Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2005 4:54pm

Style: Poor mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hip twist

I was curious how many degrees everyone twists their hips when they commit to a
    1. Jab
    2. Hook
    3. Cross

As in, if you could measure the angle change from point of origin to point of fist on target. (unless you do _ing _un, and you do it all arm like a badass)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 8:14am

Style: judo, karate, jap jj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i just go where i feel comfortable, no specific amount of rotation

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 10:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jab - very little usually, unless I'm really trying to reach out. I try not to do that and rely more on footwork.

Cross - not past facing opponent straight on.

Hook - 90 degrees to opponent.

General guide only. Obviously the hook is pretty fully committed at that angle, but you did say committed.

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 11:07am

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    32.5 degress
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 11:37am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzaro Root
    32.5 degress
    I was always taught 32.7 degrees. ****, I've been doing it wrong all these years!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 6:48pm

Style: Poor mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I meant rough estimates. I've heard some say a good 30 degrees makes a better jab, while others barely seem to twitch their waist.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2005 6:52pm

supporting member
     Style: MT, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep in mind that people use jabs for different purposes. There are pawing jabs and stiff jabs. The same could be said for hooks, it all depends on whether you are trying to open the guy up or take his head off.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2005 2:28am

Style: Choy lay fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For my super jab its 13.37 degrees.

Posted On:
    8/05/2005 11:38am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, you have to differentiate between stiff power jabs, and slapping cover jabs. There is a HUGE difference between the two.

What I call a cover jab is just a distration, or set-up for another technique. It is just a notch up from a feint, in that you actually try to make some contact with your opponent. Generally, you're trying to cover their eyes, disrupt what they are doing, and screw up their reaction to your follow up. These punches are basically arm punches with very little hip twist. Some fighters will step into the punch slightly to get a little bit of additional power, but it definitely isn't a big power technique. Since there is little hip commitment, the cover jab can be thrown quickly, and can be difficult to see coming. They are quick and whippy, but will not knock someone out.

A power jab is thrown with a lot more commitment and hip twist. It can essentially be considered a lead cross. For an orthodox stance power jab, you would twist your hips quickly to the right, step in hard, and lean into the punch a bit. It takes very quick and forceful hip twist to do this effectively. JKD employs a similar technique in their lead hand straight blast. Some boxers will do it with an orthodox stance.

They both have their place, but if I can hit someone, I'd prefer to hit them hard with some hip twist and a good power jab. I'll tend to use cover jabs more to set up leg kicks, or as a defensive disruptor.

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    8/08/2005 8:52am

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I practice a long fist style, we spin our hips 720 degrees.
    Who, for Pete’s sake! Is opposing science? In fact, we want MORE science by CRITICALLY ANALIZING the evidence-Connie Morris, Kansas State BOE (bolding and underlining part of original quote, red is my emphasis)

As long as you try to treat your subjective experiences as if they were objective experiences, you will continue to be confounded by people who disagree with you.-some guy on an internet messageboard