Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 9:22pm

Style: Kung fu, Jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WarriorOfLuv, even if nothing is going to be proven, at least it gets people thinking about their stance and educated about others'. Open debate is a good thing.

gcarson, I seem to remember a documentary about some archeological excavation/trip that occurred somewhat recently that supported the idea that the flood in the story of Noah's Ark was when a river broke through a mountain pass and flooded a valley, creating the Black Sea. That valley would certainly be "the world" to the people living there. This explaination makes much more sense to me than to think that somehow the entire globe was flooded.
    Last edited by sidran; 7/25/2005 9:30pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 9:23pm

Style: none currently

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Riiiight...the floodgates of heaven....
    So the water just evaporated back into heaven so that god could leave us with absolutely no evidence of his divinely inspired account?

jesusneverexisted.com looks poorly put together on first glance, but there actually appears to be some good reasearch there...interesting

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 9:23pm

Style: TSD, Kung-Fu, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Over a hundred responses! Glad to be apart of this thread.
    Love,
    Spondo

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 9:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and then some

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOfLuv
    This discussion is not going anywhere. Nothing's gonna be proven--typical of 'origins' debates. The only thing that mattered was Beka's recommendation of the book.

Peace

Well in that case you better read it. It's inexpensive, and there's always the library. I'm going to call my sister and ask for it back. She's had plenty of time to read it.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 9:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [bad joke]No Jesus-Jitsu or Wing Christ?[/bad joke]

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 9:27pm

Style: Byakuren Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sidran
    gcarson, I seem to remember a documentary about some archeological excavation/trip that occurred somewhat recently that supported the idea that the flood in the story of Noah's Ark was when some river (I think) broke through a mountain pass and flooded a valley, creating the Black Sea, I believe it was. That valley would certainly be "the world" to the people living there. This explaination makes much more sense to me than to think that somehow the entire globe was flooded.
    Yup I saw the same one...but I think it was during a volcanic activity that melted some big ass glaciers or such, and as a historical point of reference of the origin of the flood story, it makes total sense. The "whole world" is totally based on your perspective and exposure. I believe that the most enduring points of reference, whether they are called biblical or mythical, have some basis in fact. Whether they are sent by God or used to explain someones already existing belief is up the individual.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 9:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    General question: Why do you believe in God?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 9:28pm

Style: Byakuren Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't but thanks for askin.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 9:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean to everyone.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 9:32pm

Style: Russian boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by beka
    You see, the points of the folklorist are indeed not moot. When we live in a time when people claim divine right, when Christians believe that the bible is solid, literal truth, to be followed as THE WORD OF GOD (when it is clearly the word of the folk), to determine what others can or cannot do, we have a BIG problem. And the point needs to be made, perhaps more gently as to not scare away the god botherers, that the bible isn't God's word, and that it cannot be imposed on others.
    Very valid concern. If you notice tho, I only mentioned that debates like this are moot TO ME. I don't see how the 'folkorizing' of the Bible can invalidate the Bible as the Word of God. Sure its stories arise in other cultural literature/myths but how does that take away from the fact that the Bible is not the Word of God? If anyone can write a good persuasive essay on how it does, then I'll deeply consider it.

Alas, my authority rests on Jesus, and I acknowledge the authority of the Old Testament because HE too acknowledged the authority of the Old Testament, despite the confusing parts of it. And if Jesus really found anything to 'invalidate' in the Old Testament, he would have done away with it altogether. Plus, he woulda done in such a way that it would have echoed through these centuries...Jesus was and is the most iconoclastic figure ever in history. So, if you really want to rile me up, you'd have to make a claim that Jesus never existed, is only a myth, or he isn't what the Bible shows him to be. Then we'll get the discussion rolling.
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast