Thread: Just another WT(CH) thread
7/26/2005 6:40am, #151
- Join Date
- Apr 2005
Argument summarised for people who CBF reading this thread:
_ing _un is teh d3@dly! :love5:
Wing Chun! Wing Chun! Eeek..! *STOMP* *STOMP* *STOMP* *STOMP* Kill must kill it! :violent1:
Come on lets grow some hind brain here. Heres some points to bring it back to reality.
1. Wing Chun is the single most popular style of kung fu in the world (at least in the West). There are probably 1000s of instructors all teaching their own variant.
2. 99.9% of clubs are based on Yip Man's lineage. A lineage that is said to have reduced Wing Chun to make it easier to learn.
3. Lineage is a marketing tool to bring in new people.
4. Bruce Lee probably learnt not much Wing Chun. Almost none from Yip Man, and some from William Cheung when he was 19.
5. You can't learn to fight, or learn how to train for a fight, by not fighting.
6. Most WC people fall under the category of light-recreational martial artists that dont spar, or dont spar much. In this category they can be quite good.... most martial artists fall under this category.
7. Chi Sau is a drill aimed at teaching the WC people about a small part of the fighting process that WCers use.
8. The default strategry for a WC fighter will fight as follows: bridge the gap to the opponent so that they are about a forearms distance from the other person and use either short punches or kicks, a throw or sweep to bash them. This is why Chi Sau is important... you need to be able to redirect stuff as you are coming in. Needless to say that if the style of WC doesnt have much stand up grappling then its gonna not be so good at this strategy and will tend to have lots more long range techniques.
9. The pigeon toed stance is a bad idea in a fight due to bad balance, having no lead hand or leg. This is not a fighting stance. Some styles of WC have it as their fighting stance, some dont.
10. Chain punches are really a dumbed down way of trying to stop someone hitting you as you step in but are prone to double arm traps, hooks, and long range attacks. They dont have much power due to focus on speed and retraction and being purely tricep punches. Some styles focus on using chain punches in a fight, some just treat it as something you should practice to fight against.
11. There is no real WC. Just like there is no real karate, TKD, judo, arnis, MMA, krav, etc etc.
12. An effective WC would involve: sparring, conditioning for fights, bag work, takedowns with resistance.
13. WCers might not understand what is meant by a complete system. A complete system would involve: striking (tick), stand up grappling (depends on style tick), ground fighting (cross), weapons (tick -- but only forms, I have not seen anything like a complete system for weapons fighting as in Arnis). Does any style meet this criteria (perhaps ninj_tsu :lol: ) . Should a single style attempt to?
Last edited by I aint punchy!?; 7/26/2005 6:54am at .
7/26/2005 7:03am, #152
No, you are reading that no one believes a kick to the hips will stop a takedown. Please get these techniques on video against an actual shot. Otherwise we won't believe you. Ever.
Last edited by Locu5; 7/26/2005 10:53am at . Reason: changed "tape" to "video"Locu5
combat sports hobbyist
7/26/2005 10:32am, #153Originally Posted by I aint punchy!?
7/26/2005 10:34am, #154
chuck liddell has fan-fucking-tastic take down defense and is a hell of a striker. I've never seen him try to counter a take down in the manners you describe. Either you know something he doesn't or he knows something you don't. Guess where my money is?
7/26/2005 11:06am, #155Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
So on the one hand, we have lots of TV footage of it completely failing to work, and on the other, we have your word that it works.
I don't think it's unreasonable that we're going to assume you're talking bollocks unless you come up with something a bit more convincing.
7/26/2005 12:50pm, #156
Here's what you should do then to prove us wrong, Tzun:
Get a video of you defending against the takedown from somebody who's trying their best to take you down, defend against it, put it on Putfile.com, and send us the link. You could even have a friend help you and just show us what you mean.SON OF ODIN
My Punching with Power article
7/26/2005 1:03pm, #157Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
7/26/2005 1:33pm, #158
"Trying their best to take you down" does not mean a thing if they are not trained/able/skilled enough to make a valid takedown attempt.Locu5
combat sports hobbyist
7/26/2005 9:03pm, #159
Fellas, fellas, come on now. Aren't we forgetting the most important question of all?
Which lineage again are we talking about?
7/26/2005 9:28pm, #160Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu