Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 7:23am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The head/arm thing is Koshi guruma I reckon?

Important part of hip throws like Te no kage mentioned is to get close to your opponent. Not just with the hips though. Remember to straighten your back and not bend over too much before you execute the throw. It's all in the setup and the off balancing. I've had trouble with this throw myself. Mostly because I bend my back too much. You shouldn't worry about being shorter though. That just makes it easier to get your hips in.

Pointers I've been smacked over the head for a billion times: Proper offbalancing, Straighter back, Bend the knees more, More contact (i.e. get closer). With that said, timing and agressiveness is also a part. As are fakes and moves that get you better offbalancing. Like Sui Generis said. Fake an Osoto gari and go to a hip throw instead as they shift their weight.

And practice practice practice T_T
    More human than human is our motto.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 7:56am

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if the guy is getting out the side i'm picturing a nice setup for a hara-goshi or possibly a osoto-gari

1. entry for your hip throw
    2. he steps over
    3. reset your hips and block his thigh with your thigh (important to have him offbalance here, or easy counter)
    4. you should be able to get a good hara-goshi from this position

something i find useful, go over it slow with your friend, when he gets out see what throws present themselves when you break his balance in each direction, do things that you havent tried before (and obviously if you havent checked for some pointers from your instructor, do so) good luck mate

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 8:49am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Normally I'd say the problem would be one of 2 things.

1. Not off balancing your opponent.

2. Not sinking it in deep enough.

Most beginning judoka attempt throws before getting their oppopnent off balance. Hip throws need to be sunk in deep in order to be effective.

In your case I'd say it's likely that the problem is your throws look like a train wreck. I don't know where you're learning your throws, but you need to be sure you're learning the proper techniques from somebody qualified to teach them.

Although the 2 things I mentioned above are common mistakes made by judoka, the fact is that any throw has many components that need to be executed properly and with good timing in order to be effective. And repetition is key. You have to practice judo throws a lot in order to become efective. You have to learn the "feel" of the throw and commit it to muscle memory, which can take a while. It takes years sometimes to perfect a throw.

As for the question about BJJ containing all the judo techniques, the answer is no. It does not include all the standing techniques.

Chemist

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 9:11am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    in Judo, 1 + 1 = 1

kuzushi, entry, throw, all must be simultaneous
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 11:45am

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, first off, dai tenshi, I didn't mean it as the name as an actual throw, Ever seen a fedor fight where he just grabs them around the arm and head and twists em to the ground? No hip? Thats what I mean.
    And keep in mind guys i'm 170 ish pounds, my problem with these throws are up against guys 200+ pounds, Like I can get plenty of takedowns on my 200 pound friend, and I met a friend of his at a party last night, and I was lucky he was nice to me cause he looked like 240, and we grappled and he owned me, turns out he wrestled all of his life, but anyways I just go straight for the hip throw, because thats what I want to work on, with training partners in class I can seem to set them up fine, but then again, they aren't all mammoths.
    And guys I'll try and get most of my judo throws eventually, but so far I only know(for judo throws, not counting wrestling and stuff),

osoto gari
    o goshi
    ouchi gari
    kouchi gari (i'm pretty sure he's taught me these two throws)
    ko soto gari
    tai otoshi
    uchi mada
    tani otoshi
    daki age (gaurd slammin someone)

I have resources to point out other throws, but I don't think I should try to learn online :P, so I'll wait from my instructor. But yeah, Its like hip throws don't seem to work because my opponents are so much bigger than me. I know take whatever throw you can get, and when I set my mind to just taking someone down with no particular throw, I can always just get the bodylock then trip em, I just wanna work on my hip throws and get nasty ones.
    So It seems wierd how I gotta change levels, cause them my hip just hits their thigh, and my 250ish buddy can slam me down at will if he wanted but he didn't cause hes nice.
    So as I understand it guys, abridged what you are trying to tell me is, set my hip throws up with other throws, get in tight, and do everything in one solid motion? and yeah I need to work on my form, its just that in july my ju jitsu club doesn't run, hes starting again in august so yeah, I think i got class tomarrow (woot), but my hip throws ARE terrible, I learned them recently and I'm new to them.
    Your help is appreaciated fellow bullshidoka.

Jones

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say...offbalance your opponent before your entry so that he does have the angle or leverage to easily counter you. Just trying to rush in there with a hip throw can have dire consequences.

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 11:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so, shoulder check them like in osoto gari, clinch neck, then plum, then hip throw?

Jones
  8. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 12:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can give no advise on this matter. I have high hopes and practice throws but A) I suck. and B) it is all for nothing because when I go to tournaments everyone in my bracket is an ex-wrestler that shoots for the legs before I can even say "tai toshi", so I definitly don't have time to pull one off.

Wrestlers with 4-8 years experience really ruin the stand-up game for 38 year old newbs. :icon_pale

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 12:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hahah, yeah hopefully this year my wrestling coach will get more indepth with technique tho.

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 12:38pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    I can give no advise on this matter. I have high hopes and practice throws but A) I suck. and B) it is all for nothing because when I go to tournaments everyone in my bracket is an ex-wrestler that shoots for the legs before I can even say "tai toshi", so I definitly don't have time to pull one off.

Wrestlers with 4-8 years experience really ruin the stand-up game for 38 year old newbs. :icon_pale
    On the bright side, you don't have to worry about getting your ribs broken by you-know-who anymore. SPRAWL SPRAWL SPRAWL. And whisper sweet nothings in your opponent's ear while you are doing this.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast