Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/29/2005 1:55am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow who's denial here Aesop? More submissions make not for better ground game as I found out in my early years.

Posted On:
    7/29/2005 6:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sambo has some of the "weirdest" submissions I have ever seen, more than I have seen in BJJ and Judo.
    Most don't really work in a fight, not unless the person is already dead, but still....

Chemist

Posted On:
    7/29/2005 3:56pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my understanding is that traditional sambo doesn't allow chokes during sparring, but combat sambo does, and don't you practice combat sambo, Omega?

One of the guys I train with in Judo goes to visit his brother in Birmingham from time to time and trains at his sambo school when he goes up there, and he says that the whole class is rolling, no warmups, techniques or anything, you show up and grapple for 30-45 minutes with somebody as a warmup and then do the "real" rolling for another hour plus, he said that it can be brutal and exhausting, but I'm guessing that may change from school to school, but that was his general impression, he says that since they don't choke they can end up in strange positions sometimes that just don't happen in BJJ/Judo because of the possibility of being choked, and it's a really bad place for a sloppy guard (heel hooks)

and lets not forget the boots!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/29/2005 4:16pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not big into seperating the school there TNK. Of course I do Combat SAMBO, I do the full range.

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 10:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Sambo, BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

In my opinion

Now I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means, this is my opinion. I think before you can decide which style is better you have to look at each ones strengths and origins. From what I understand BJJ is a variant of japanese jiu jitsu which was created to be effective against men in samurai armor since striking didn't work. Sambo on the other hand is a melting pot of many different styles so the russians could defend against the many different cultures that tried to invade them. Now I'm looking at the aspects of each style, now both have all of these points but obviously some are better then others. My old BJJ instructor used to tell me except for a few unique things they both have the same submissions what's different is how you get there. Since Sambo was traditionally limited by a strict time limit it tends to be faster and slightly more aggressive. However BJJ tends to have better passes and ground defense since they had the time to do so. Let's list it up.

Sambo

Strong takedowns
    more focused leglocks
    faster submissions
    translates easier to a street fight

BJJ
    Better passes
    Strong all around ground control
    More effective ground defense

I think if a Sambo master met a BJJ master in the ring it would be a great fight. If the Sambo guy managed to get BJJ guy off his feet and roll into one of his badass takedown subs he'll get it but if he doesn't go how he wants and the BJJ guy gets the upper hand on the ground he'll be screwed. Both styles are equally good in their own ways I like them both very much.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 11:26am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingDiamondDave View Post
    Now I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means, this is my opinion. I think before you can decide which style is better you have to look at each ones strengths and origins. From what I understand BJJ is a variant of japanese jiu jitsu which was created to be effective against men in samurai armor since striking didn't work. Sambo on the other hand is a melting pot of many different styles so the russians could defend against the many different cultures that tried to invade them. Now I'm looking at the aspects of each style, now both have all of these points but obviously some are better then others. My old BJJ instructor used to tell me except for a few unique things they both have the same submissions what's different is how you get there. Since Sambo was traditionally limited by a strict time limit it tends to be faster and slightly more aggressive. However BJJ tends to have better passes and ground defense since they had the time to do so. Let's list it up.

Sambo

Strong takedowns
    more focused leglocks
    faster submissions
    translates easier to a street fight

BJJ
    Better passes
    Strong all around ground control
    More effective ground defense

I think if a Sambo master met a BJJ master in the ring it would be a great fight. If the Sambo guy managed to get BJJ guy off his feet and roll into one of his badass takedown subs he'll get it but if he doesn't go how he wants and the BJJ guy gets the upper hand on the ground he'll be screwed. Both styles are equally good in their own ways I like them both very much.
    LOL, resurrect threads much? I completely concur with your assessment though. It's nice to look back and see what my train of thought was 6 years ago.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 12:02pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, 6 years... I think I'd just gotten my black belt in Kuk Sool Won when this thread was started. Makes me want to put on my flashy general's uniform and go ask someone to grab my wrist.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 12:38pm

Style: BacktoSanshou, nogiBJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by canstrovious View Post
    **** n!ggers
    Well that wasn't very nice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 12:39pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I appreciate that this is a very old thread and I am in fact being a massive pedant however...

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Actually, in his book, the canon of Judo, Mifune claims to have DEVELOPED the triangle choke.

So there.
    Sangaku Jime is not featured n Mifunes Canon, the technique this post references is Sangaku Gatame Ude hishigi (an armlock from the triangle position) p163 of the K. Sugai translation and p154 of the more comonly available Francoise White translation.

Sangaku Jime is supposedly the creation of Tsunetane Oda.

There.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/21/2011 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joz View Post
    I appreciate that this is a very old thread and I am in fact being a massive pedant however...

Sangaku Jime is not featured n Mifunes Canon, the technique this post references is Sangaku Gatame Ude hishigi (an armlock from the triangle position) p163 of the K. Sugai translation and p154 of the more comonly available Francoise White translation.

Sangaku Jime is supposedly the creation of Tsunetane Oda.

There.
    He knows that. We weren't being serious about who came up with the triangle choke.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast