Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 2:02am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure what you mean by 'sorta' and everyone has a different opinion here but my personal opinion is if you try to do too much at once you'll suck at everything for a LONG time.

Unless you have a lot of time on your hands and can spare it to train multiple things properly. If you do, more power to you, I'm jealous. But if you're working or studying probably not.

I think you'll progress WAY faster studying 1 thing, 3 times per week for an extended period, than you will studying 3 things, once a week.

(Yes I have done it with both methods....)
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 2:04am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i personally don't see a problem with jumping straight in. you'll probably decide which area you are best at, then focus on it a bit more later on.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 2:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guy is legit - have no worries. He is licensed by Erik Paulson

http://erikpaulson.com/wrapper.php?file=affiliates.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 2:29am

Style: Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcFu
    This guy is legit - have no worries. He is licensed by Erik Paulson

http://erikpaulson.com/wrapper.php?file=affiliates.htm
    Woot! Thanks. Think I'll still check it out before signing up though.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 3:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's my opinion.

Train at a martial arts dojo/gym that offers decent quality training to its students. As a rule if they have hard training sessions and do plenty of sparring (hard contact is normally best) than they are okay. Thats what you have to look for. Thats the key.

Avoid places who do not do any sparring with ressistance. If they sell you the "our style is too deadly for competition" line.....walk straight out of there.

Don't choose a place just because they have a MMA sign out the front. You may think " hey this place teaches BJJ and Muay Thai..great !". But if the instructor is a real asshole then I doubt you will enjoy it. Talk to the instructor. Ask him/her about how his sessions are run.

Train at a place with reasonable prices. Don't just sign up somewhere if they are just interested in money.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 9:16am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously, I'm biased, but I'd recommend a year or two in a judo dojo before making a decision.

Reasons:
    Judo, being an Olympic sport, is pretty uniform; most judoka do some competitions, so everybody knows the same basic set of skills. On the other hand, the competition, especially at local levels, isn't as extreme as some MMA.

It's generally cheaper than a lot of other styles, so you can invest your time with little financial cost.

Many judoka train in other styles, so you can get a perspective about other training, and how things in judo may be different.

Judo is based on competition, so a year in judo will help build basic physical attributes. A lot of this, as well as some techniques, will transfer to MMA.

To summarize, a year or two of judo is low risk for a newbie; and after that time, a newbie should be in a position to make a more informed choice.

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 9:19am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA is a training method (not style) and ruleset for a sport.

Therefore, you should check the credentials of their fight team. If they don't have one, they're not training in "MMA".

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 10:17am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've found it's harder (and more $$) to find a gym that teaches all aspects of MMA well, vs those that focus on a single art (boxing, judo, mt).

other than that I think cross training in multiple arts is the bees knees and I'd do it if i had the time/money.

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 11:22am

Style: boxing, gjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like someone earlier said, if it's a legit mma gym there will be sparring. A good way I've found to tell if someone is a good grappling teacher is if they can break down techniques and submissions. Anyone can watch UFC or TUF and know what an armbar is, but only someone well schooled can show the 'steps' involved.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2005 7:57pm

Style: Muay Thai - Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's my opinion:

I have spent my time training with the best people i could, friends names that people will be familiar with Erik Paulson, Arjarn Chai, Marcus Soares, Mike Sweeney, Denis Kang, Stephan Kesting etc... and have trained with some of the best in the world.

my attitude is simple shut up and train! But i also believe in providing the best possible facility i can, my school has two dojos in it and is very clean. I do my best to provide the best training and the best environment possible.

Adam Zugec
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast