Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 10:23pm

Style: TSD, Kung-Fu, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bashing MMA

Traditional martial artists sometimes complain that their art is being bashed for bad reasons. They say that skill depends on the person not the style; they say that they don't need to prove themselves to anyone. Some of them say that you need to depend with faith in the art. I have to say that almost all of them talk in rhetorics. Now all this is ok with me, but oftentimes these traditional martial artists go on and bash newer concepts like mixed martial arts.
    Here are some of the things they say about MMA:
    " Mixed martial artists throw sloppy blows."
    " They spend to much time on the ground."
    " They fight like monkeys."
    " Mixed martial arts have no forms! Forms are the life and spirit of all MA."
    " There are rules in UFC, so it is just another tournament. If they fought in our tournaments with our rules, they would probably lose."
    " MMA is overhyped."
    " MMA is not really old. The arts in them have been around for a really long time."
    " They have no grace."
    " It is not a real street-fighting situation."
    Ok, those are just some of the things those " victim" traditional martial artists have said. In my opinion, the negative viewpoint towards MMA is totally based on bad reasons. Here is what I have to say:
    1. " Mixed martial artists throw sloppy blows." Well, although the blows look sloopy, they are quite effective. Just because their punches and kicks don't look as impressive and intimidating as your mcdojo fancy jumping and spinning kicks, doesn't mean they aren't powerful. You try all day to perfect the form and technique of your punches so they look great ,well executed, and graceful. But just because you can throw a " perfect" punch in the air and in point sparring doesn't mean you can compete with the power and speed of the mma powerful punches and kicks. They can apply those blows under pressure, can you?
    2. " They spend to much time on the ground. If there were multiple assailants in a real fight against you, the ground would be dangerous." Well that may be true in some cases, but if you are taken to the ground, what do you do? If you can't fight back on the ground or counter takedowns to get off of the ground and prevent going there, you are at a lose. And plus, what if you are fighting one-on-one, and if you are taken down without the risk of being stomped on, how do you fight back? If a mixed martial artist got into a real fight, he/she wouldn't try to go on the ground with his assailant if there are more people around. He/she would fight back in stand-up, and if he did go to the ground, he would be able to fight back. You however, being taken down, would probably be at a lose. Ground fighting is more than simple horse play, it's serious. You can't use the punches and kicks you learned at this range, you are in trouble.
    3. " They fight like monkeys.' Good. You forget what modern science has proved monkeys to be. They are acrobatic and intelligent. They have skill, and when in a battle, they fight back with valor and ferocity. they are balanced, and often gentle when not fighting. I guess traditional martial artists don't like these traits.
    4. "MAAs have no form! Forms are the life and spirit of all MA." Forms? As in katas, which is what most mcdojos have their students spend all day on. Forms that have no application in a real fight; forms with fixded, fancy manuevers. You know what forms really were used for? They were used to secretly practice illegal martial arts in Asia. That's it. We don't need to keep practicing forms; MA is not illegal today. We could just practice techniques, and f MA becomes illegal, we make up forms based on those techniques.
    5. " There are rules in UFC, so it is just another tournament. If they fought in our tournaments with our rules, they would probably lose." Yes there are rules in the UFC currently, but alot less rules than your competitions. Due to this, the UFC is them most realistic simulation of any one-on-one fight. When the TMA bring up what is in quotes, they seem to try to tell ust that they think they could beat UFC fighters if there was no rules. They seem to say that a groin shot , a bite, and an escape would make themselves win. Well, the UFC guy ain't just gonna let you pull that off. Do you remember when, in early competitions, Karate men faught Thai boxers? The Muay Thai destroyed the Karate fighters. Imagine those fights without rules. Remember, the Thai guy has no rules laid on him too.
    6. " MMA is overhyped." That is because MMA is an effective combat concept that has overcome fighters practicing solely traditional arts. Like the Karate styles that, might I add, have been hyped in movies, products, and a sh*t load of other areas way before the advent of MMA. Remember, TMA is hyped alot by the mcdojos.
    7. " MMA is not really old. The arts in them have been around for a really long time." I will agree that that is true, but the CONCEPT of MMA is newer. In the old times, people joined arts and sports like karate and believed that their sole art was the best. They believed that the training they recieved was superior. Then guys like Bruce Lee started promoting cross-training so the student could aquire more skills in more areas. And now, in this age, people are catching on.
    8. " They have no grace." No grace? Trust me, in the UFC, it is hard to pull of an effective move under that sort of pressure. Without the skills and grace they have, they would be devastated. They don't look graceful because of the pressure. Plus, if you are implying that fancy, graceful movements are the key tro ggod fighting, then you should try fighting a mixed martial artist and see what yoy can pull off.
    9. " It is not a real street-fighting situation." I already covered this in most areas, but there is more to say. If the mma situations are not close to real SD situations, than neither are your katas or fancy kicks. You don't need to learn all those extra techniques to be a good fighter. MMA teaches students techniques often used in SD, and the mixed martial artists have an easy time creating there own personal style.

Well, there is much more to say, but I will be back. Next I will bash TMA!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 10:32pm

Style: WC, Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well you have the political opponent speech down. Put words in your "opponent"'s mouth and then refute them. I'll see you on super tuesday.

There is still much more to say but I will be back. Next I will bash the homeless.

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 10:35pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting. Someone should come up with a website dedicated to rooting out McDojo's and exposing the weaknesses of TMAs.
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 10:38pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, that couldn't be Bullshido.
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 10:42pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Mirth
    Well you have the political opponent speech down. Put words in your "opponent"'s mouth and then refute them. I'll see you on super tuesday.

There is still much more to say but I will be back. Next I will bash the homeless.
    We call this the "strawman fallacy."
    --
    L.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 10:51pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so... is it better to train in both striking AND grappling? or can i just use one or the other?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 11:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dude, this has been done about a billion times. search function.

let us all nutride mma like this nutriding is something new.

if you'll exuse me, i'm going to go practice some cresent kicks...

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 11:32pm

Style: required field? wotsthat?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DADDY PUT HIS WEE WEE IN MY BAD PLACE

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 11:59pm

Style: Shotokan & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!