Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 7:26pm

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Baji shown in that vid reminds me a lot of the WC we do. The hips and shoulder are used to manipulate and throw, normally by doing something like stepping a foot behind the opponent's stance and using the 'hip and shoulder' strike to unbalance... a throw can be done if you hace extended the other's arm... much like is shown there. So opposed to pushing the opponent away, by good foot placement and hanging onto an arm, the 'shoulder strike' can be used to do a throw.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 1:45am

Style: Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The way I've seen shoulder strikes done is, like Omar pointed out, using the whole torso as a fist where the shoulder acts like a giant knuckle, and the same logic as to the proper targets should still apply. For "damage" it's best to hit a surface that is either stretched out or compressed or he'll just move around. I've seen it done to knock the wind out of someone who is bending backward or to the side, leaving the lower-rib area more tense than usual and his weight distribution reduced the ability to "roll" with it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2005 12:18pm

Style: PersonalDefenseReadiness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... i remember that i read something about striking with the shoulder in a text about bareknuckle boxing.
    one possibility was to yank the opponents head forward with the left arm and pull him into the right shoulder, which then actively came forward to smash the guys face...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2005 9:32pm

Style: MMA Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In that situation why not feed him a fist or palm instead? I can see the shoulder being used sometimes. From time to time outside of Judo if I am in a person's guard I will push into them with my shoulder to create some discomfort but to also preload myself to try a stand up guard pass
  5. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    7/17/2005 9:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, stand up guard pass!

HONEY BADGER!

Posted On:
    7/18/2005 5:58am

Style: Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sui generis
    one possibility was to yank the opponents head forward with the left arm and pull him into the right shoulder, which then actively came forward to smash the guys face...
    Quote Originally Posted by KumaOni
    In that situation why not feed him a fist or palm instead?
    I think the fist will push the opponent's head away. While slamming his head onto your shoulder will keep it closer.

I was wondering about a combo: slam the head on your shoulder while you attack the body with a right uppercut.

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    7/18/2005 10:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I skimmed the thread, so if I missed this one, apologies.

I've seen some guy reccommend striking from the clinch with the shoulder. Say you have one underhook on your right , in the wrestling kinda of clinch. A lot of guys either keep their head up or leave it resting on your right shoulder. You kind of pop it back and forward to give them a whack in the face.

I think there's an instructional by Randy Coutre on clinch fighting that mentions it.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234