Page 9 of 13 First ... 5678910111213 Last

Thread: SAMBO vs BJJ

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dflanmod View Post
    I won't be doing any comps this year. Need to get promoted to blue belt first. Long story.
    *Blank look* That is epically gay.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    *Blank look* That is epically gay.
    Fortunately I'm reasonably intelligent and can hopefully put forth an explanation that you won't find to be completely fagtarded TM.

In 2009 I started training bjj. I was promoted to blue belt in like 6 months. I can tell you this. I'm no prodigy at grappling and to be blunt I pretty much suck a fat cock at it. So I never felt like I earned or deserved that blue belt. Shortly thereafter I quit training

Fast forward to this about June of this year. I walk into a new gym wearing a white belt, tell them I have a "few months" of training and never mention having previously been a blue belt. And sure enough the blue belts are all kicking my ass up and down the matts.

Point is, if I show up as a white belt to a comp and I win then my old gym accuses me of sandbagging. Now personally I would not care what they call me but I won't have them leveling those accusations at my gym/coach. Particularly since it would blindside my coach as I never said **** to him about a blue belt.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fully understand. Remind me to tell you about the tournament everybody accused me of sandbagging.

Style
    Thai Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello everyone.

After around 5 years following the forum from the outside, after once hating you but later thanking you for opening y eyes to a realistic approach to martial arts, I'm glad to be finally able to join this conversations.

One thing I would like to ask to Omega, Serge, and other experienced samboists here:

Cn you link me to any reliable sambo materials (dvd's, books) that deal with work from the back/ guard work and positional grappling on the ground other than Sonnon's Saddle? I'm planing to join a Sambo club next door in my country, but the guys there are staunchly old fashioned in the sense that they disgregard positional grappling in favor of the classical fast work of Sambo comps. On one side, I could crosstrain in BJJ, but my wallet can't deal with two martial arts fees, my weekly schedule is very tight...and my inner grapplig nerd is ansious to know how pure Sambo was able to evolve in order to incorporate possitional ground grappling and guard work without having to incorporate BJJ into it's arsenal.
    Last edited by Metallist; 4/10/2017 8:28pm at .

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallist View Post
    Hello everyone.

After around 5 years following the forum from the outside, after once hating you but later thanking you for opening y eyes to a realistic approach to martial arts, I'm glad to be finally able to join this conversations.

One thing I would like to ask to Omega, Serge, and other experienced samboists here:

Cn you link me to any reliable sambo materials (dvd's, books) that deal with work from the back/ guard work and positional grappling on the ground other than Sonnon's Saddle? I'm planing to join a Sambo club next door in my country, but the guys there are staunchly old fashioned in the sense that they disgregard positional grappling in favor of the classical fast work of Sambo comps. On one side, I could crosstrain in BJJ, but my wallet can't deal with two martial arts fees, my weekly schedule is very tight...and my inner grapplig nerd is ansious to know how pure Sambo was able to evolve in order to incorporate possitional ground grappling and guard work without having to incorporate BJJ into it's arsenal.
    Anything by Reilly Bodycomb. Good stuff.

Style
    Jiu-Jitsu, Judo,Wrestling
    Click Here to Visit My Business
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vladislav Koulikov has a pure Sambo series, which is excellent.
    He also has an excellent no gi series of Sambo-BJJ-Wrestling Fusion.
    And, he has several leglock series, all of which are excellent.
    I am not a Sambo competitor, but as a long time Wrestler, Judo, and BJJ practitioner, I can say that Vlad knows his business, and adds value to any grappling room that he is in.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vladislav Koulikov is the best sambist with a series in english I have been able to find.

Kashiwazaki Is a Judo Gold medalist, a world sambo champ and one of the best to ever put on a Gi.

Kashiwazaki doesn't seem to speak English. His stuff may be hard for low level grapplers to follow.

Style
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly you should just learn bjj from the Bjj guys though.

Saulo Riberio Jiu-Jitsu revolution. Is one of the best videos ever made.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Honestly you should just learn bjj from the Bjj guys though.

Saulo Riberio Jiu-Jitsu revolution. Is one of the best videos ever made.
    For me, these are the best instructionals ever.

Style
    Combat Sambo | Pramek
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Anything by Reilly Bodycomb. Good stuff.
    This is probably the best answer, Steve Scott from the Welcome Mat has some excellent material as well. You're going to be hard pressed to find much in the way of guard work stuff in Sambo material. The rules of the sport and how points are awarded really limit guard work and really anything off your back. If you want to do a lot of work off your back BJJ is going to be the best bet.

Page 9 of 13 First ... 5678910111213 Last