Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 1:08pm

Style: Taijutsu/Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Taking up a new system

Little background first.

I started out taking Karate as a teenager. Figured out, later on, that it was far too commercialized (at least the school I was in), so I left that. I trained in boxing, kickboxing, and limited Muy Thai for a few years. I took up and started training in the Bujinkan system about 6 years ago. I really like the system as it taught me a new way to think about fighting (such as positioning, timing, balance, mixing soft/hard, breaking, etc), and it really challenged me to think and move outside the box. I really love the system as it gives me some out of the box tools to apply to the other styles that I had learned.

After lurking here for a couple of days, I decided that I need to incorporate a grappling system in order to round myself out. A friend of mine is a wrestling coach, so he is going to teach me wrestling techniques, and I am going to teach him stuff from my martial arts background.

Do you guys think the wrestling will give a good foundation for groundfighting? I think I can incorporate those principles with what I know of locks, pressure points, etc. and round things out a bit. Has anyone gone this route, and if so, what should I expect?

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 1:17pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Getting occasional wrestling training and mixing it with *choke giggle* ninjutsu is gonna be HUGELY effective, yeah.

Actually, I don't know. It would all depend on the skill of the teacher and your natural talent. It might be all you need. But I doubt it.

Can any of the wrestlers chime in?
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 1:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Getting occasional wrestling training and mixing it with *choke giggle* ninjutsu is gonna be HUGELY effective, yeah.

Actually, I don't know. It would all depend on the skill of the teacher and your natural talent. It might be all you need. But I doubt it.

Can any of the wrestlers chime in?

Choke and giggle ninjutsu? I seriously don't understand why this system gets such a bad rap here.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 1:31pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because it's not real?

Oh, look, I don't really mean to flame you. You might be in a great school, I don't know. I just have this thing about ninjutsu.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 1:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Because it's not real?

Oh, look, I don't really mean to flame you. You might be in a great school, I don't know. I just have this thing about ninjutsu.

Hey, its all good. I have been to seminars in the Bujinkan and trained with instructors and students, and sit back and think that "These people would be seriously injured in a real fight". A lot of schools teach this tip tap, soft form of ninjutsu. Their students move at a snails pace, analyze every move, etc etc. Not real fighters.

My instructor practically beats the **** out you of during class. He doesn't focus on all the really flashy (read ineffective) stuff that would never work against resistence. Just nit and grit, practical techniques.

My point is, its not all bad. You have to find an instructor who isn't caught up in all the hype.

Noob: Reloaded

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: MT nub, Ex-Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everybody here has a thing about ninjitsu. Good thing you can roll with it, Fusen, because not everybody is so kind about it.

Welcome to Bullshido.
    DIDN'T YOU KNOW?! The Chinese know everything! And they knew it 4,000 years before YOU did!

"Yes. Yes I am. I'm clearly illiterate and dictating this post to a squadron of several dozen trained jumping beans I've coearced into living on my keyboard, each named after a letter or character, which bounce up and down as I call their names." -JohnnyCache

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Learn wrestling.

But you have to incorporate it into live sparring, while trying to incorporate your previous experience in order to fully gauge your ability though. If your friend is a wrestling coach it is not enough for him to teach you 'techniques'. You will need to constantly drill them, and then actually WRESTLE.

But if you mention locks and pressure points again I will have to flame the fucking **** out of you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 2:20pm

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fusenshi
    Hey, its all good. I have been to seminars in the Bujinkan and trained with instructors and students, and sit back and think that "These people would be seriously injured in a real fight". A lot of schools teach this tip tap, soft form of ninjutsu. Their students move at a snails pace, analyze every move, etc etc. Not real fighters.

My instructor practically beats the **** out you of during class. He doesn't focus on all the really flashy (read ineffective) stuff that would never work against resistence. Just nit and grit, practical techniques.

My point is, its not all bad. You have to find an instructor who isn't caught up in all the hype.

look out everybody! he has the real ninjitsu.

as for wrestling. it will increase your balance, and give you strong takedowns. on the ground you will learn dominant positions, but no submissions. (im assuming is freestyle or folk style wrestling)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 2:24pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fusenshi
    Why does every Ninja say this? Do a search and indulge yourself in many of the long reads about what is wrong with Taijutsu.

Ironically, every Bunjikan member always states that most Ninjas are ineffective fighters, however, they are part of the select few that know the REAL Taijutsu. And they all come and post here...

Wrestling will not be enough. While offering excellent takedown and positioning skills, you'll be lacking the submission/submission defense skills. Call me a cynic, but I don't think your Ninja training will give you those submission skills. If you don't believe me, enroll in a formal BJJ/MMA/Judo program.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 2:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Learn wrestling.

But if you mention locks and pressure points again I will have to flame the fucking **** out of you.

ok???
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast