Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2005 5:44am

supporting member
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a _ing _unner and I enjoy practising the art. All the inflated claims coming from so many just make me so tired though. Most of them I think practice very isolated. Kings of their own basement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2005 5:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Italy.

Try to explain, speaking of basic punches: strenght comes from the ground/stance, but in a different way than boxing. In boxing for i.e. a cross or a jab you turn the foot, leg, hip torso and shoulder in order to put weight on the punch.

In WT the stance aligns internally shoulder, back, hips, knee and foot and the body just "falls" a little bit upfront: this leads to advancing and putting in any kind of blow the sum of the different body parts effort plus the advancing.

In boxing you have a turning / spiral momentum, maybe helped with an advancing step in WT you have a bottom upwards momentum transferred with a slight advanicng/falling step.

They are both effective if properly trained (problem is boxers work a lot on heavy bags, WTnners usually don't, so the technique comes out shitty), but with the WT one process you need much less movement to put weight on the punch, and no stance preparation at all.

I can assure you that the WT punch if properly done is a really heavy one.

Problem is, again, that many WT practitioners only do "shadow WT", in the air, while you need to train like a boxer in order to make that kind of hit effective.

Posted On:
    7/22/2005 5:56am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bncwd
    if you really become the target of a takedown by an experienced wrestler/jodoka/jutsuka
    Well, if a jodoka wants to take you down, of course you're fucked. He's going to hit you repeatedly with a really big stick.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2005 6:03am

supporting member
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You still have to make the minor adjustment from your ale drinking stance to the aligned stance. You have to judge distance and strike.
    I would think the difference in time for a _ing _un guy to go from unprepared to strike would be quite insignificant compared to a boxer (but that is a guess, I haven't measured the times).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2005 6:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrosmurf
    You still have to make the minor adjustment from your ale drinking stance to the aligned stance. You have to judge distance and strike.

I would think the difference in time for a _ing _un guy to go from unprepared to strike would be quite insignificant compared to a boxer (but that is a guess, I haven't measured the times).
    Yes but that both for boxing and WT.

Having done both, at least for me WT is faster

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2005 6:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophist
    Well, if a jodoka wants to take you down, of course you're fucked. He's going to hit you repeatedly with a really big stick.
    Well MY stick is for sure bigger, so as far as my ego is concerned, I am fine

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    7/22/2005 6:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try to explain . . .
    Where, yet again all _ing _un threads go wrong . . .

**** you math class

Posted On:
    7/22/2005 6:22am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well MY stick is for sure bigger, so as far as my ego is concerned, I am fine
    Once again, a WC thread becomes a discussion of penises.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2005 8:22am

Style: nothing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes but that both for boxing and WT.

Having done both, at least for me WT is faster
    I don't think we punch any faster than any other art. Maybe it seems faster if you get proper positioning and can minimize the rest of your body's movement eliminating any telegraphing moves. Just my opinion.

Wing Chun Instructor

Posted On:
    7/22/2005 8:26am

Style: fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't understand why someone has to come in here and start comparing mainstream WC to MT, BJJ or anything. It's so tiring and boring. Yeah I know.... I'm not being forced to read this but it still cracks me up. I have said it in the past that a majority of the WC schools out there do not properly train for the street. But this doesn't mean that the system itself sucks.....only the practitioners within certain sectors. There are hardcore WC schools out there that work hard for combat effectiveness. Have we seen them in the dreaded octagon? nope.... but we haven't seen samurai swordsman in there either. Get my meaning?

Anyway...... I think the whole debate is a foolish one. I love WC and because I love it I open my eyes to the entire spectrum of WC/WT schools out there.... and boy do I see a lot of crappy ones. But I also am a martial artist first and formost, and this means I look at everything with wide open eyes and look for their merits. People say to me...."So you are a Wing Chun guy." My answer is "Nope.... I'm a kung fu guy who does Wing Chun." and by Kung Fu (aquired skill) I mean I try to be all around skilled and prepared for the varients of fighting. Stand up or ground..... it's all good to me. THAT is what true martial arts/sciences is all about.
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast