Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2005 5:13pm

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    Hey Aodhan,

Nice to see you found your way over here from karateforums.com. If you do a search on this forum, you can find threads filled to the brim with ATA horror stories from a multitude of people, none of which I think have been topped by any of the other conventional martial arts systems, those horror stories rank up there amongst Oom Yung Doe and Ashida.

Hope you can add some better experiences to the fold. The only problem I saw with the ceremony was the tea drinking, fasting (can you explain the purpose of fasting for a rank test) and the presents given to the master. It just seemed kinda hokey and just thrown in there to emulate some sort of Korean system traditionalism. But as stated before (in a rather jovial manner), the traditional Korean rank ceremony consists of alcohol and an ass beating.

Anyway welcome to Bullshido, hope the flaming doesn't get too hot...
    Nah, doesn't matter anyway. I've got my asbestos dobok, otherwise known as an XMA uniform. (Oh yeah, THAT should get a few flames alone!) :D

Notice, I'm not saying there aren't some ATA McDojos out there. The ATA does an incredible job of providing a great business model and support, unfortunately, an instructor can choose to pursue the money instread of the art. A good instructor will make money no matter what by having a better product. It's when the art fails and the business takes precedence that you get a McDojo.

I've seen them in the ATA, but the worst I've seen was a Kenpo school in Colorado. I came in with some MA experience, and because of my "exceptional talent", I learned I qualified for their super black belt accelerated program, guaranteed to make me a BB in 8months (Or less if I trained more than twice a week). I lasted about two weeks there before I walked out.

Aodhan

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2005 8:35pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the consensus is that ATA has so many McDojangs, that is the overwhelming impression that you get from the entire organization. The "hardcore" schools are few and far between.

ATA teaches groundfighting: In 90%+ of their schools, you will not see this material unless you opt to pay extra for it for a short seminar held as a side activity at one of their tournaments. The seminars are taught by graduates of other seminars.

ATA teaches jointlocks: See above.

Many ATA schools are buying into the FIGHT/ Krav Maga thing these days to get adults back on the mat. One more week long certification course to sell another product.

For instructor development, ATA is great as far as paper and patches go.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2005 10:02pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aodhan
    Nah, doesn't matter anyway. I've got my asbestos dobok, otherwise known as an XMA uniform. (Oh yeah, THAT should get a few flames alone!) :D

Notice, I'm not saying there aren't some ATA McDojos out there. The ATA does an incredible job of providing a great business model and support, unfortunately, an instructor can choose to pursue the money instread of the art. A good instructor will make money no matter what by having a better product. It's when the art fails and the business takes precedence that you get a McDojo.

I've seen them in the ATA, but the worst I've seen was a Kenpo school in Colorado. I came in with some MA experience, and because of my "exceptional talent", I learned I qualified for their super black belt accelerated program, guaranteed to make me a BB in 8months (Or less if I trained more than twice a week). I lasted about two weeks there before I walked out.

Aodhan
    Well, I think we are in a situation where intellegent responses would be lacking if the only interaction can be done on the message board.

Personally, I never heard or seen anything about an ATA school that could be described as positive. But, you never know how good or bad a school is until you have experiences with students of other schools. This applies to everyone.

So, I would recommend you post in the throwdown section and find one in your area. If you can do stand-up with people of similar training experience and hang then good for you, you've got a nice place and we are wrong about global statements on the ATA. If you can't hang with less experienced people then maybe there is more wrong with your school than you realize. Outside of that we'll never really have much to go on.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    7/18/2005 10:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good first post from Aodhan, I gotta admit (mostly cause he said my articles were great :thumbsup: lol)
  5. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 7:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KhorneliusPraxx
    Let me get this straight...
    To be a certified instructor for the ATA, you need:
    1. to be able to drink tea.
    2. to be able to light a candle.
    3. to be able to fold your clothes.
    4. to have an inner ear infection.
    The lady in question is still going through rehab for surgeries and injuries.
    Great job!!! Now I look like my initial bullshido enemy, Brand!
    Dilemma: She was born in Vietnam and had polio as a baby. As a result, her left leg is an inch shorter than the other and has very little muscle. She couldn't sustain her own weight on her left leg alone (not for very long anyway). Most people don't notice until it is pointed out but there is a significant difference between the two...
    Quote Originally Posted by brandeissansoo
    She should do whatever art pirates did. Some of those guys only had a peg leg
    Thanx everybody, except for brandeissansoo. What kind of A-hole makes fun of a polio victem? Helpless babies, in war torn countries, stricken with crippling disease...HILARIOUS!

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 8:01am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does the ATA train you for self defense? Yes, absolutely. Will it work in an environment such as the octagon, or other MMA type event? Probably not.
    Could you explain this more? Does it not work against people that train arts used in mma (boxing, MT, bjj, judo, wrestling, etc) or does it stop working once you are in an eight sided arena?

Cause to me it seems you saying it's only effective against untrained people. :XXeyeslam

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 9:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateNinja5000
    Could you explain this more? Does it not work against people that train arts used in mma (boxing, MT, bjj, judo, wrestling, etc) or does it stop working once you are in an eight sided arena?

Cause to me it seems you saying it's only effective against untrained people. :XXeyeslam
    Not at all. We teach one hand, two hand, grab, choke and other releases, and basic to intermediate joint lock progressions, starting at orange belt all the way through the upper ranks. As you get higher in rank, they do get more difficult, but they are still probably not to the level of a good jiujitsu practicioner. There are moves, countermoves, counter counter moves, etc. and unless you train specifically in those, you really aren't going to be able to hold your own against someone that does. But before you slam the ATA for that, most striking arts are the same way.

I feel pretty confident (And I'm going to look for a throwdown in my area as soon as I have time after the wedding....should have just eloped) that I can stack up against just about anyone while standing, but if I went to ground, I don't think my level of skill would stack up against someone that trains in it specifically. One reason that I am going to start taking hapkido, and why I am going to either incorporate it into my school (When I get one) or encourage my students to crosstrain in a ground art as well. ANY stand up striking art is great if you never get taken down.

Now, to be fair, 95% of the time that you get into any kind of trouble on the street, it's going to be against someone that probably has no training at all. In that case, the altercation probably won't go to the ground, you can take them standing up. And, if you do end up getting tackled, the basic/intermediate material you know will suffice. It's the extra 5% that have the training that you have to worry about.

Aodhan

P.S. I don't know who mentioned Krav Maga....but our school never offered it, and it kind of came and went. Kind of like last seasons board shorts. :D

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 9:25am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you come to the Atlanta MegaThrowdown?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 9:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by locu5
    Can you come to the Atlanta MegaThrowdown?
    HAH! I wish! :D

I live in Phoenix, Az. I'm going to look for a throwdown in my area, but I have a wedding to plan and get through, my high school teaching and student teaching to do, and I'm finishing my last 100 hours of student teaching at my dojang before I take my own instructor certification camp.

It'll probably be late Feb/early March before I'll have time to get to one, unless it's in my backyard. But I'll get to one, I'd like to see how I stack up against similar trained people. (Other than some of the open tourneys I've been to.)

One quick question, is it similar style vs. similar style? Or anything goes? (I know, I know, f'n n00b...I'll go read the FAQ. Never mind....I didn't ask. Move along, nothing to see here...)

Aodhan

Zombie Herald

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 9:43am

supporting member
     Style: Alliance BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find someone who wants to spar. Agree to do standup, grappling, MMA, etc. Spar. Rinse repeat. Go get sushi.