Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 7:38am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaiboxerken
    That's a myth created by skinny little bitches who are jealous because they can't get HUGE! :wrestlera
    Its funny because the dude who said it was a big guy. A big ATA instructor. I think it had more to do with point sparring.

Do people who are tall and lanky typically do better at point sparring? I would think the reach advantage would be an even bigger advantage in point sparring so give people who are taller, and probably thinner, an advantage perpetuating a false notion that being muscular is not desirable for fighting.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 7:47am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by A.D.D
    Its funny because the dude who said it was a big guy. A big ATA instructor. I think it had more to do with point sparring.

Do people who are tall and lanky typically do better at point sparring? I would think the reach advantage would be an even bigger advantage in point sparring so give people who are taller, and probably thinner, an advantage perpetuating a false notion that being muscular is not desirable for fighting.
    Not always so. If you look at the Tankson family (for those who follow any of the Sport Karate tournaments), they are relatively small, but they are quick. LaRoyce who is the smaller of the group is maybe 5'8" at the most, but the fucker is quick and mean. He trully needs to stop waisting his talents at point and start moving up to more full contact K1 type fighting. Jason Tankson is also quick and likes to get inside. I have seen them take many taller people out. When it comes to point fighting, it is about being faster to the hit more than the hit itself.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 10:15am

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Completely. If you can hit the guy half as hard, but four times as many... hehe, that's twice the skull rocking. I do love point sparring (I know asbestos jock installed heh). But I'd also love to do more of a K1 type fighting (assuming time to condition etc), the UFC isn't my style as a striker, but I love to watch them and appreciate the way they simply manhandle people.

In point sparring height/reach definitely has an advantage. BUT, if the tall person is slow and doesn't have an inside game, it can be over in a hurry. Heck, even a fast tall guy with no inside game will get eaten up. Usually I've seen that it intimidates people, but some of the best fighters I've seen have been the wirey 5'8" guys who come out like a wound up tasmanian devil.

KP, great avatar. Though I like the stormtrooper chick as well ;p

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 5:16pm

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

It helps, but it's not the be-all end-all advantage. Lopez (Gold medalist) is something like 6'1 or 6'2, and 150ish lbs, but the man is QUICK! I have more problems with quick sparrers than I do tall or heavy contact sparrers.

Aodhan

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 6:29pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shu2jack
    I too am interested in the article, but I would have to question it's validity because of the different requirements and methods of training in different ATA schools. I hope the article has locations and names to go with it.
    Still got ties with the ATA, but if I get a case of the "I don't care at all anymore" I'll be more than happy to give all the info, but it'd be pretty obvious to some ATA people who I am.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 7:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHippy
    Still got ties with the ATA, but if I get a case of the "I don't care at all anymore" I'll be more than happy to give all the info, but it'd be pretty obvious to some ATA people who I am.
    Did you post the article for approval, or were you holding it back? I'd be interested in seeing it, even if only offline and private.

Aodhan

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2005 10:53pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I posted it for aproval, so now I guess we just need to wait.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2005 9:05am

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aodhan
    It helps, but it's not the be-all end-all advantage. Lopez (Gold medalist) is something like 6'1 or 6'2, and 150ish lbs, but the man is QUICK! I have more problems with quick sparrers than I do tall or heavy contact sparrers.

Aodhan
    Just thinking of reasons why this particular guy was giving the advice of NOT gaining any muscle in order to be quicker.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2005 10:12am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHippy

I guess my question is this: if you get that feeling or case, then what does it matter if some ATA people know who you are? And what topic does "all the info" revolve around anyway?
    Last edited by gonchez; 7/28/2005 10:13am at . Reason: Changed Am to And in the last question...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2005 12:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just thinking of reasons why this particular guy was giving the advice of NOT gaining any muscle in order to be quicker.
    This is why I don't like the way this only quotes one post, rather than all the quoted posts.

Here is the post I was referring to:

My response was that reach is an advantage, but not the biggest one. The biggest one is speed (IMO, regarding point sparring). Nowhere did I say anything about not gaining muscle. Lopez, the example I referenced, may be faster if he gained more muscle, he may not be, but I didn't use him as an example of why not to gain muscle.

Aodhan