Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2005 3:15am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Kendo, Iaido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE= He's supposed to be one of only 2 judans in Judo in the world.

[/QUOTE]

I am afraid O sensei (He is not frigging Irish!!) may have awarded himself that Judan. His USMA is known to be, shall we say, keen to give people rank. I have received several invites to be nominated as a Hall of Fame member, as long as I shell out a cool $500. All from being on the same e-mail list......

IJF promoted Anton Geesink and Charles Palmer to Judan a few years ago, and I think Geesink might be the only living Judan (officially recognized from IJF or Kodokan). However, I would be happy to be corrected.

However dodgy Porters ranking may be, I have only heard good things about his skill, and would take the opportunity to train with him if I could.

Cheers
    Last edited by gabro; 7/23/2005 3:35pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/23/2005 3:17am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL......and they wonder why I seperated myself from a guy who got his 6th degreee for such an association.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2005 8:03am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Author of Philosophy of Fighting: Morals and Motivations of the Modern Warrior Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    .......Besides this point....Keith....You've been a member here for nearly 3 years, I can't believe you only have 87 posts!!!! :dontknow:

Yeah, sorry about that. I like to lurk and I only post if I feel I've got something worthwhile to say. I like reading the argument threads, but I just don't have the patience to participate. Hope that's cool. Now, back to lurking. :hiding:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2011 11:48am

Style: My Own Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this is many years after the last post here but I did quite a bit of searching the threads to find anything on Philip Porter. I don't even know if he is still alive...

Many years ago he held a seminar in my fair state of Vermont. Yes, I learned some techniques which is all well and good, but...

during his lecture he suddenly went off on a tangent and had an outburst about "all the unborn babies being killed".. I don't know wtf that has to do with martial arts, and I was quite surprised by this.

He also was shilling a lot of trinkets after the seminar -- patches, pins, and name your rank certificates for a price.

That is alll I can tell you...I'll let you be the judge.

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 11:52pm

Style: Mixed, Hybrid.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Porter awarded Carter Hargrave with Hall of Fame credentials...

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

'nuff said.
    Last edited by frogninja; 5/13/2011 12:25am at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12