Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 12:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    Still, some guys are great fighters and shitty teachers.
    I totally agree. This is true of any coach in any sport. History is full of great coaches who were mediocre players. The true measure of a coach is the success of his players.

But, if you have nothing else to go on, it's certainly comforting to know your coach experienced some significant success in his sport. Also, coaches often emulate they way they were coached, so while we can't know for sure, it's reasonable to assume that he PROBABLY coaches much like the other coach.

If it were me, I'd just look at the fighters produced by each school and go with the one that produces the most succesful fighters. Whether those fighters are more succesful because they're trained better or simply because they are naturally more talented doesn't matter. Ultimately, you want to train with the best, in some ways, especially after a year of training, that might be more important than your coach's ability anyway.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 1:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies. I have sparred, and I am better than the new guys, and I get worked over by the guy that have been there longer than I have. Actually I got a pretty good beat down a couple of months ago. And I wonder if I started to question my boxing ability and whether or not I want to be there after that sparring session. I'm hoping we have a couple of boxers at the throwdown coming up, so I could see where I am. As far as my punches go I thought my jab was good, I need alot of work on my hook, my cross is ok, it's basically a reverse punch with alot more snap.

I will talk to my coach, I just don't want to start something between 2 gyms, based on something I could have misinterpeted.

I'm also not above thinking that I could just plain suck. I don't have any qualms with that notion.
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 7/21/2005 1:58pm at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12