Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 3:55pm

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Teaching Children

Start a thread! =)

I have a two year old (boy) that I hope will take up MA one day...

-daGorilla
    My daughter started going to the ring with me when she was 6 months old, and as soon as she could crawl, she played with me and my brother in the ring. This lasted until she was just over a year and got in trouble at day care.

I started her in Aikido when she was 5 (last year) because she wanted to go do it with daddy, my father had also been teaching her Tai Chi for a few months prior to that.

The problem is attention span. More than 30 minutes and she wasn't following along anymore.

When I teach kids, anyone younger than 8 gets a few tryout classes first. If I don't think they can follow along well enough to not slow down the class, then they can join as young as 5. But if not, I tell the parents so and let them try again later.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 4:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dress up as spongebob squarepants, and everytime they land a good strike I throw candy out of my pockets like a pinata.

Laugh all you want, but the Spongebob suit makes great full body armor.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 5:51pm

Style: Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow I'm surprised you could teach her Tai-Chi. I know some college students that can't even stay awake during meditation.

I have a 3 year old nephew that wants to get into Martial arts, but haven't decided what to teach him at such a young age. Because I know he'll probably use techniques against his friends.

Just wondering what kind of format do you use?

Professional Wrestler

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 8:47pm

Style: Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger01
    Wow I'm surprised you could teach her Tai-Chi. I know some college students that can't even stay awake during meditation.

I have a 3 year old nephew that wants to get into Martial arts, but haven't decided what to teach him at such a young age. Because I know he'll probably use techniques against his friends.

Just wondering what kind of format do you use?
    Tai Chi is my dad's thing. I think it went along the lines of her watching him do it every morning, then she wanted to do it with him, so he taught her a few of the moves and she repeated them while he did his.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

"Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

"If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

"No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 6:19am

Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, this all sounds like a lot of fun, and maybe it helps keep the kids occupied but I thought we were talking about teaching kids MA? What age do you start teaching them a cohesive curriculum and start making them accountable for being able to do things with some level of profficiency? Thoughts? Comments?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 8:57am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have a lot of kids in my judo club, but I do have three brothers in class. The older two (8-10) are a lot easier to work with when the youngest (6) misses class.

The six year old has a harder time with the names of throws, and terms, compared to the older brothers, as well. And he tends to get hurt more during practice during throwing drills, partly because he's smaller (though not much smaller than the eight year old), partly because he doesn't pay attention while he's getting thrown (so he's not taking good ukemi). He also has a harder time learning new throws, or when doing drills with specific throws - tends to do his favorite throws instead.

The eight year old, on the other hand, surprises me sometimes with what he remembers.

On the other hand, I'd been teaching nage-no-kata to all three. They're home schooled, and for a home school spring show, decided to show nage-no-kata as a demo. They worked out, among themselves, how they were going to rotate through (taking turns as uke and tori) and they did a pretty good show - even the six year old has learned the kata (although he forgot parts, when we took a few weeks off from the kata).

The older two corrected me on the order of a couple throws (I'd switched two around).

But yeah, after about 30-40 minutes it get's harder to keep their attention (sometimes earlier, depending on what they'd been doing during the rest of the day). I try to end class with randori and/or games, so the attention thing isn't such a problem.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 10:23am

Style: Yon Mu Kwan Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about testing requirements? When you test the children are they bound by the same requirements and order that one expects of an adult? Are the requirements modified for passing? I guess what I am asking is how much do you compell the little kids to "act like the big kids"? Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 11:34am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see any good reason to start testing children for competency untill about 5 years old. Children under five just need to be introduced to the material in a manner that is fun and engaging.

I start with kids at 2.5 years old for all my programs, and we just cover the very broad physical aspects of the MA or sport. If you start trying to enforce competency, you will alienate the children and create resistance to the activity. The goal is to make them love it, so they will desire competency on their own.

For referenece:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=hope+children
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 12:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce W Sims
    What about testing requirements? When you test the children are they bound by the same requirements and order that one expects of an adult? Are the requirements modified for passing? I guess what I am asking is how much do you compell the little kids to "act like the big kids"? Thoughts?
    I don't really have strict requirements for adults until brown belt. At lower levels I look for 'break-throughs" - like when someone pulls off a throw in randori that they'd been struggling with, or one the represents a skill set we'd been developing. I promoted one woman to yellow after she made me defend myself in randori (I wasn't going hard, admittedly, but she did catch me napping a little).

I just see something in practice that makes me think "wow, it must be time" (although, after a certain time in grade, I'll look at the JA or JI requirements, then start looking for reasons to promote).

It's pretty much same with the kids - I'll promote them, then tell them why after.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 12:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper
    I start with kids at 2.5 years old for all my programs
    Good God, are they even out of diapers?

Though, to be honest, the brothers I have come from a big family - two sisters at 3 and 4, one brother just starting to walk (sometimes out on the mat), one more on the way. I do try to work in some drills (obstacle courses, sheeps-and-wolves, pickup-tag) that the girls can join in.

The sisters just like to come out and wrestle each other, sometimes. And I let them jump in on the adults on occasion (we're a small group, almost family).
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast