Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 10:07am

Style: WC, Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    Johnny, thanks for the picks..the thrid one is very well executed, that is what I was discribing as good.

So nothing stops a good takedown, not punchs, elbows, kicks or eye gouges.
    We should teach them to the the military then....invincible.

Few people have died because noone is trying to hurt or kill eachother in the sport. Try a takedown on someone that pulls a knife once you commit.
    Blah blah blah. Just because someone said your elbow wasn't going to stop the grappler doesn't mean there's no stopping a takedown but whatever technique you have, it will not work 100%, you either are not the fastest or will not always be the fastest so saying you'll do 'move x' if someone ever were to shoot for your legs is ridiculous. It would be the same if a boxer were to say 'When he punches at me I dodge and punch him instead' well yeah sure he's trained to do that but it doesn't always work like that. Grapplers practice taking down resisting people constantly whereas since _ing _un has no shooters getting quality practice on any anti-takedown technique will be near impossible to do on a trained opponent.

Maybe a stickied _ing _un thread would at least allow people to browse through the comments looking for one that hasn't been said before.
    Last edited by The_Mirth; 7/25/2005 10:24am at .

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 10:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I once beat a WC stylist, to near loss of bladder control, with a big salami.

Salami = anti-WC.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 10:38am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    Johnny, thanks for the picks..the thrid one is very well executed, that is what I was discribing as good.

We should teach them to the the military then....invincible.

Few people have died because noone is trying to hurt or kill eachother in the sport. Try a takedown on someone that pulls a knife once you commit.

We DO teach it to the military. Actually, this part of WE does not, but Asia does.

RE Trying a takedown on someone with a knife:

Try a punch on someone with a knife, Doc.

If magik chain punches undid weapons, I don't think humanity would have made it out of the bronze age. The whole point of the guy having a knife is to have an advantage, and he still has it at the striking range. Stupid argument.

Try some nice, frilly TMA disarms on a guy wiht a knife, and you will probably get cut. Likewise, takedowns and strikes. You'd better just be FAR BETTER then the guy with the knife, or show him some shoe-fu.

Edit: BTW, that "WAAAAAAH I GUESS THERE IS NO STOPPING GRAPPLING EVER ANY WAY AT ALL" **** IS a strawman. You'd think you'd know what it meant, since you're so fond of accusing other people of it.
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 7/25/2005 10:42am at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 10:40am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BatRonin
    I once beat a WC stylist, to near loss of bladder control, with a big salami.

Salami = anti-WC.

If that is true, I will make you a saint in my church.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 10:44am

Style: Judo, a tiny bit of bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No no no, you're missing the point. Ridiculous, theoretical 'anti-grappling' doesn't stop takedowns. 'Anti-grappling' is an excuse used by people who refuse to crosstrain/learn grappling because they despereately want to believe their art is 'complete' or doesn't need grappling.

You stop a takedown by training in takedowns with people who are good at them, that is to say, training in a takedown art. Eventually, when you've developed a decent bottom game, and are able to get up regularly after being taken down, the takedown becomes less and less of a 'guaranteed loss' for you, even if your sprawl fails you. Then you start throwing knees from your spralw, and maybe even on the way in, and since you're not so worried about being taken down, and now understand the timing and mechanics of the takedown infinitely better, you start to connect with these. TADA! You've now got a trainable, repeatable defense against a grappler's takedown, AND you are not as good as done if said defense fails. You no longer have to rely on a single 'hail mary' strike, deadly or not, to save your ass.

Imagine I was a boxer and decided I want to learn to defend against chain punches. So I ask a random buddy of mine to throw a bunch of 'wing chun style punches' at me. He's never done wing chun before, but why let that stop me from convincing myself how easy it is to stop a wing chun guy from doing something he trains in all the time. I find some moves that would seem to maim or kill my friend if he attacks with a bunch of arm punches down the middle, though I can never really try them in sparring or with much power because they too deadly. How good do you think my odds of applying my 'anti-wing chun' techniques against a decent wing chun man are?
    Last edited by alittlebird; 7/25/2005 11:00am at .

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 10:46am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache
    If that is true, I will make you a saint in my church.
    Of course its true, I still have the salami.

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 10:47am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I once beat an attempted takedown with a salami too, not the same one that I defeat the WC guy with, but similar, I think it was more spicy...

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 12:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, for an art that worships a dead movie star who once said "empty your teacup," chunners have cups that overflow more than a clogged toilet. More bullshit comes out of them too.

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 12:29pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    You know, for an art that worships a dead movie star who once said "empty your teacup," chunners have cups that overflow more than a clogged toilet. More bullshit comes out of them too.
    And they're vulnerable to salamis.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    7/25/2005 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bruce Lee had bad English. What he was trying to say was, "Drink your fucking tea and get to work."
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14151617 ... LastLast