Page 8 of 56 First ... 45678910111218 ... Last
  1. #71
    WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction. Join us... or die
    EternalRage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    3,360
    Style
    Bajillion Joo Jizzu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the hell is this? This makes me mad. Koreans are generally lazy, I know - I am one. Normally in a ceremony like this, someone gets a new belt (handed to) everyone drinks a shitload of soju, and someone gets their ass kicked. That's how Korean's work. None of this fancy schmancy tea drinking candle lighting bullshit. This is like the ceremony in Bloodsport where Van Damme and his azn friend went off in dresses into the woods for a Gay Scouts of America camping trip and they swapped phallic objects.

    Leave it to Americans and the ATA to take something as sacred as the Soju ridden ass whupping ceremony and turn it into a birthday party complete with presents and candles and FASTING?? WTF? Yes lets fast to the Eternal Supreme Major Commander Grandmaster of all that is good and holy, the ATA! RISE CHILDREN OF ATA AND BECOME ONE WITH MEDIOCRITY!

  2. #72

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    360
    Style
    HKD, TKD, Crappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by miguksaram
    Even a blind squirrel will eventually find a few nuts.
    Damn... that's good. I'm gonna use that one.

    There is an ATA School near us and I have heard the whole "high standards" bullshit from their students before. There is also aother TKD school from the ITA (not the pellagrini ITA, the Intl. TKD Alliance) that is, IMHO, as bad or worse.

    Isn't it comforting to know that ATA isn't alone out there in the world? They actually hae friends they can sit with, have a drink, and compare their suckitude.

  3. #73
    Miguksaram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,525
    Style
    Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    What the hell is this? This makes me mad. Koreans are generally lazy, I know - I am one. Normally in a ceremony like this, someone gets a new belt (handed to) everyone drinks a shitload of soju, and someone gets their ass kicked.......Leave it to Americans and the ATA to take something as sacred as the Soju ridden ass whupping ceremony and turn it into a birthday party complete with presents and candles and FASTING?? WTF?

    Funny you should mention the soju thing. After I received my 2nd dan I went to Korea and my wife's uncle, who is a 2nd generation BB under the Jidokwan, took me out to celebrate with some soju....and yes he did show me old school techniques which made new brusies on muscles I never knew existed.

    I say we do the Soju cermony. If you can drink a whole bottle by yourself and run your highest form, then you receive your rank. Sounds fair to me. :headbang:
    Jeremy M. Talbott

    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...


    SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

  4. #74

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    2,470
    Style
    Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by miguksaram
    Funny you should mention the soju thing. After I received my 2nd dan I went to Korea and my wife's uncle, who is a 2nd generation BB under the Jidokwan, took me out to celebrate with some soju....and yes he did show me old school techniques which made new brusies on muscles I never knew existed.

    I say we do the Soju cermony. If you can drink a whole bottle by yourself and run your highest form, then you receive your rank. Sounds fair to me. :headbang:
    Soju, one step short or anti-freeze.

    My father was the fire chief at Osan in 1998-1999. He got called by base police one night to come pick up a firefighter in the lock up at 3 am. They had picked him running around the base naked with a chicken super-glued to his head. When asked why he did it all he had was, "We started drinking Soju, and I don't remember anythign after that."
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

    "Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

    "If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

    "No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

  5. #75
    Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking... supporting member
    VikingPower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,993
    Style
    Kyokushin Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like my kind of drink! :thumbsup: That and absinthe are definitely on my list for the near future...

  6. #76
    Miguksaram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,525
    Style
    Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter H.
    Soju, one step short or anti-freeze.

    My father was the fire chief at Osan in 1998-1999. He got called by base police one night to come pick up a firefighter in the lock up at 3 am. They had picked him running around the base naked with a chicken super-glued to his head. When asked why he did it all he had was, "We started drinking Soju, and I don't remember anythign after that."
    There is a t-shirt that they used to sell by the army base in Seoul. It had a picture of Bill the Cat from Bloom County comics, and it read "The soju expierence..the party is over".

    It is like a sweet vodka. You sip and sip and then out of nowhere the world begins to speed up its rotation.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...


    SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

  7. #77

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    FT Bliss, TX
    Posts
    155
    Style
    MACP Level 1 +1 Mana
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Soju is only like 22% alcohol....how is it so damn devestating? My work sells it....tastes...alright.

  8. #78
    Miguksaram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,525
    Style
    Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SARS_Attacks
    Soju is only like 22% alcohol....how is it so damn devestating? My work sells it....tastes...alright.
    Mostly because everyone shoots it. Plus which soju do you sell? There are different types. I don't recall off hand but I believe the soju they sell in Korea and the stuff that they export to us has a different potency. Again, I am not sure.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...


    SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

  9. #79

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    FT Bliss, TX
    Posts
    155
    Style
    MACP Level 1 +1 Mana
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by miguksaram
    Mostly because everyone shoots it. Plus which soju do you sell? There are different types. I don't recall off hand but I believe the soju they sell in Korea and the stuff that they export to us has a different potency. Again, I am not sure.
    I forget what its called, but its in a green bottle and has an image of a bamboo stalk and i think a frog on it. My boss sells a lot of Korean wines. Bek Se Ju and Sansuchan being the other 2.

  10. #80

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    San Angelo, TX
    Posts
    2,470
    Style
    Aikido-Kickboxing-Taichi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by miguksaram
    There is a t-shirt that they used to sell by the army base in Seoul. It had a picture of Bill the Cat from Bloom County comics, and it read "The soju expierence..the party is over".

    It is like a sweet vodka. You sip and sip and then out of nowhere the world begins to speed up its rotation.

    Mine says" The Soju Experience...Party in Korea" around Bill the Cat. My girlfriend sleeps in it right now. Somewhere I have an empty Soju bottle being used as a candleabra and the box it came in is holding pictures.

    My understanding is there is little regulation and no quality control on most Soju, so you could be getting anything from cough syrup to pure grain alcohol.
    "Quiet fool before I am kicking the butt!"
    -My three year old trash talking to me

    "Integrity can't be bought or sold---you either have it or you don't."
    -The Honky Tonk Man

    "If you can't be a shining example, at least be a dire warning."
    -My Father to me one day

    "No surprise. Until Aikido sheds its street-brawling, thuggish image, it'll never be mainstream."
    -Don Gwinn

Page 8 of 56 First ... 45678910111218 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO