'm in side control applying a keylock and they grab their belt I can normally toss my leg nearest their head over their head (so the back of my ankle is now behind their neck) and use it to help me break the grip by twisting my entire torso while keeping them in the lock. If they are being a real pain and won't release then I'll transition to an armbar from this position, and on and on...
    You read my mind .....and armbar transition ...exactly what I was thinking would work. :jerk:

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 7:04am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what helps even more? Going to train Judo or BJJ properly if that's what you're interested in..
    More human than human is our motto.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 7:06am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fanatical for t3h win
  10. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 7:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by katana
    If I'm in side control applying a keylock and they grab their belt I can normally toss my leg nearest their head over their head (so the back of my ankle is now behind their neck) and use it to help me break the grip by twisting my entire torso while keeping them in the lock.
    ...and this is how I lost my first tournament match. :eusa_doh: (in 38 seconds) :eusa_doh:

So it's a move that is near and dear to my heart.
    Last edited by KhorneliusPraxx; 8/02/2005 8:48am at .
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast