All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/22/2005 12:28am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dc725
    There is a place for the ATA, and how it trains kids, I like the idea of teaching kids to control thier emotions and their bodies. Learning how to walk away from a fight without losing control is every bit as important as kicking the snot out of someone. There are a lot of nut cases out there with guns, knives and hot heads. It's important to understand that sometimes walking away is the best choice. When a kid is ready to get into the snot kicking phase he/she can go to the martial arts that allow more full-contact and snot-kicking.
    A laudable sentiment, but can't all those emotional and societal goals be taught along with realistic fighting?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2005 12:40am

Style: tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

truthfully I don't know

I think that there is a place for those who want to do something that runs the risk of major bodily harm. While the ATA does not offer that, it does offer people at least to learn to bear themselves so they they don't look like victims, and to block or dodge a punch. I agree, most dojang trained martial artists have no idea what it feels like to have that adrenal dump and how to work through that and not end up dead. You have a good point for which I do not have a ready answer. I quite frankly worry about that too.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/22/2005 1:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that there is a place for those who want to do something that runs the risk of major bodily harm. While the ATA does not offer that, it does offer people at least to learn to bear themselves so they they don't look like victims, and to block or dodge a punch. I agree, most dojang trained martial artists have no idea what it feels like to have that adrenal dump and how to work through that and not end up dead. You have a good point for which I do not have a ready answer. I quite frankly worry about that too.
    See, I think it's very dangerous to teach someone the bearing of a fighter without imparting the skills of a fighter to go with it . . . a confident mien might make the right beggar or mugger think twice, but it might make the wrong one take a swing as well, so when you choose to walk that path, you need to be ready to follow through.

The thing is, I actually thought like you did when I was in high school. Since, I've trained and sparred very hard, and I've found that hard sparring and hard training don't actually wear on you as badly as many as people think. Now, I've come to understand that it is not needful to sabotage the intensity of training to teach people things like conflict resolutioin and awareness.

Don't get me wrong, I like sport karate - I think sport style sparring has a place as a weekend sport and as something you can do on a literally daily basis, but hard contact is something I think a school should offer enough that a fighter in training can spar hard 2-5 times a week. And I think 2 is an absolute minimum.

I think if you have a rank as a martial artist that is not built on hard fighting, or if you hold a rank as a child, it should be a different order of rank entirely then someone who fights on a frequent basis.

Of course, I have crazy ideas - I think there should be some sort of liscense to teach martial arts and to use terms like "self defense" in your ad copy, too - so maybe the world just isn't ready for me :eusa_eh:
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2005 1:49am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This might be a little off-topic, but does anyone not like the idea of their kids being instilled with the TMA definition of respect? The respect is attached to the title and not the actions of the individual. Perhaps this is because there was a time where there wasn't much difference between the two.

But, here in reality, just because someone has more experience in a field or has achieved more than you doesn't necessarily mean you can trust their opinion or gain from any emulation. I think one of the most damaging things you can do to a kid is introduce them to peasant honor.

As a child I had a crook MA instructor and sub-standard school teachers and I think I'd be a lot better at the things I do if no one expected me to respect them for their title.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/22/2005 2:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampa
    This might be a little off-topic, but does anyone not like the idea of their kids being instilled with the TMA definition of respect? The respect is attached to the title and not the actions of the individual. Perhaps this is because there was a time where there wasn't much difference between the two.

But, here in reality, just because someone has more experience in a field or has achieved more than you doesn't necessarily mean you can trust their opinion or gain from any emulation. I think one of the most damaging things you can do to a kid is introduce them to peasant honor.

As a child I had a crook MA instructor and sub-standard school teachers and I think I'd be a lot better at the things I do if no one expected me to respect them for their title.
    Good points, all around. Particularly about the teachers - teachers are supposed to be these unhearlded saints, but the fact is, I should have called more of them on their BS.

Too often we overload our systems, and we then demand those making use of those systems relax their demands upon the systems so that there will be a system tomorrow...there has to be a better way.
  6. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    7/22/2005 7:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    Fine we will and the topics will get harder.

First of, what is up with the ATA so geared toward Family-oriented Martial arts? Iím a firm believer that anyone can do Martial arts. But bringing your spouse and kids to your training hall and training with them by your side. Come on! What, you have such a great family you can't live 2 hours without them?

Don't you think that maybe the ATA looses a lot of credibility of a hard fighting system by having so many families?
    I have my whole family training...
    Me, wife, son, daughter, other son, and sister-in-law, Just one more and we will look like this...
    :wav:
  7. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    7/22/2005 7:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I grew accustomed to being able to say the F-word without checking over my shoulder to see if my mother was coming with a bar of soap.
    Filthy mouthed hooligan!

:laughing1
  8. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    7/22/2005 7:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spock
    I like the idea of teaching kids to control their emotions.
    Last edited by KhorneliusPraxx; 7/22/2005 8:33am at .

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    7/22/2005 8:25am

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    I have my whole family training...
    Me, wife, son, daughter, other son, and sister-in-law, Just one more and we will look like this...
    :wav:
    That's exactly what I don't want to see.Famly gatherings.

By the way, great avatar!Who is that? :happy2:

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    7/22/2005 8:39am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tiffany Teen, I believe. To see some more of her you can go to:
    Last edited by Locu5; 7/31/2005 7:02pm at .
Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 364243444546 47484950 ... LastLast