Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 5:12pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never taken Sambo, but I'd imagine that I'd start with the best coach and roll with everyone. So, if the BJJ coach is better then the Sambo Coach, then I'd go with him, or vise versa.

Oh yea...and Judo rules.

:icon_chee

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 5:20pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aesopian
    chokes :5squeeze:

Over SAMBO, you're right but every choke I've seen in BJJ schools are the one's I learned in Judo. A lot of SAMBO guys cross train in Judo.

Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 5:46pm

supporting member
     Style: American Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You said that BJJ is better for fighting from the bottom. Does sambo not have guard work or just not as much as BJJ? Could you maybe enlighten us mortals as to what is the strategy for positioning in Sambo?

"There is no such thing as a bisexual man. If you like dick, you're gay."

BJJ Purple Belt

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 6:08pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    Over SAMBO, you're right but every choke I've seen in BJJ schools are the one's I learned in Judo. A lot of SAMBO guys cross train in Judo.
    Thats not true- BJJ invented t3h triangle choke........

*Waits for flamers*
    :toothy2:

Seriously thouhg, the reason why sambo doesnt have a whole lot of guard work (compared to BJJ) is because pinning an opponent scores points in Sambo just like in Judo. Unlike Judo however, the guard does not stop the pin. This means that even though youre in the guard position, you are still being pinned and your opponent is still scoring points.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 6:18pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guard is not permitted in SAMBO.

BTW Gumby (smart ass)

http://www.hoebeke.nl/images/technie...nkaku-Jime.JPG

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KickAHippie
    You said that BJJ is better for fighting from the bottom. Does sambo not have guard work or just not as much as BJJ? Could you maybe enlighten us mortals as to what is the strategy for positioning in Sambo?
    I'm no sombo expert with only 1 year, but I would say it's more like judo and wrestling when it comes to the guard. We would work from the guard, but I don't think it's considered a desireable position like in BJJ. Being held down in sombo can cost you 4 points (for 20 seconds) if I remember correctly, and course in judo 25 seconds in osaekomi is an ippon for the win. For this reason many judoka (myself included) don't feel comfortable on their backs, especially those of us who wrestled.

*Edit* Gumby beat me to it. I was cooking and had to put out a fire, so I missed the answer already posted.
    Last edited by lawdog; 7/27/2005 6:31pm at .

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 6:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    Thats not true- BJJ invented t3h triangle choke........

*Waits for flamers*
    :toothy2:

WRONG!!! _ING FUCKING _HUN did 3 million years ago. However some TKD scholars debate that saying that the technique was stolen from them.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 8:34pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it just me or does it sound like judo is doing a comeback as an efective martial art system in people's opinion? 'cause I remember a time when someone would say he/she was a judoka and people would nod their head and say ok, cool, but the moment someone would say kickboxing or even tkd they would be all over you asking you about your gym, fights, etc? It just sounded like judo was something kids would do...at least that was how it looked to me in Portugal.
    I have to admit that was my opinion and the opinion of lots of people(maybe it still is) when I was a kid, until I saw a demo by a judo teacher in my school and suddenly everthing changed. Didn't learn judo but I find it cool.

Sambo over BJJ? Well...I don't study either but I would say that sambo has more leglocks then BJJ and some unsual atacks from what I have seen

Posted On:
    7/28/2005 3:30am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    Should you take SAMBO or BJJ first. I think everybod should start off with....Judo, because Judo will actually work on your base then flip a coin and cross train as much as you want.
    I really wish I had been able to start my grappling career with Judo. Counting my no gi days, I've been doing BJJ for about 14 months, and so far I enjoy the standing game more than the ground game. Unfortunately, the only local Judo club that is a reasonable distance from me has a reputation for being an injury factory, especially with the white belts.

On the other hand, the bjj club I train with currently works stand up 2 days a week out of 6, so at least I get some practice with it.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    7/28/2005 6:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, in his book, the canon of Judo, Mifune claims to have DEVELOPED the triangle choke.

So there.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast