Page 2 of 2 First 12

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanORourke
    What is the big hang up for some people about a 12 month contract? I don't know of any successful martial arts schools that don't have contracts - or at least charge a lot more for month-to-month. I also don't know of any places that won't offer at least one or two free classes to try it out. We offer 2 weeks free so people know for sure if they like it.

Anyone that has a beef with a BUSINESS - because that is what a martial arts school is - a business - having a contract and making sure they can pay the bills and put food on the table for their families - is a complete and total idiot. Unless of course those same people are willing to work for free themselves.

Contracts should be an option, not an absolute requirement. Relying on strict 12-month ONLY contracts is idiotic. Some folks may have to move, change jobs, etc. -- there should always be month-to-month/3/6/12 month options....

Contracts should just offer a financial incentive (discount) to the buyer, but any good business should offer more than a one-size-fits-all approach.

-daGorilla

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daGorilla
    Contracts should be an option, not an absolute requirement. Relying on strict 12-month ONLY contracts is idiotic. Some folks may have to move, change jobs, etc. -- there should always be month-to-month/3/6/12 month options....

Contracts should just offer a financial incentive (discount) to the buyer, but any good business should offer more than a one-size-fits-all approach.

-daGorilla
    I agree - you should definitely always read a contract and there should be 'out' clauses, like moving, injury, etc - but that isn't the general feel I get from a lot of people when this subject comes up. It seems that a lot of people are 100% against contracts of any type and that if a school has contracts it is a bad school.

We offer 2 weeks free, and a 1 year contract after that. We can do MTM, 3, or 6 month contracts as well, but they are non-standard.

My point is, having a required contract doesn't make a school a bad place. Bad instruction makes it a bad place. Contracts are necessary to budget - to run your business efficiently and to know that you'll be able to stay open (not to mention paying your mortgage, your car payments, bills, food, etc).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK. Thanks for the input people. I have been down and it looks great. They will let you try a class out before you sign up.

I plan to be in the area for over a year anyway, so i'll sign up if the quality of the class is good.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is the penalty for early termination of the contract?
    Locu5
    combat sports hobbyist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by locu5
    What is the penalty for early termination of the contract?
    Oooh, good point. I know in my apartment lease it's two months rent.

Aodhan

Page 2 of 2 First 12