Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2005 1:23am

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh there should be...

Heres a message aimed at all martial artists -- if you think your style has taught you to fight and that you havent done many hours of sparring then you are wrong!

Its not a matter of 'teh d3@dly' or 'secret techniques' ... there are only styles of fighting... and if you learn a style you must then learn to apply it by fighting with it...

Lineage in martial arts is utter bullshido and is just a marketing thing in a world where the true quality of an instructor are difficult to some up quickly.... if your WC instructor is hung up on forms, stylised drills, and lineage then you're in a bad way.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/24/2005 1:25am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    Don't strawman me with that ****, if you wanna be ignorant then fine, but WT and WC are different. Should I think all JJ is the same, or all karate? Names means something.....I do EBMAS anyway, and there is only one way to spell that.....:) :icon_cycl :laughing6

WT starts with basic Kickboxing and single arm chi sau, and after some drills with partners we do spar, and then more drills and then more sparring....

But we don't require Heavy Sparring for everyone. Some people just wanna have fun.

"My counter to that is that infrequent sparring will make you good never, and it could get you killed. Not to mention, people that spar more have more control, more focus, more intensity, and more sense regarding their own abilities and limits then people that only do it once a month or once a quarter. "

I agree, sparring is great. What else you got. Personally, I don't think most people want to go to work with black eyes, broken noses, taped up fingers, or shoulder slings every week 'cause they had to heavy spar to get redy for the "Deadly Streets". and most people don't want knee surgery every year or head trama either....

Get you killed doing what? Picking fights? You can get killed doing any fighting, and so real fighting should be avoided. If you cann't avoid it, then it means someone is gonna try to kill you anyway, so you fight with what you got.....

"Also, sparring builds stamina for sparring, so people that spar often quickly cease to be "most people"

Yes, fine, stamina, and the ability to take a punch, timing and control of distance, reading body language, applying power to knock someone down, I get it....we do that. What else you got? Anything? Is it all sparring?
    First off, that post would be about 5 times as readable if you'd use the super-neat quote button.

Who's strawmanning who, here? Your only response to my argument seems to be "LOL YOU CAN'T JUST SPAR." Well, no ****. Here, have a fucking Moron Treat, that's the prize for strawmaning my argument that actually fighting should be a part of learning to fight into an implication that I think a martial arts class should just be a jumbled-ass fight club. Don't be so lame.

Jesus Christ.

And as for "Broken Noses Black Eyes Taped Up Fingers At Work And Play AKA Non Sparring Rationalization #54" (hearafter shortended too BNBETUFAWAPAKANSR#54 for brevity) - that's a **** argument. Ignoring the fact that most people really don't have jobs where you get fired for showing up with a bruise (another non-sparrer illusion), with the use of gloves, a mouth piece, an optional boxing head gear, and light hand and foot padding, you can spar hard on a daily or semi daily basis without regularly incurring any injuries grossly inconsistent with the normal risks associated with hard daily excercise. If you alternate days of grappling or randoori type practice, you can spar hard all week and very seldom have a mark on your face.

And if the god-damn lineage makes such a fucking difference, why don't the lot of you do a goddamned map key or something, because while you all can spend hours and hours telling us who had the real WC, to the rest of us, it all just looks like pretty much the same douchewater out of different faucets. Police your own good name.

When I look at the various _ing _un, I don't really see a qualitative or stylistic differnce between the lineages I've been shown, which kind of makes it all cock waving.

That's probably the key difference between an art that participates in hard fighting and one that doesn't - the semi-automatic interpolicing of bullshit.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/24/2005 1:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On another note - why does the WC world have the "IF YOU MOCK MY STYLE YOU ARE A NECKLESS SPORTFIGHTER ONLY TRAINING FOR THE RING, I TRAIN FOR BARFIGHTS WITH SKINHEADS" syndrome SO bad?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    7/24/2005 1:32am

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't say I got the real anything did I?

"... if anything it suffers from a lack of a cross." yes, true enough....thats why EBMAS has Latosa Escrima too....

The style is highly variable and has been cloned ad infinity for 30 years. Just wait to see what happens to BJJ in 20 more years, The real deal will be harder and harder to find amongst all the copycats, clones, and splitters that started their own version after two years lessons. It happened to Karate allready too.

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/24/2005 1:35am

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only reason WCers lose internet battles is because they can't eye poke.

PL

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/24/2005 1:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't say I got the real anything did I?

"... if anything it suffers from a lack of a cross." yes, true enough....thats why EBMAS has Latosa Escrima too....

The style is highly variable and has been cloned ad infinity for 30 years. Just wait to see what happens to BJJ in 20 more years, The real deal will be harder and harder to find amongst all the copycats, clones, and splitters that started their own version after two years lessons. It happened to Karate allready too.
    A d . . . i n f i n i t u m. Doc.

Or "Too infinity." Pick a language.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    7/24/2005 1:50am

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Johnny, I don't know why they have that no sport but bar fight attitude.

I read elsewhere on this board about boxer vs wrestler in a friendly match. The wrestler doesn't have to change much but the boxer , if he likes going for damage, has to change his whole game. If he knows and trusts his wrestler opponent, they can spar and compare notes. But if it is some guy off the street.....who knows....

I think _ing__un avoids sparring with walk ins cause they got everything to lose and nothing to gain. If you can't talk with them and show them what you teach, then soft sparring ain't gonna prove anything either. and if the walkin has a point to prove, you risk getting hurt, and they have no intrest in being a student anyway.

I did read on here that the bloods in New york are big Wing Chun fighters, maybe someone should go challenge them :bduh: (Joke)

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/24/2005 1:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Johnny, I don't know why they have that no sport but bar fight attitude.

I read elsewhere on this board about boxer vs wrestler in a friendly match. The wrestler doesn't have to change much but the boxer , if he likes going for damage, has to change his whole game. If he knows and trusts his wrestler opponent, they can spar and compare notes. But if it is some guy off the street.....who knows....

I think _ing__un avoids sparring with walk ins cause they got everything to lose and nothing to gain. If you can't talk with them and show them what you teach, then soft sparring ain't gonna prove anything either. and if the walkin has a point to prove, you risk getting hurt, and they have no intrest in being a student anyway.

I did read on here that the bloods in New york are big Wing Chun fighters, maybe someone should go challenge them :bduh: (Joke)
    The boxer has to change his whole game because a grappler WILL get into grappling range and WILL take it to the ground. The boxer has to change his stance and style to avoid being taken down.

I see your point and it's definately valid. But BJJ guys spar with walk-ins all the time, so that people know that their **** is real instead of saying "Grand Master Gracie once defeated 2395872358 ninja! It must work!". However, WC'ers either don't spar PERIOD, or when they do, it tends to look like ****. Then, when you point it out, someone is quick to yell "That's not the real WC!!" So where is the real WC? Do you have it? Show me.

That is bogus information.

PL

Posted On:
    7/24/2005 1:59am

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This whole thread makes me feel so lucky that I fell ass backwards and blind into a no bullshit sports style MA with a good coach! I often wonder where I would be if I had chosen a no sparing, too deadly, RBSD, 8,000 year old, eye poking, groin kicking, excuse for a martial art.

Come to think of it…I do know what would have happened…Dai-Tenshi would have found me and choked me back into reality!

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/24/2005 2:00am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just realized that your name is another name for Gandalf...

PL
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 34567 89101117 ... LastLast