224676 Bullies, 3535 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 10:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by king of seals
    Having no experience in this subject at all, I was wondering if someone here could help me.

The questions are:

1) Is it possible to damage people using shoulders, actually slamming your shoulder(s) onto their bodies?

2) Is it effective for MMA purposes?

3) If the above question is true, why in MMA I see "just punches, kicks, knees, elbows and the occasional headbutt"?

4) What are the best shoulder striking techniques?
    Easy answer for #1: Do you know what football is?

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 10:19pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first style (TIen Shan Pai) did use shoulder strikes, usually when hands were tied up, to create space for an explosive attack, or to knock the opponent off balance. My shifu once slipped my right and threw his shoulder into my back and I flew forward and tripped over his leg...which was his point. I was used to not knowing where the hell I got hit from.

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 10:56pm

Style: LARPing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My instructor is hella good at these, I definatelly want to get great at these things.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 11:05pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Question: How do you not snap your clavicle like celery?

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 11:28pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehogey
    Question: How do you not snap your clavicle like celery?
    There are two basic types of shoulder strikes that you can do. The first one involves isolating the muscles (which takes a bit of practice for some people) and popping the shoulder forward. This should be done in concert with turning the hips and/or strraightening of the knees. This should bring the outside of your shoulder to bear, as opposed to ramming it forward along with the rest of your body.

The second type is to approach your target sideways (give or take). There are a few ways to do this, but your torso remains fairly still and the power comes from your legs. You can get under a person and jam upwards or you can drop your weight downwards.

I saw a great MMA match where one guy tied his opponent up against the cage wall. He didn't have a substantial positional advantage, but he was able to land a succession of shoulder strikes. On their own, they weren't much, but they started to add up fast. Within a minute, the opponent made a rushed move to disengage and -- by dropping his guard to do so -- got KTFO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 2:01am

Style: Chaquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by king of seals
    Having no experience in this subject at all, I was wondering if someone here could help me.

The questions are:

1) Is it possible to damage people using shoulders, actually slamming your shoulder(s) onto their bodies?

2) Is it effective for MMA purposes?

3) If the above question is true, why in MMA I see "just punches, kicks, knees, elbows and the occasional headbutt"?

4) What are the best shoulder striking techniques?
    1) yes, it can set things up too, or be a followup if you get too close.

2)it can knock someone down or set stuff up as i said or do some other stuff. gotta be able to train so you can do it hard without losing balance easily(person can pull or something).

3)because mma guys tend to just study mt/bjj/wrestling. but yes i have seen them in mma(only on the ground so far)

4.don't know how to describe it, other than a body check. They are however really old school ma techniques, which ppl don't think of as ma techs. My personal favorite, lunge punch-body check. gotta be 1 step though and quick.

HONEY BADGER!

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 12:32pm

Style: Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you guys. I would especially thank:

- Asia, for being a MA demigod.
    - Kengou, for providing Asia's video.
    - Yrkoon9 & Repulsive monkey for actually providing techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Kengou
    He said that if you are in close and grappling with your swords, then you can ram them with your shoulder to stun them, and from there follow up with a cut to kill them. The shoulder ram was somewhat special, but I don't remember exactly how he said it ought to be done.
    Gonna learn that in JJJ. The shoulder ram was after redirecting a downward slash. Deflect the slash to the right, ram with the right shoulder. Note: the opponent is supposed to wield the sword with BOTH hands!

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 2:50pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After trying the technique, if I managed to close well enough and get a good enough underhook without having my left side pounded by shovel-hooks, it was a decent technique, but not something I would depend on, by far.

(i also discovered i'm far better at kickboxing than boxing, but that's for the training journal)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 3:10pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While learning osoto gari, I was practicing with a guy who was about my height. When I did the throw, I got a little bit low as I stepped in. When I reaped, I stood into him and my shoulder hit him hard in the neck. He did that choke/cough thing.

Maybe you could practice this, but I don't think that it would be very high percentage.

I really like Asia's baji techniques, but it seems like you need to have a pretty good entry technique to really create damage with the shoulder. That probably just requires some good drilling, though.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 5:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my jujitsu class a couple days ago the shoulder ram entry variation came up on some throw...not osoto gari I think, but the guy teaching me said it was kind of rude and to avoid doing it that way in class.

The Baji thing is different and technically probably not a "shoulder" strike. You kind of slam your whole torso into somoene where the hips and shoulders land together. But it looks like a shoulder strike so .... meh.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast