Page 42 of 56 FirstFirst ... 323839404142 4344454652 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 1:04pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am many things. What I am not is someone who doesn't speak his mind. Having guts or balls has never been an issue for me.

True - the information you gave me didn't identify your brother. However, I believe you said he was a 5th degree school owner. I made the assumption that he would be teaching either in Canada, Oregon or Washington. If that is not the case, I stand corrected. Is he in one of those locations or isn't he?

As for contacting him and tell him you were running him down: although I don't know you, it appears that you are quite opinionated. I assume he would already know your feelings on the matter. Addtionally, it isn't worth my time to run and tell anyone anything.

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 1:07pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaverickZ
    goddammit! i'm always getting ripped off. always. i've been at this for i dunno how long and i'm _still_ only a first degree.
    See, you're just not putting out enough dough. Moolah. Clams. Cabbage.

Effort. I mean effort. Yeah, that's the word. :eusa_shif

-daGorilla

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 1:24pm

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Yes, the phrase "quit competing after green belt" would cover that, I think.

You seem to have some "point" you're working up to, that you doubtlessly think is going to silence me. Why don't you say it, then?
    No point at all. Just curious.

Aodhan

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 1:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    Moving to MegaThreads.
    YAY!!! Congrats to everyone...Good job! Now let's drop this thread and move onto something more. :toothy2:
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 2:58pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't close it now, after a good 400+ messages I finally figured I'd sign up.

Seriously though, from hate/like/love/loathe, it is interesting for me to see how others feel about the ATA. I do find that most have just a 'microsoft' opinion about the org, mainly opinions gathered from what they hear from people around them rather than firsthand knowledge. Though there are some who've had firsthand experience and loathe it (per JKDChick etc).

I've been in the ATA for 20 years now and I plan on doing at least that many more. Though as always I am open to learning other styles to augment. (I don't think any single style is complete or perfect, otherwise it would be the only style left ;p).

Ok, I'm putting on my asbestos cup and dobok.

Ps. One of the things I have found very nice about this thread is that people are actually talking to other people and not simply regurgitating rhetoric (ok mostly, but we're getting there).

Still digging on James Brown

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 2:59pm

Style: BJJ & Judo (1k)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aodhan
    There's an ATA black belt in Colorado that made alternate on the last Olympic team
    My former instructor told me, when I asked about ATA-members competing outside ATA, that there is one guy who kicks a lot of ass in WTF-style tournaments but still isn't allowed on the US national team. Do you know anything about this?

And gonchez, what does nationally certified grappling instructor mean?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 3:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd heard of an ATAer on the backup squad so to speak, but nothing concrete.

I have competed in open tournaments, though it has been a few years. The nearest large scale tournament to me that I'm aware of would be in Portland with Master Dacascos (an amazing martial artist in my view).

There used to be an annual event in Albany hosted by Master Frank Perry, but I haven't seen it put on for a number of years now.

If anyone knows of events in Oregon I'd love to hear about them as well. There is something to be said testing yourself against the random styles (I still laugh thinking of that kid in monkey kung-fu running up that 6'4" TKD guy's leg and pounding him in the head).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 3:33pm

Style: tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

will someone please please explain to them about the camo belt

It has been asked over and over -- why the camo belt. I do not know. But it appears to be something they really want to know. Anyone who can explain, please do tell.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 3:39pm

Style: TKD, JKD, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dc725
    It has been asked over and over -- why the camo belt. I do not know. But it appears to be something they really want to know. Anyone who can explain, please do tell.
    Must be a new trend to reel in more students.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2005 3:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you can hide in the forest?
    Seriously though, I had a hiatus for a few years while I went and got degrees, career, married, family etc, I come back and we had not 6 belts.. but .. (let's see, white, orange, yellow, camo, green, purple, blue, brown, red, red/black... black...) 11 belts.
    T
    he meanings of the original belts stand, the camo's meaning is:
    'The sapling is hidden amongst the taller pines and must now fight its way upwards.

(Songahm being Pine Tree Temple (or pine tree cell if you remember the old old translation) so everything relates to the student going from a seed/sapling into a tree as far as the knowledge of ATA TKD goes)

Incedentally, camo is the first belt where sparring is part of the curriculum, you remember... shin crackers :) .

So why Camo? Heck, I think because light green and dark green would have been more strange? Hard to say, but I think it has to do with the colors being between yellow and green in the spectrum (getting darker as you progress in rank etc).

That's my take on it.