Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 9:59am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Am I Crazy?

I was thinking about taking some stand up training from Tony Martinez. He is a local Kenpo teacher here. He seems to have a pretty impressive background in spite of all the negative stuff I have heard about kroddy.

http://www.tonymartinezsr.com/index.htm

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 12:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ and then some

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

wants jade ring

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One good question to ask yourself is can he kick your ass? If the answer is yes, you may have something to learn there.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 12:36pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first karate teacher was Tony Martinez. He had a school back on North Lamar in Austin Texas Back in 1978-79 I think. I was just a little kid. The only reason I remember is I still have the Kenpo Creed certificate that they gave out and he was a 2nd(?) degree black belt at the time.

I cannot tell you anything at all about him, his school, or his program as it is now. I can only tell you what I remember from damn near 25 years ago.

I knew nothing about martial arts except what I saw on TV. I can't remember how long I spent with that school. A year or three? The only things I remember were bad. It was run by one of the instructors like a boot camp. I told a story not to long ago where an instructor made me cry as a little kid. Doing **** like yelling in my face, KEEP YOUR HANDS UP OR I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE! And when I did raise my hands he kicked me so hard in the stomach that I curled up in a little ball, unable to breath for several minutes. This kind of **** was pretty common as I recall.

So my personal experience over 20 years ago was overwhelmingly negative. I still remember the day I quit that school. My mom was getting ready to take me, and I told her I didn't want to go anymore. She didn't know why and I was too much of a ***** to tell her how much of a ***** I was. Looking back though I should have quit sooner.

I will say this though...

During this time my life was really fucked up. My mom married this guy who had a son that went to my school. His mom was a cocaine dealer who really messed his head up. All kinds of bad stuff happened, but my step brother was like a year older and 20 pounds heavier who used to pick on me regularly. He did something...I don't even remember what it was now. But it was in the kitchen. And I had been doing karate for a little while, but never had the nerve to stand up to my step brother. Well whatever it was, it was really really bad because I remember my mom standing there in shock and telling me to hit him and not to let him get away with that. So I spun around to start fighting and he ran like a bitch and hid in the bathroom til his dad got home.

So I credit mr martinez karate for giving me the tools to finally stand up to my step brother and make him stop picking on me. On the other hand, his school was too rough on little kids, and I would like the opportunity to kick mr martinez in the stomach as hard as I fucking can and make him curl up in a little ball while I verbally taunt him.

Obviously I have deep emotional scars that could not be cured with any amount of therapy or medication. I am not sure if this is good or bad though. *twitch*

Ex-ninja

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 1:36pm

Style: Muso Shinden Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    My first karate teacher was Tony Martinez. He had a school back on North Lamar in Austin Texas Back in 1978-79 I think. I was just a little kid. The only reason I remember is I still have the Kenpo Creed certificate that they gave out and he was a 2nd(?) degree black belt at the time.

I cannot tell you anything at all about him, his school, or his program as it is now. I can only tell you what I remember from damn near 25 years ago.

I knew nothing about martial arts except what I saw on TV. I can't remember how long I spent with that school. A year or three? The only things I remember were bad. It was run by one of the instructors like a boot camp. I told a story not to long ago where an instructor made me cry as a little kid. Doing **** like yelling in my face, KEEP YOUR HANDS UP OR I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE! And when I did raise my hands he kicked me so hard in the stomach that I curled up in a little ball, unable to breath for several minutes. This kind of **** was pretty common as I recall.

So my personal experience over 20 years ago was overwhelmingly negative. I still remember the day I quit that school. My mom was getting ready to take me, and I told her I didn't want to go anymore. She didn't know why and I was too much of a ***** to tell her how much of a ***** I was. Looking back though I should have quit sooner.

I will say this though...

During this time my life was really fucked up. My mom married this guy who had a son that went to my school. His mom was a cocaine dealer who really messed his head up. All kinds of bad stuff happened, but my step brother was like a year older and 20 pounds heavier who used to pick on me regularly. He did something...I don't even remember what it was now. But it was in the kitchen. And I had been doing karate for a little while, but never had the nerve to stand up to my step brother. Well whatever it was, it was really really bad because I remember my mom standing there in shock and telling me to hit him and not to let him get away with that. So I spun around to start fighting and he ran like a bitch and hid in the bathroom til his dad got home.

So I credit mr martinez karate for giving me the tools to finally stand up to my step brother and make him stop picking on me. On the other hand, his school was too rough on little kids, and I would like the opportunity to kick mr martinez in the stomach as hard as I fucking can and make him curl up in a little ball while I verbally taunt him.

Obviously I have deep emotional scars that could not be cured with any amount of therapy or medication. I am not sure if this is good or bad though. *twitch*
    Boy we get some great instructors here in Austin. Glad to hear you got out OK, though.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 2:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I should just go to see if one of his instructors wants to cheap shot me so I can do a single leg to north/south & start dropping knees on his head.