Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 7:57pm

Style: BJJ boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

question about modern comb. gym

howdy. I'm by nature a lurker, and do to all the lame stuff that happens on internet forums. anyhoo, after reading that thread about places in the bay area, I got a little curious about this gym. I would appreciate some feedback on this gym compared to Fairtex and the SF krav Maga schools(intensity,instructors, how many per fight class,etc.) Also, prices are not on their site , got any? site also says with bjj, you need a gi. do they only train bjj w/ gi's and if so , why. thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 8:13pm

Style: MMA/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you mean Modern Combatives, the SBG affiliated bunch?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 10:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and then some

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a few of us that go there.

I've never been to the fairtex school, nor any of the SF krav maga schools mainly because I am firmly rooted in the east bay and raise my little eyebrow at krav maga. But one guy at our school has a lot of equipment that says "krav maga" on it! (if that helps?)

First, prices. It's $80/month for 6 lessons a week, $100 for unlimited. I think it's a damn fair price given the quality of classes, the location they are in, and the prices of some of the other, closer, BJJ schools. But we're a MMA gym, so we have more than just BJJ.

All the strict BJJ classes I've been to (as a beginner) have been gi-BJJ. But there are no-gi BJJ classes and vale tudo classes where there is no gi. If you check their schedule online, you can see when those classes are.

The classes are split up into beginner and advanced classes, the 101 and the 201 classes. I've only been there for a little over 2 months and I am still in the 101 class, so I can really only explain what we do there. It's a Straight Blast Gym, so pretty much everything we do is against a resisting partner. You learn a technique, practice doing it against pads for a little bit (if it is striking), and then you go on to do it with a partner. When someone is hitting at your face, things can get pretty intense. But I've never felt in over my head or anything, nor have I felt like what I was doing just wouldn't work against a real person, as I felt a number of times at my old karate school.

I think the instructors are great. They encourage you to work hard and recognize it when you're one of the last people to go home at night. They'll shoot the **** with you and teach you everything they know when you ask. They are clear, patient, and always willing to re-explain or give constructive criticism on your game.

My only complaint is that there aren't enough straight BJJ classes because that's what I'm primarily there for. I learn the standup for its usefulness, but I'm in love with BJJ and want to do it more often. I will probably sign up at another BJJ school when I can afford it. Otherwise, I love modern combatives. And plus, I think all the people are really great.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 5:26am

Style: BJJ boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the reply. why do you "raise an eyebrow" at krav? I know alot of people think its not good, but they are usually the ones that have not practiced it. I'm not disagreeing or trying to start a pissing contest. just curious about opinions from someone who might have tried both. I appreciate your imput.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 10:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and then some

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never practiced it. But it just feels... icky... I'm just not comfortable with it, politically speaking. It has nothing to do with the actual techniques taught.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 11:16am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read the topic title as "questions about modern combs".

I use a simple plastic wide-toothed comb. Does anyone out there still use wooden combs? Or things like silver?

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 12:49pm

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're curious about the school, just stop by and check it out. There is a very open policy. Or come to the next throwdown, which will be held there.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25694

The gym has an MMA focus, so if you only want to train just kickboxing or just BJJ, you would be better off at Fairtex or a pure BJJ school (I highly recommend Open Door BJJ). ModCom offers the benefit of training in both, with a lot of focus on the transitions between ranges, at a cheaper price, in the East Bay, in a convenient location, with a great atmosphere for learning.
    Last edited by bunyip; 7/16/2005 12:52pm at .
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 3:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Krav Maga is Politically Icky would make a fantastic name for a band.

I have no idea what it meant, but it's catchy.