Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 11:01pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by _Mick_
    there are just too many factors to make a conclusion about these type of things.

maybe the yellow bamboo master's ki just wasn't strong enough. maybe the guy he was blasting had incredibly strong ki. its not like you can build a gigantic chicken cannon to test ki.
    Yes, you can. Fire a chicken cannon at a chi-ster and see if it blows their skull off.

I was thinking more along the lines of Dim Mak touches.
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 11:04pm

Style: Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    its not like you can build a gigantic chicken cannon to test ki.
    That's pretty much it. Mythbusters is about busting myths, but it's also about building cool and completely awesomely unnecessary machines to do so. It's a rare episode where they do something that doesn't involve Buster the dummy, ballistics gel, a giant water pump, guns, explosives, fire, high voltage, welding, or throwing things off the top of the studio.

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 11:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arahoushi
    Well, technically we could convince misinformed yet-otherwise rational people about them. Do we really want to convince the whackos? No. If we do, what purpose will this site have? How would you amuse yourself?
    That's the best possible senario. A segment like that could help test such MA myths in a neutral environment. Of course, we already know it's crap, but your average mouthbreathers don't.
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 11:09pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kistrael
    Yes, you can. Fire a chicken cannon at a chi-ster and see if it blows their skull off.

that would be compelling tv....

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 11:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightmare
    Penn and Teller would more than likely be a better candidate. Myhtbusters deal with popular myths, I can't think of one popular Martial Arts myth to the normal person.
    Mythbusters gets out to a wider audience. Aren't P&T on premium cable channels?

And who says MA myths aren't popular? In Kill Bill Vol. 2, Kid 5-Finger Monkey Fists Bill and he dies from Dim Mak bullshit.

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 11:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that would be compelling tv....
    Well, it would cut down on bullshido...

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 12:18am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something that might be especially interesting to see with the mythbusters doing a project on dim mak or chi blasts is that when they find something doesn't work, they try to find a way to make it. This is often much more fun than debunking the myth. Attaching hundreds (maybe thousands) of balloons to a child dummy, and I think later a real child was hilarious and amusing. Imagine what those guys would try in order to make a chi blast real...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 1:02am

Style: Uechi-Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not having any sort of cable, I've never seen the show...but it sounds like they have their fair share of things that prove true. Maybe it would be better to go in the opposite direction and give them myths that are real. My Sensei's stomach is so rock hard it makes Harry Houdini revolve in his grave: someone breaking their hand on it would prove truth is stranger than fiction. Who needs ki blasts when you can just do simple conditioning exercises for a long period of time to make your opponent hurt themself by hitting you, for example?

There's plenty of things this could be done with, I'm sure. I can see it now: "You won't see THIS on Dragonball Z..."

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 1:22am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesn't have anything to do with conditioning or anything. Armstrong's body is godlike, but that doesn't make him anymore than human.

The problem is people claiming to do these superhuman things and others believe it. It is especially bad in MA. I think busting these would be a good step in the right direction.

I agree with Gypsy, watching those guys attempt to do a myth that's unacchievable would be a riot. Chi blasts? Short burst from a high tempature flamethrower? A blast from an air cannon?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 1:59am

Style: Uechi-Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forgive my ignorance, but Armstrong-who?

I disagree. I can't crack walnuts with my abs, but I notice things that would hurt me before barely registering as pain, if at all. I used to whack my shin off my coffee table all the time, hard enough to bruise it (you'd think I'd be smart enough to move it.) If I do the same thing now, I can move the table and just feel the contact.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast