Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 2:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So you don't believe in Ki?

Well, the military does...industrial strength Ki.

Scientists worry about Pentagon’s new ray gun
    Lenses, pocket change could intensify effect of ‘less lethal’ weapon

Reuters
    Updated: 1:10 p.m. ET July 20, 2005

LONDON - Scientists are questioning the safety of a "Star Wars"-style ray gun due to be deployed in Iraq for riot control next year.

The Active Denial System weapon, classified as “less lethal” by the Pentagon, fires a 95-gigahertz microwave beam at rioters to cause heating and intolerable pain in less than five seconds.

The idea is that people caught in the beam will rapidly try to move out of it and therefore break up the crowd.

But New Scientist magazine reported Wednesday that during tests carried out at Kirtland Air Force Base in New Mexico, participants playing the part of rioters were told to remove glasses and contact lenses to protect their eyes.

In another test, they were also told to remove metal objects like coins from their clothing to avoid local hot spots developing on their skin.

“What happens if someone in a crowd is unable for whatever reason to move away from the beam,” asked Neil Davison, coordinator of the non-lethal weapons research project at Britain’s Bradford University. “How do you ensure that the dose doesn’t cross the threshold for permanent damage? Does the weapon cut out to prevent overexposure?”

The magazine said a vehicle-mounted version of the weapon named Sheriff was scheduled for service in Iraq in 2006, and that U.S. Marines and police were both working on portable versions.

Copyright 2005 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.
    © 2005 MSNBC.com

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8644374/

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 2:54pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there was a great microwave gun in Crusader: No Regret. it fried the enemies real good.

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 4:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For a while these things were called 'non-lethal weapons', but now i hear the term 'less-than-lethal weapons'. Must be the pocket change.

The eargerness to develop these things gives apretty clear indication of what the next generation of conflicts will look like..
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 4:19pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I prefer the soundwave version. Cooking someone eyeballs and organs doesn't strike me as very humanitarian.

Maybe they could just put a big magnifying glass in the sky and burn people like ants. Yeah! That's the ticket!

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 4:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA, functional JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Maybe they could just put a big magnifying glass in the sky and burn people like ants. Yeah! That's the ticket!
    I'm sure they're working on it!
    "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 4:42pm

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    there was a great microwave gun in Crusader: No Regret. it fried the enemies real good.
    That game was great, too bad I can't get it working on windows 2000.

As for nonleathal weapons they should help soldiers with the duties they're not really trained for.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 6:15pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NExt thing you know, they will mount this on a satellite and use it to make all of France unfortable.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 6:19pm

Style: Judo, a tiny bit of bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    personally, I think some sort of automated bean bag cannon with a height adjustment that lets it target the groin of anyone between 4'5" to 6'10" would be an ideal 'non-lethal' weapon. Its effective, its funny for both the cops and any bystanders/tv viewers, and it may sterilize the victim. Everyone wins!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 6:20pm

Style: butt kickery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reading the first line after the title, I thought that the U.S. military had just hired Soke Calkins.

*shudder*

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 8:39pm

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the real problem with less lethal weaponry is that it gets employed with less thought and restraint than conventional, supposed-to-be-lethal weaponry.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast