221984 Bullies, 4157 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 83
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Bizzaro Root is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, Fl
    Posts
    1,044

    Posted On:
    7/28/2005 7:59am


     Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    So I was doing my normal surfing for MMA news and a forum title crossed my path on Sherdog. They're talking about BJJ vs. SAMBO. Which is better etc. As a SAMBO player let me state that in these situations BJJ is the better art:

    1. Wearing and manipulating the GI
    2. Smaller vs Bigger opponent
    3. Bottom position.
    4. Reversals

    That would be it.

    These days there is soooo much overlap that it doesn't matter what you choose as long as it isn't a stuck up instructor that refuses to roll and learn from everybody.

    Should you take SAMBO or BJJ first. I think everybod should start off with....Judo, because Judo will actually work on your base then flip a coin and cross train as much as you want.

    There, anybody want to argue? :new_uklia
    as usual you are correct.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

    Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

    Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

    Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

    Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."


    Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.
  2. TylerDurden is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cheeseland
    Posts
    1,177

    Posted On:
    7/28/2005 8:08am


     Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You forgot one, very important thing. The thong. BJJ is the best training to ready you for wearing a thong. I mean, who wants to see a big hairy Russian in a thong? Not that you could wear one there without getting a NASTY case of frost bite anyways.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?
  3. Poop Loops is offline
    Poop Loops's Avatar

    OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Americastan
    Posts
    10,026

    Posted On:
    7/28/2005 11:19am

    supporting member
     Style: In Transition

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BatRonin
    Actually, in his book, the canon of Judo, Mifune claims to have DEVELOPED the triangle choke.

    So there.
    I wonder what he was trying to do when he developed it.

    PL
  4. Yrkoon9 is offline
    Yrkoon9's Avatar

    Brock Sampson

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Land of the Living
    Posts
    4,590

    Posted On:
    7/28/2005 12:34pm

    supporting member
     Style: 5.56

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think we are coming full circle to a point where many arts are becoming unrecognizable from thier original forms. So when someone says, I do BJJ you have to wonder...old, new, MMA Xtrained, pure sport, no gi?

    What we all need to recognize is that ninjitsu can claim heritage to all of it because way way way back some samurai who trained in jiu jitsu started up ninjitsu, so everything Judo/Sombo/BJJ guys do - ninja's also do and we would all be well advised to don some tabi's and show the proper fucking respect.
  5. VikingPower is offline
    VikingPower's Avatar

    Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,993

    Posted On:
    7/28/2005 1:07pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    I think we are coming full circle to a point where many arts are becoming unrecognizable from thier original forms. So when someone says, I do BJJ you have to wonder...old, new, MMA Xtrained, pure sport, no gi?
    That's a pretty good point, as every martial art has gone a few different ways. Take karate. You'll have hard (kyokushin, goju-ryu), soft (isshin-ryu, American Karate). Those that train for point fighting, others for bare-knuckle kumite, others for "self-defense" or flashy XMA exhibitions and kata demos. Die-hard traditionalists who do everything they used to back in the day without changing it, and those who try to evolve it to fit more modern times. That's a good point Yrkoon.
  6. KCAS is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4

    Posted On:
    7/28/2005 2:00pm


     Style: none

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    As a SAMBO player let me state that in these situations BJJ is the better art:

    1. Wearing and manipulating the GI
    2. Smaller vs Bigger opponent
    3. Bottom position.
    4. Reversals

    That would be it. :new_uklia
    As a noob, 2-4 seem like pretty compelling reasons to take BJJ. What would be the advantages to Sambo besides leg locks?
  7. Ronin is offline

    Merry Christmas Bitch

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    20,888

    Posted On:
    7/28/2005 2:52pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    That's a pretty good point, as every martial art has gone a few different ways. Take karate. You'll have hard (kyokushin, goju-ryu), soft (isshin-ryu, American Karate). Those that train for point fighting, others for bare-knuckle kumite, others for "self-defense" or flashy XMA exhibitions and kata demos. Die-hard traditionalists who do everything they used to back in the day without changing it, and those who try to evolve it to fit more modern times. That's a good point Yrkoon.

    Isshin-ryu is NOT a soft system, I think you mean Wado-ryu.

    heck, its pretty funny but, technique wise I remember a BJJ BB telling me that I could fake a BJJ BB if I wanted, except for the whole rolling and getting owned by blue belts...fuckers.

    Anyways...
  8. daGorilla is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA area
    Posts
    1,043

    Posted On:
    7/28/2005 3:14pm


     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BatRonin
    Isshin-ryu is NOT a soft system, I think you mean Wado-ryu.

    heck, its pretty funny but, technique wise I remember a BJJ BB telling me that I could fake a BJJ BB if I wanted, except for the whole rolling and getting owned by blue belts...fuckers.

    Anyways...
    Just get a very dark blue belt. Then when you get owned, you can reveal that you are actually just a blue belt!

    I keep an assortment of vaguely odd colored belts for just such an emergency...

    -daGorilla
  9. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,949

    Posted On:
    7/28/2005 4:30pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KCAS
    As a noob, 2-4 seem like pretty compelling reasons to take BJJ. What would be the advantages to Sambo besides leg locks?
    Fuckin newbs....

    :5masked:

    1. Throws.
    2. Specialty Locks
    3. Self-defense
    4. No-Gi defense
    5. More submissions....BJJ is a better at the position game.
  10. Aesopian is offline

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,501

    Posted On:
    7/28/2005 11:25pm

    Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    3. Self-defense
    4. No-Gi defense
    5. More submissions....BJJ is a better at the position game.
    lol ok u can keep tellang urself taht 2 maek up 4 ur glaring bjj penis envay :XXarcade:
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.