Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 4:06pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bullshido saved my testicles from ninjas

A little background about myself first. I started going Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu when I was 18 because like many others I thought ninjas were awesome. My only previous MA experience was a month of Tae Kwon Do I did when I was like eight, and four years of high school wrestling. Anyways, I had researched it a little bit and it sounded pretty good since it incorporated striking, grappling, weapons, stealth, etc, and seemed like a very inclusive and open minded art. Three years later, I started watching more UFC and Pride fights and getting more into mma. It looked like fun and I wanted to try some sparring but my sensei kept feeding me the "too deadly to spar" line. Ignoring him, I started sparring with some friends of mine and I realized that I had no idea what I was doing. Through a routine online search to find a decent pair of mma gloves to train with, I stumbled across Bullshido. After reading a few of the ninja threads I found myself agreeing with all of the criticisms of BBT, but I wasn't able to bring myself to just up and quit. After all, I had invested three years of my life into something and I wasn't ready to admit that I had wasted my time. However, I did start taking bjj classes since my sensei didn't teach any ground work and I thought it'd be a nice supplement as well as fun since I'd be getting back to my wrestling roots.

Turning Point #1
    After two or three bjj classes I told my sensei that I had started bjj, so me and him did a little bit of light rolling. I was able to get rear mount and while going for a RNC, he kept telling me that if this were the street he'd be biting my arm. He managed to get to his back and put me in full mount, upon which he said "what do they tell you to do if your opponent does THIS!!?" and simulated an eye gouge. Thanks to Bullshido, my bullshit detector started going through the roof, but I stayed calm and just went for a basic armbar. Of course I missed it because well, I didn't know how to do an armbar since I'd only been to like 2 bjj classes, but I thought that'd be nicer than just punching my sensei in the face and saying "on the street I'd be beating the **** out of you".

Turning Point #2
    A few days later my sensei was showing me some techniques he'd just picked up at a seminar. One of which involved punching to the chest followed by a kick to the groin and then a stomp kick to the knee. Being the nice training partner that I am, I decided to just kick my training partner in the upper thigh but was scolded by sensei for doing the technique incorrectly. He then properly demonstrated the technique on me by kicking me in the balls. When it was my turn to be uke, my partner who is also a pretty nice guy, was stopping his kicks right below my balls. Again, sensei properly demonstrated the technique. My partner was now lightly kicking me in the balls but seriously, a light tap is plenty to get a good response out of me, especially when I've already been kicked there a couple times. Sensei says that he's still not doing it correctly, and to kick harder. I don't know how many times I was kicked in the balls that day, but it was a lot. Now, I like to think that I'm not a *****. I got kneed in the balls a few days ago at bjj and didn't stop, but when I'm being repeatedly kicked in the balls just to demonstrate a crappy technique that probably doesn't work in the first place, well it wears on you.

Turning Point #3
    After the ball kicking technique, we went into a new series of techniques which involved both people wearing swords and defending attacks such as punches and wrist grabs. Why I would choose to punch someone who has a sword, or punch someone if I have a sword is completely beyond me. But it was while doing these techniques that I finally realized that I wasn't learning how to fight, I was larping. My sensei who touts himself as only training in that which is useful and not wanting to waste time sparring because it doesn't include deadly techniques, was spending a day teaching us how to defend a fucking lunge punch while carrying a katana. That was my last day of Bujinkan training.

In summation, thank you Bullshido. Without you my testicles would be bruised and swollen leaving me unable to bear children, and I would probably still be swinging a bokken and running around in tabi.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 4:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thomaspaine
    but I thought that'd be nicer than just punching my sensei in the face and saying "on the street I'd be beating the **** out of you".
    I love this line the best.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 4:13pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can still run around in tabi. Just make sure no one is looking.

Take up boxing or Muay Thai and your transformation will be complete.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's clear your sensei had an obsession with your balls. Getting out of there ASAP was a good move.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 5:18pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    You can still run around in tabi. Just make sure no one is looking.

Take up boxing or Muay Thai and your transformation will be complete.
    I'd like to do Muay Thai but the only gym I know of that's near me is about 40 minutes away, and I'm poor. So I'm sticking with the bjj for now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 5:32pm

Style: Judo, Brazilian Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ninjas were people who trained, developed, and specialized in techniques of infiltration, stealth, and killing (usually unsuspecting) people with WEAPONS! Not MMA, not streetfights, etc. Why can't BBT senseis admit that to prospective people. If I were in their shoes and someone comes to me wanting to "learn how to fight on the street" or just be a "good fighter" I would refer them to some BJJ/Judo/or MT school, but I could still point out some benefits of taking the BBT as well. Anything that is social and athletic is better than sitting on one's ass watching TV all day, and I am sure that Taijutsu CAN in some way help a person with their other, more practical MA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 6:55pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what a good story. :) i also want to take bjj seems really effective with the armbars and other submissions

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 6:58pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask your Sensei how he can carry on the lineage if all his testicles are crushed all the time.

Actually that might explain your Sensei
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 7:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are there a bunch of ninja clones running around out there, 'cause, aside from the 'nad kicking, this sounds just like the guy I trained with?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 7:57pm

Style: TKD; BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe they did "Iron Ball" training. That would explain the excessive groin contact.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast