Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do I know if I'm learning the right way.

I've been taking boxing for what will be a year in August, minus the month+ I took off because I've been extremely busy and strapped for cash. So yesterday I was looking at a couple of boxing gyms, just to see if they taught any differently or anything, plus I've been itching just to be in a boxing gym. So I checked this one gym out on my way to work, I tell him where I've been training and he said "I trained him, when I was training him he won the gloves". Basically he goes on to say in not so many words that my coach doesn't know how to train people like he does, and says that I probably feel like I haven't been learning anything. He then asks me throw on a glove and to just jab and move around the bag, and of course he see's something wrong with the way I move, and that I wasn't stepping into the jab. Then he goes on to say if anyone else in the gym feels like they haven't been learning that I should bring them over here.

So I kind of feel like it was a total sales job, but he struck a nerve, I don't know and I wouldn't know if I was taught properly. And it's something that has been in the back of my mind wondering if I've skipped over because they're waiting for me to lose more weight, or because they're getting ready for another competition.

So how would I know if I've been taught proplerly? What's the curriculum in a normal boxing gym? Where should I be after 10 to 11 months of training?

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 11:37am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not an easy answer to this. The way you really are going to know is when you step into the ring and fight/spar. If you can win or even hold your own then its not a waste. You should already be sparring after by 11 months if not then that can be a red flag. There are some coaches better than others but it really going to come down to you if you can apply it. I would also look at the fighters the coach is turning out. If he has strong fighters then something in his program is working.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 11:40am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like you have entered the world of politics in martial arts.

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 11:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing is, in many ways, the most simple of MA, and at the sametime, one of the most complex.

You have 4 punches - Jab, hook, uppercut and cross
    Defense wise - you have evasions, parries and blocks

And that's it.

What should you have learned in a year ?
    Everything.
    How could should you be ?
    Better than a beginner.

Sorry, but anything else is speculative.

Your jabs shoudl be able to place you or your oppenent where you want.
    Your cross should be able to hit what you aim for.
    You hooks should flow without effort from combinations.
    You uppercuts should be able to be both straight up and crossing.
    You should be able to do 6 rounds
    You shoudl be able to work the equipment, all of it, without having to pace yourself.

Defense wise, your hands should be up, you should be able to hit AND slip at the sametime.
    You should bob n weave at the knees and NOT the waist.

In short, you should be intermediate, BUT not perfect.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 11:48am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BatRonin

Your jabs shoudl be able to place you or your oppenent where you want.
    Your cross should be able to hit what you aim for.
    You hooks should flow without effort from combinations.
    You uppercuts should be able to be both straight up and crossing.
    You should be able to do 6 rounds
    You shoudl be able to work the equipment, all of it, without having to pace yourself.

Defense wise, your hands should be up, you should be able to hit AND slip at the sametime.
    You should bob n weave at the knees and NOT the waist.

In short, you should be intermediate, BUT not perfect.
    And to at to this your footwork needs to be able to allow you to get in on your opponent or away, which ever is needed. Footwork is a very important skill thats is often overlooked. You really don't know if you can do these things until you sparr.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 11:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EVIL ASIA
    And to at to this your footwork needs to be able to allow you to get in on your opponent or away, which ever is needed. Footwork is a very important skill thats is often overlooked. You really don't know if you can do these things until you sparr.

yep, for sure.

In short, any coach can pick apart what you are doing wrong, doesn't mean you haven't learned anything.
    I have seen pro champs drop their hands, lead with their chin, cross their legs while side stepping, all the mistakes that rookies do.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 11:57am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best thing to do would be to check out a training session and see his own fighters. Sparring one of his fighters if possible is also a great idea. If you're trouncing his fighters or see them and they look like ****, he's not teaching properly. If you're pounding one of his fighters into the corner and he starts walking you through trying to teach you to box "properly" and you end up taking a lot more hits than you did fighting your way, then he's not teaching properly. Ask your own trainer about him and find out what he thinks, then check out the sales-pitch guy and look into the fighters he's trained.

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 11:58am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BatRonin
    In short, any coach can pick apart what you are doing wrong, doesn't mean you haven't learned anything.
    I have seen pro champs drop their hands, lead with their chin, cross their legs while side stepping, all the mistakes that rookies do.
    Take Ali. Everything he did was "wrong" (kept his hands low, shuffled around and showboated, taunted his opponents to hit him, etc.) but it worked so well for him.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 12:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with all of these replies. Especially this:
    Not an easy answer to this. The way you really are going to know is when you step into the ring and fight/spar.
    If I were able to watch your coach train his fighters, it would be easier to determine how good he his, but without actually watching a session, it's extremely difficult.

Like Bat ronin said, there are basic fundamentals you should know by now, but by now you should also be developing your own style under the guidance of your coach. There is no right or wrong style, as long as it works for you.

One reason I wouldn't be too concerned is this:
    and he said "I trained him, when I was training him he won the gloves".
    It's kind of weird that the coach claims that your coach was trained by him, won the Golden Gloves, yet isn't capable of training anybody himself. I think it's probably just a sales pitch.

My best advice is to find somebody who has some solid boxing experience and ask them to come watch one your training sessions.

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 12:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog
    It's kind of weird that the coach claims that your coach was trained by him, won the Golden Gloves, yet isn't capable of training anybody himself. I think it's probably just a sales pitch.
    Still, some guys are great fighters and shitty teachers.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast