Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2005 8:26pm

supporting member
     Style: MT, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Savatuer
    That spoiler is fake, and I doubt that Mr. Mcdojo has a chance in hell at winning anything.
    I SEE YOU WERE ROOTING FOR THE JAZZERCISER ALL ALONG.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2005 8:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actualy, pilates was made as an exercise system for soldiers. Bed-ridden soldiers for rehabilitation. That's still for soldiers.
    That's incorrect. They were not bed-ridden soldiers. They were fellow German internees. Most, like Joseph Pilates himself, were actually pacifists who had fled Germany for the U.K. to avoid fighting. Also, the system was developed by Joseph Pilates for himself. The other internees and the staff asked to be taught the system and it grew from there (so the story goes). It never had anything to do with soldiers, in fact, just the opposite.

As for yoga, I still don't see how it is remotely related to fighting. Just because it develops some attributes that may be beneficial to fighting doesn't make it related to fighting.

Olympic swimmers have great muscular endurance, a quality that many martial artists also develop.

Pro basketball players have great reflexes and hand-eye coordination, a quality that greatly benefits martial artists.

Rock climbers have great grips and are good at relaxing while under pressure and physical stress. Two things that grapplers train for.

Slalom skiers have great leg strength, beneficial to a kicker.

Marathon runners have developed a great "never quit" ethic that many martial artists strive for.

So, I guess these are are all remotely related to fighting as well. Certainly as much so as pilates, yoga, or jazzercise.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2005 8:36pm

Style: TSD, Kung-Fu, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just want to know, Lawdog, where did you hear about your Pilates info? I read in an internet encyclopedia that Pilates was made for bed-ridden soldiers, or at least used by them. And as for the yoga thing, well, it has alot of the art aspect. More spirtuality than rock climbing, swimming, slalom, running, and basketball. More similar to the martial ARTS. And remember, this is a joke. I would include any exercise routine that is often practiced by yuppie, fat, old Westerners( and more, depending what's practiced around the world).
    By the way, I am not rooting for Jazzercise. I am just booing Mcdojos.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2005 8:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just want to know, Lawdog, where did you hear about your Pilates info? I read in an internet encyclopedia that Pilates was made for bed-ridden soldiers, or at least used by them. And as for the yoga thing, well, it has alot of the art aspect. More spirtuality than rock climbing, swimming, slalom, running, and basketball. More similar to the martial ARTS. And remember, this is a joke. I would include any exercise routine that is often practiced by yuppie, fat, old Westerners( and more, depending what's practiced around the world).
    By the way, I am not rooting for Jazzercise. I am just booing Mcdojos.
    I took Pilates for about a year to help rehab a herniated disc. During that time I read a book on Joseph Pilates. The guy was a complete pacifist. He was asked to train the German military but refused, and fled to Brittain where he worked as a circus acrobat until the war broke out and he was interned with all the other Germans. That's where he took bed springs and began devising the apparatus still used today. I think the history is pretty common knowledge among Pilates practitioners, and I've heard the story several times aside from the book.

I've done a lot of yoga also, and I agree that it can greatly benefit MA training. And I see a lot similarities as well, however it's far from a fighting art. As I'm sure you know, most true yogis are basically pacifists and would never accept the premise that yoga is related to fighting.

I know it's a joke, but you (or someone) made a point of calling them all bullshidoka. I wouldn't consider an art that doesn't claim to teach you how to fight as bullshido. And to tell you the truth, I think the tournament as you've created it would be really boring as there would be very little of anything that actually resembles fighting, except maybe from the mcdojo. That would probably resemble fighting, even if it sucks.

Now, I'd like to see Aikido vs. Tai chi vs. coiperia. Or how about take a random sampling of maybe 50 of those BS video tapes, then take 50 people of comparable athletic skill and make them each study their respective tapes for 6 weeks. Then have your tournament as a showcase to demonstrate how effective (or ineffective) each tape is. Something like that might be interesting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2005 9:21pm

Style: TSD, Kung-Fu, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to let you know, Lawdog, I never intended to make those arts appear Bullshido. The core element of my tournament is to have a bunch of ( perhaps old and fat) people using a cheap fighting style, or an exercise routine like yoga( Think of someone threating you on the street saying " I know Tai chi!" or " I am a yoga master!"), to battle against one another. We could also throw in some nerdy wusses who think they have skill. It was not so much a MA battle as an ER ( exercise routine) battle. And, also, the very idea that Joseph Pilates was offered to teach the military makes this fighting related.
    Next chance I get, I will make a video for this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2005 10:22pm

Style: Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "If they were all equally athletic, and actually good athletes, then I think I'd give it to the Karate guy or the Tai chi guy, as long as it was taichi taught in a "use this technique this way in a fight," not taichi dance."
    Who said anything about Karate? Are you talking about the mcdojo guy? If you are, you should knowe that he is only a dancer. As for equally athletic, they would be. Most of them are old and fat. They should all be over 55, although if one guy's a wuss and under 55, we could make an exception.
    I think the video guy should be a pasty, out of shape computer nerd of about 18 who found a torrent of some RBSD video on Suprnova and figured he might as well check it out while waiting for his pirated copy of World of Warcraft was downloading.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/23/2005 11:17pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I play chess. BJJ is like a chess game. Therefore I know how to grapple.

PL

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    7/24/2005 12:15am

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm hedging my bets on the Rick Tew Martial Science guy.
    --
    L.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    7/24/2005 12:39am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop-Loops
    I play chess. BJJ is like a chess game. Therefore I know how to grapple.

PL

Ever play on a 3D set?

I'm hedging my bets on the Rick Tew Martial Science guy.
    Bill Nye could kick his ass.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/24/2005 1:46am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
    Ever play on a 3D set?
    That just blew my mind...

PL