Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 5:42pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Applying a standing armbar is legal though, provided you don't turn it into a takedown.

I've heard of a couple of high-level competitors who've made them into bread-and-butter techniques, but normally I only see them used as a threat to break a grip.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 7:01pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    Me too. I've gotten 2 standing chokes, 1 standing reverse ankle (this one only counts because I'm standing) and 1 standing armbar

that's somewhat surprising. what is the advantage of doing a standing gi choke? i have tried a collar choke in randori, and it never works out. it seems like you would leave yourself open to various sacrifice throws and trips.

the only standing choke i find practical is a guillotine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 10:26am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by _Mick_
    what is the advantage of doing a standing gi choke?
    Surprise factor. That one second of "WTF is he gonna tr...oh ****." is completely worth the risk.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 10:41am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geijhan
    Surprise factor. That one second of "WTF is he gonna tr...oh ****." is completely worth the risk.
    That's exactly it. For me, it was always about fucking with the guy. The look on their face when they realize they're had is priceless. It will also throw their game way off. They become real cautious about taking a grip immediately after it happens.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 10:44am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by _Mick_
    that's somewhat surprising. what is the advantage of doing a standing gi choke?
    I think it is pretty obvious. The advantage is your opponents lack of consciousness.

Did you miss the pictures I posted on the first page?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 10:47am

supporting member
     Style: Judo & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    I think it is pretty obvious. The advantage is your opponents lack of consciousness.

Did you miss the pictures I posted on the first page?
    That last picture of you with your hands in the air is truly a classic. I was laughing my ass off. It's almost like, "hey, don't look at me...he's the dumbass". Dude, I'd have that framed if I were you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 10:54am

Style: Escrima/Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repulsive Monkey
    That's the thing, a lot of standing locks can work if their snapped on, it's just that you can't really expect to apply them slowly and get someone to tap to them.

I tend to de-emphasize stuff like this in my training, because I'd rather work with a known quantity (i.e. if you don't take something to completion every time, then how will you know where you stand with it?).

There are some naysayers about stuff like this ever working at all. Obviously it does; the only question is that of percentages.
    The difference between a lock and a break/destruction is velocity.

Breaks/destructions are 'snapped' as was mentioned.
    "locks" are smoother and usually have steadily increasing pressure (even if it is really fast when done by a pro).

That looked like an unintential 'break'....adrenaline is good for strength and speed under pressure BUT it can lead to some misreads when you are under the influence.

How many here have banged someone and didn't feel like they were working that hard.....

Chemist

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 9:54am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the guys I train with went to the FL state Judo comp in Tallahassee last year and actually had a guy in a standing key lock, the guy wouldn't tap so he cranked and dislocated the guys elbow while simultaneously breaking his own arm at the same time. But he won the match at least.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12