Sponsored Links Spacer Image

**** you math class

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 10:05pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish I had a swimming pool filled with pudding. Then I could get a bunch of hot chicks to swim and wrestle in it.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 10:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah
    I think a general class on being assertive around your office falls outside the scope of the "survival at any cost" RBSD training I was talking about, and probably the martial arts in general.
    But a good RBSD program is about, as Kickcatcher has noted, confrontation management. And a legitimate instructor will not that the vast majority of self defense situations one encounters may (and should) never come to physical blows. Self protection goes far beyond simply an issue of a ninja jumping out from a bush. So in that respect, a solid RBSD program can be applicable to a variety of confrontations scenarios.

Also, like it or not, everything needs to be practiced. Attending a general class is assertivness is as effective as attending a single class of MMA. Verbal techniques need to be drilled just like physical techniques do.

My point is that they've trapped themselves by doing so. People who train for such a reason either have an irrational phobia, or they are training for different reasons than they purport. If so, say they train RBSD simply because they think it's fun and enjoyable, than they might as well be playing tennis. This makes them indistinguishable from the sports they claim to look down on.
    I don't understand this arguement. At all. I indoor rock climb. The reason I began this was not so much because I enjoy rock climbing, but rather because I had an irrational fear of heights. And so I decided the way to cope with that was to begin to explore vertigo under controlled conditions. In much the same way, our media culture has promoted a somewhat (I'll get back to that) irrational fear of violence. So for people to go to a GOOD RBSD program to learn about self defense doesn't seem to be the action of being trapped in an irrational phobia. If anything it becomes freeing from the phobia. Again, going back to Blauer, the mental part of the class is based on research quelled from police reports, statistics, social psychology and criminology. So people are arming themselves with information to understand the realities of confrontation. Where they are most likely to happen. How to avoid them. And how to disarm them (information which as demonstrated above can transcend phsycial confronation).

I'll note that based on location a fear of violence can be far more rational than your giving credit. During the time I lived in Chicago there were a number of attacks on U of C male grad stundents walking home from the school at night. Four of my friends, as a group, were mugged at gunpoint (one punched in the face). Yet at no time do I feel I was trapped by fear. But at the same time, I also implemented a lot of the ideas from my RBSD training in modifying my behavior to ensure my own safety.

Now as for the tennis thing, I don't get your point. It assumes that there is nothing to gain from these lessons. Granted, all the RBSD students at our school were training for specific reasons. While the classes were fun, that was never the primary goal.

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 10:46pm

Style: BJJ (Alliance) Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bernius
    But a good RBSD program is about, as Kickcatcher has noted, confrontation management. And a legitimate instructor will not that the vast majority of self defense situations one encounters may (and should) never come to physical blows. Self protection goes far beyond simply an issue of a ninja jumping out from a bush. So in that respect, a solid RBSD program can be applicable to a variety of confrontations scenarios.

Also, like it or not, everything needs to be practiced. Attending a general class is assertivness is as effective as attending a single class of MMA. Verbal techniques need to be drilled just like physical techniques do.

I don't understand this arguement. At all. I indoor rock climb. The reason I began this was not so much because I enjoy rock climbing, but rather because I had an irrational fear of heights. And so I decided the way to cope with that was to begin to explore vertigo under controlled conditions. In much the same way, our media culture has promoted a somewhat (I'll get back to that) irrational fear of violence. So for people to go to a GOOD RBSD program to learn about self defense doesn't seem to be the action of being trapped in an irrational phobia. If anything it becomes freeing from the phobia. Again, going back to Blauer, the mental part of the class is based on research quelled from police reports, statistics, social psychology and criminology. So people are arming themselves with information to understand the realities of confrontation. Where they are most likely to happen. How to avoid them. And how to disarm them (information which as demonstrated above can transcend phsycial confronation).

I'll note that based on location a fear of violence can be far more rational than your giving credit. During the time I lived in Chicago there were a number of attacks on U of C male grad stundents walking home from the school at night. Four of my friends, as a group, were mugged at gunpoint (one punched in the face). Yet at no time do I feel I was trapped by fear. But at the same time, I also implemented a lot of the ideas from my RBSD training in modifying my behavior to ensure my own safety.

Now as for the tennis thing, I don't get your point. It assumes that there is nothing to gain from these lessons. Granted, all the RBSD students at our school were training for specific reasons. While the classes were fun, that was never the primary goal.

- Matt
    I'm sorry I was unclear in my last post. Consider this a placeholder for a more articulate argument tomorrow.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 10:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sorry I was unclear in my last post. Consider this a placeholder for a more articulate argument tomorrow.
    Not a problem. I look forward to it!

BTW, where were you pulling all the statistics from?

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011