Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 8:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Te No Kage!
    *in my limited experience* as far as wrestlers are concerned or those that like to bend over when grappling, they do make it a lot more difficult to hip throw because they have their hips too far back to get too, BUT learn some backward sacrifice throws and that should take care of it, usually if someone is bending over on me, I'll just do a sumi gaeshi or tomoe nage or uki waza, all three of these are very easy on people that already have "their nose over their toes", after a few of those they should start standing back up a little bit
    Excellent suggestions. I would also add that I've personally had tremendous success with De Ashi Barai against bent over wrestlers. It's a fantastic technique for that situation. I've also had, to a lesser degree, pretty good success with Sasae Tsurikomi Ashi, although it's not typically an ideal technique for that situation. It was one my best techniques and I made it work pretty well against bent over wrestlers. Like every throw, it's all about balance and timing.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 8:15pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FighterJones
    people always laugh at me in school when at lunch time they see me with a Jones soda in hand, I absolutely love jones soda, so poop loops, seriously you got any tips?
    No, I just pull guard. :(

PL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 9:15pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is you ju jutsu instructor also a judoka or a wrestler?

another thing against big guys is an o soto gari with the lapel hand driving up under their chin rather than trying to throw your shoulder into them like a traditional o soto. By controling the head, you can throw them.

Also, if you're telegraphing, you have to learn to relax when you attack - the scariest guys to face are the ones that you know have their grips but you can't feel their arms - they just come in and blam, you're gone.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 9:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tourettes
    another thing against big guys is an o soto gari with the lapel hand driving up under their chin rather than trying to throw your shoulder into them like a traditional o soto. By controling the head, you can throw them.
    More excellent advice. In my opinion, this is the way it should always be done.

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 9:32pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tourettes
    Is you ju jutsu instructor also a judoka or a wrestler?

Also, if you're telegraphing, you have to learn to relax when you attack - the scariest guys to face are the ones that you know have their grips but you can't feel their arms - they just come in and blam, you're gone.
    uh....both...sorta to the first question.
    but i'll try with the advice for osoto gari

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 9:58pm

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    your earlier query about doing damaging throws

learn some maki-komi techniques (throws where you land on your opponent) unless you breakfall well, it knocks the wind out of you very well

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2005 8:46am

Style: PersonalDefenseReadiness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speaking of those bent-over guys :

try Sumi-Gaeshi, as Te No Kage proposed, or take a closer look at Hikikomi-Gaeshi kind of techniques.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 10:41am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just skimmed but I didn't see anyone mention it. Try using hip thows as a counter, you can't force them. I like to try Osoto Gari then if they push towards me to counter turn into a hip throw. Judo throws are all about the set-up. The hardest throws I've recieved are always when I think they are throwing me one way then switch it up as soon as I resist.

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 12:16pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    I just skimmed but I didn't see anyone mention it. Try using hip thows as a counter, you can't force them. I like to try Osoto Gari then if they push towards me to counter turn into a hip throw. Judo throws are all about the set-up. The hardest throws I've recieved are always when I think they are throwing me one way then switch it up as soon as I resist.
    Months later, WhiteShark has t3h correct.

For a BJJ loser, I get a decent amount of takedowns, and the reasons I get takedowns are pretty much these three:

1.) My opponent is terrible on his feet so I just throw him however I want.

2.) I try one throw/takedown and then go for a different one when my opponent tries to counter.

3.) Besides maybe 1, this is the big one for me (and it is probably not good that this is so, but nobody's perfect): I counter-throw fairly often. Let my opponent make the first move and then take what he gives me. Obviously this is not such a good habit.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2005 12:17pm

Style: HungGar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also sounds like you're coming in a little too off center.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast