Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2005 4:40pm

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have students from 4-6 years old (Tiny Tigers), and it is basically a glorified activity class. If I'm teaching a front punch, and they manage to wave a fist in front of them on command, I'm generally pretty happy with that. At least at our school, we will promote in half ranks (white to orange white, orange/white to orange, etc), and they must know the basic kicks/stances and half their current form.

We also do teach basic weapons (nunchaku, single escrima), with foam padded weapons. Again, not looking for strict form, but more along the lines of ability to wave it around without doing serious injury to themselves or their neighbor. (Wish a few of our adults could learn that...sigh).

At that age, there may be one or two precocious kiddies that can go further, but for the vast majority it is simply something fun to do with a martial arts theme to it. I don't expect cognitive processing and progression until somewhere around 7-8 years old.

Aodhan

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2005 6:30pm

Style: Five Animal Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "fighting back may cause the attacker to decide that it isn't worth it and kill the child" part I've never heard of.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2005 7:27pm

Style: Filipino Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Best piece of SD advice for kids

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce W Sims
    Dear Sweats:

"....However, in my opinion, there is no way that a child would be able to physically break away from a determined adult. ...."

Do you remember the news item (this is going back a bit) about alittle girl who was abducted but managed to effectively fight her way free simply because she never stopped screaming and kicking. This is just a side note that you tickled in my head but I wonder if a timed drill to see how long a kid can go non-stop screaming and carrying-on might be a thought.

Not exactly on topic.... it just sorta came to me. Thoughts? Comments?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    I don't remember where I heard this but it's the best piece of advice I give concerned parents who happne to ask me during the most recent Amber Alert (when they need something to calm their nerves) Teach your child to not go with starngers and if abducted yell "I do not know this person!" to anyone, everyone and let them know it isn't a game. Everytime I flip past court tv or something liek that and I follow a child abduction the abductor always placate the child while in public (candy, game, lost pet etc etc.) Verbal defense and knowledge of self worth and boundaries is always a good start to any SD. But now I'm kinda hijacking the thread, sorry.

-Brian

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 6:47am

Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear Brian:

I am not so sure that you are hijacking the thread.

If you think about it for a minute, aren't we MA teachers suppose to be working to enhance or maybe just reat to the stengthes of a student? In Hapkido I teach the same techniques to all students but different students gravitate towards different techniques as their favorites ("bread-&-butter" techniques), yes?

If I was dealing with kids I wonder if instead of teaching them to strike with hands (fists) maybe its better to teach them to grab and pull (IE. hair, face). Anyone who has had a small infant latch on to their finger knows that there is quite a bit of strength in those reflex-driven grasps. Maybe instead of trying to teach something sophisticated such as a side-kick the focus needs to be on "non-compliance" such as dragging ones' feet, digging in ones heels or going limp. (How about a drill where the partners try to pull their counterparts across the dochang floor and points are awarded for the SLOWEST progress, yes? ).

But where I was going with this is your thought about using the voice.

Anyone who has had children knows that a childs' cry is the technique of choice for expressing disapproval or unhappiness. If that is their "strength" maybe we need to be working with that, yes?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 9:41am

Style: isshinryu googlefu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Teach your kids to curse.

" ...This aint my motherfuckin' daddy...", "Hey I don't don't think thats that boy's motherfuckin' daddy" - D.L. Hughley

ez
    Last edited by ///ez-prey; 7/19/2005 9:43am at .

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 9:49am

supporting member
     Style: Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ///ez-prey

" ...This aint my motherfuckin' daddy...", "Hey I don't don't think thats that boy's motherfuckin' daddy" - D.L. Hughley

ez

:confused2
    True civilization lies in the dominance of self and not in the dominance of other men.

Luther Standing Bear

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 11:14am

Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ///ez-prey

ez
    Hey, for some of the kids "I" seen this wouldn't be a huge step!! :new_smile

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456