Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 6:36am

Style: KickBoxing, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Possible Mc Dojo - 12 month membership

I am thinking of joining a local Dojo. I am fairly new to martial arts so am asking for the advice of you more experienced people.

The place has a website here: www.fighting-fit.net

I havent had the chance to go down there and it seems ok from the website but the only problem is you have to join for a minimum of 12 months. They say this is to ensure people will stick with the martial art they are learning. Also that joining for 12 months won't disuade someone serious about martial arts wheras it will put off '5 minute guys' who come for a couple of weeks and give up, having wasted their and the instuctors' time.

What do you think?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 8:01am

Style: Martial Arts man!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    looks legit to me. Are you certain they don't have anything like a 3 month contract. Just make up some BS like you have to move in a few months but want to start training. If you end up likeing the place, you can say that you have decided not to move. Just make up something.
    Trust me, money talks - my dojo, tries to get you to sign up for at least a year but if you can't, they will try to get you for at least a few months.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 8:43am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you try a few classes before you decide to join or not? I noticed that non-members can try the Jiu-Jitsu classes (Japanese, not BJJ) at 5 per class, so you /could/ try that. I suspect you're more interested in the kickboxing and karate, though?

As far as I can tell from a quick glance at the website:

+Weight room
    +opening hours
    +entering competitions
    -contract (your info, not the website)
    -losing in their fights (read the "fight night" report) a lot.

If you can try some classes before you have to decide to join, please do so as it does look largely ok. But definately "shop around" before joining.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 9:34am

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by big_jonson
    I am thinking of joining a local Dojo. I am fairly new to martial arts so am asking for the advice of you more experienced people.

The place has a website here: www.fighting-fit.net

I havent had the chance to go down there and it seems ok from the website but the only problem is you have to join for a minimum of 12 months. They say this is to ensure people will stick with the martial art they are learning. Also that joining for 12 months won't disuade someone serious about martial arts wheras it will put off '5 minute guys' who come for a couple of weeks and give up, having wasted their and the instuctors' time.

What do you think?
    I would look at the contract. Contracts are a great business tool when applied properly, they allow the owner to budget and project income, expenses, upgrades, etc.

See if they have a 3 or 6 month introductory contract. Failing that, see if you can take a week or so of lessons to try it out. Our school offers 1 month free, and you can either take lessons for that month, or apply it towards your initial contract. We have 6 month and 12 month contracts after that.

Things to watch out for, are contracts that have no release clause, such as if you move away. If you move more than 30 miles away, you should be able to break the contract. Also, ask what happens if you get injured and can't take lessons. Do they "freeze" the contract, or can you break it then?

Contracts are a good business tool when applied properly, and a club when applied badly.

Aodhan

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 10:54am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems legit. Just trying to appeal to the general public.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 11:24am

Style: Multiple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is the big hang up for some people about a 12 month contract? I don't know of any successful martial arts schools that don't have contracts - or at least charge a lot more for month-to-month. I also don't know of any places that won't offer at least one or two free classes to try it out. We offer 2 weeks free so people know for sure if they like it.

Anyone that has a beef with a BUSINESS - because that is what a martial arts school is - a business - having a contract and making sure they can pay the bills and put food on the table for their families - is a complete and total idiot. Unless of course those same people are willing to work for free themselves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 11:59am

Style: TKD BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    normally i'm not a big fan of contracts, but given what the facilities look like, i gotta admit that a 12 month contract seems pretty reasonable...you get access to some great facilities, with some nice looking exercise equipment too. seems like a good deal to me

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 12:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are the terms for early termination of the contract?

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 12:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably not a world class operation, but certainly looks good enough for the average bloke looking to learn about fighting and fitness.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 2:43pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WARRIORS KICKBOXING! COBRA KICKBOXING!

Great names to describe, errr......kickboxing.

On a side note, does anyone in here train at a place that lets you kick the shields with tennis shoes on??
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast