222246 Bullies, 3739 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 11:29pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    11 posts to send/recieve PMs, sorry. We did that because we had a lot of people who'd just register accounts to send harassing PMs and never post.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 12:16am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will try to remember the guys name who could levitate. I know it was larry somethingorother. He used to teach near the HEB shopping center off East Riverside. I'll ask my girl. She has a knack for remembering these things.

I know that Andrew Budd represents the Enshin/Sabaki school in Austin of you are looking for Karate. He also does some Judo, and TKD. A good blend of traditional arts with modern critical thinking.

I would be wary of Richard Guerra, the WC guy. He is nuts. Pure and simple fucking nuts.

2 Kenpo schools, one on South Lamar, and one on North Lamar. Both sorta suck.

Birdsong is probably the most authoritative Aikido guy in town. But I didn't really like him. He misses a LOT of classes.

Frank Benn has a fairly comprehensive class with striking, grappling, and some weapon work.

Vandry, Cardella, and Vasquez for BJJ in that order.

LOL... I am naming off all this **** and haven't been in austin for like 7 years.

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 12:30am

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This post is under construction.
    Last edited by Lane; 8/03/2005 1:44pm at .
    --
    L.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 12:52am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    William Vandry is my instructor. If you are interested in Bjj, drop by, or PM me for info. Here is his website for reference: http://www.austinbjj.com/
    He is northwest, but it only takes me 10 min. to get there and I am in central Austin.

William is an extremely gifted teacher. That is all I'm going to say because I'm a lousy salesman.

John Palmer

Edit: If you click on the <meet our instructors> page I'm the dork on the bottom. God I hate to be photographed, but it doesn't show, does it?
    Last edited by jnp; 7/20/2005 12:58am at .
    Shut the hell up and train.

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 1:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also really like Dave Thomas for BJJ as well. He teaches out of his garage and is a very good technical teacher and fighter. His website:

http://austinjiujitsu.com/ajj/index.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 9:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    KO Sports, Vasquez Academy, Vandry, for jiu jitsu mma. I've trained at one, visited one, and i know fighters from all of them. They are all top notch. Richard Lord is supposedly the best for boxing, look up lords gym. I dont know much about traditional ma schools but there are a ton of those as well. There are a bunch of kali instructors in austin so check them out: Texas Kali Association Instructors

Austin, Texas

Erwin Ballarta

Leslie L. Buck Jr. (512) 970-3077

Rene Rodriguez (512) 294-1378

Rich Reynolds (512) 336-5190

Roy Fitzgerald, Jr. (512) 796-6152

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 9:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    larry st clair as mentioned above was pretty cool. i checked out two of his kali classes and would have joined if i hadnt gotten into school and had to move.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 10:18am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arahoushi
    There's a kenpo school down by my apartment, run by a guy named Brian Duffy. I've thought about going to spar with them occasionally.
    Yes. Down at the corner near Manchaca and Lamar?

I was thoroughly not impressed by them.

Budd is the Enshin guy? I'm taking a judo class at ACC in the fall and the instructor is named Budd. I wonder if they're one and the same?
    Yup.

Originally he was a TKD guy under Daeshik Kim. He also does some Judo. But back in the late 90's he got into the whole Enshin thing, I *BELIEVE* he was turned onto it by John Bullard. So he went up to Colorado and trained for a while, entered a Sabaki and got the Spirit Award.

I took Judo from him, my wife took Judo from him. And back in 1997 me and another friend of mine were doing Judo when I had heard about the Rickson Gracie tournament. I knew nothing of BJJ rules or anything. But I asked Budd and my friend if they felt like heading up to California with me. So we did. Hella adventure as we went to different places training. It was my first experience at the BHJJC.

In all you will find Budd to be very open minded about new stuff. He's kinda small at around 150lbs? But he has a degree from UT in physical education is IMHO is dedicated to teaching and coaching. It's cool to hear he is still teaching Judo at ACC.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 11:08am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im with John on this one, Vandry for BJJ here in Austin. As for anything other than BJJ, I have not looked into any other schools.

I talked with Mr. Vandry and was instantly sold, wonderful instructor.

--Chris

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 1:29pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Yes. Down at the corner near Manchaca and Lamar?

I was thoroughly not impressed by them.
    It's actually South Congress and William Cannon. It's American kenpo, but they advertise a sparring class. I just wanted to go in and spar them. The one by Manchaca and Lamar is a Shaolin-do school. :qright4:

Yup.

Originally he was a TKD guy under Daeshik Kim. He also does some Judo. But back in the late 90's he got into the whole Enshin thing, I *BELIEVE* he was turned onto it by John Bullard. So he went up to Colorado and trained for a while, entered a Sabaki and got the Spirit Award.

I took Judo from him, my wife took Judo from him. And back in 1997 me and another friend of mine were doing Judo when I had heard about the Rickson Gracie tournament. I knew nothing of BJJ rules or anything. But I asked Budd and my friend if they felt like heading up to California with me. So we did. Hella adventure as we went to different places training. It was my first experience at the BHJJC.

In all you will find Budd to be very open minded about new stuff. He's kinda small at around 150lbs? But he has a degree from UT in physical education is IMHO is dedicated to teaching and coaching. It's cool to hear he is still teaching Judo at ACC.
    Great! Now I really can't wait for class to start. I was going to start training with UT's club, but I had to go and graduate. Dammit.

larry st clair as mentioned above was pretty cool. i checked out two of his kali classes and would have joined if i hadnt gotten into school and had to move.
    Yeah, similar story here. I actually joined and went to about half a month's worth of training before my work schedule changed to mostly evenings. Now I need a school that has daytime training classes. Unfortunately, the only one I remember is some McDojo run by a named Blankenship, who I wouldn't trust to teach me how to do ****.
    --
    L.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast