Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 6:44pm

Style: Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rah
    Really? That's interesting considering theres so much regulation around absinthe. Absinthe is illegal here in the US right? In england its legal up until a percentage of about 72% alcohol i think. I've heard it can go even higher in eastern europe though.

Any ideas why soju doesn't come under similar regulation?
    It's not the alcohol content that makes absinthe illegal in the US. The real stuff contains wormwood, which is a hallucinogen. I think they sell wormwood-free absinthe in the US, though it's not very popular. But if you go to Europe you can get the real stuff. :)

Knee + Head = Black Eye * 2

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 6:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocletian
    It's not the alcohol content that makes absinthe illegal in the US. The real stuff contains wormwood, which is a hallucinogen. I think they sell wormwood-free absinthe in the US, though it's not very popular. But if you go to Europe you can get the real stuff. :)
    A good substitute I've heard is <a href="http://www.chartreuse.fr/">chartreuse</a> which they do sell in the US. I've not had absinthe, but I can testafy that Chartreuse fucks you up, and the ladies love it.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 8:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The wormwood is what slowly poisons you too, hence why you hafta take breaks in between drinking sessions. Van Gogh chopped off his ear and gave it to that whore because he was going insane from absinthe poisoning.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 11:04pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Neither absinthe nor wormwood are technically universally illegal in the united states - their sale as a consumable is what's regulated. I don't believe it is actually a controlled substance, except insansmuch as it is as alchohol.

You can buy wormwood, or import absinthe, but when you try to market it, you're breaking the same laws we have against, say, selling bleach as a beverage.

Also, some of the historical properties of absinth were lent to it by other chemicals used in - cupric sulfate used for coloring, among others.

And van gogh was also probably a manic depressive and an alchoholic - my theory is that his liver cut his ear off to teach him a lesson.

Abesntee is another brand of thujone free absinth you cab buy here.
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 7/14/2005 11:06pm at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 11:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Yeah. Got fucked around because I was a woman and because I was white. If I fought a Korean girl in a tourny, she would always win. ALWAYS. She could not land a kick, not a single shot would even come close to being a point, all the points would be called to ME and she'd win.

Boys were given multiple attempts to break boards at testing, if I didn't get it the first time, fail.
    I'm sorry to say but Kyokushin is very much the same.It doesn't matter if you are winning in the final round of the World Open Karate Tournament,in Japan.If your opponent is Japanese.He or she will surely win.The judges are always Japansese.The votes will be cast against you.You want to win the World, then you better Knockout your opponent.That's it,that's all.

Don't let me get started on the almost sham that goes on here in Canada.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 4:28am

Style: HKD, TKD, Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did anyone here join the ATA forum to give them a well deserved spanking? :spanky:

I just don't wanna... I can't even bring myself to address these fucks without wqanting to put one in a hole in the desert... but the first step to healing is admitting I have a problem...

but I could live vicariously through one of you :laughing6

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 6:56pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think I understood the true nature of McDojoism before watching that vid. At least my old kung-fu school demanded that you knew your forms well, and performed them with intent. This was probably the sorriest excuse for martial arts I've ever seen.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

He'll flip ya!

Posted On:
    7/16/2005 7:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Not.....working

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read on some guys bio that he trained in ATA Wutu in Sweden.Maybe we should ask that guy?

Edit:It's MEGALEF the guy I was thinking of.In fact I have a feeling he already posted his opinions of ATA.SO ask him.
    Last edited by CanucKyokushin; 7/16/2005 11:14pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2005 4:26pm

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All right, I'll show a little fortitude :D

1) The original poster is a troll. Nobody I know would post regarding the ATA in that manner, most of us have brains.

2) Chartreuse has it all over absinthe. Chartreuse rocks. (How can a liquor invented by monks be bad?)

As far as the video goes, it shows the ceremony at the end of a 3 day camp, which is the final step in a certification process. The lady in question is still going through rehab for surgeries and injuries.

As far as the ATA goes, do they have McDojo schools? Sure. So does any large MA organization (WTF, ITF, ITA, Shotokan, etc.) I've trained in Shotokan, Kenpo, WTF, ITF, ATA, and am adding combat Hapkido starting in a couple weeks for the groundfighting and extra weapons. My first shotokan school, I did nothing but stances for 6 months. My next shotokan school, I gained 3 belts in the same time frame.

Does the ATA train you for self defense? Yes, absolutely. Will it work in an environment such as the octagon, or other MMA type event? Probably not. There is some groundwork and joint lock teachings in the ATA, but not enough to allow someone to compete well in that arena. (At least after they got ahold of me...hehehe). However, most traditional TKD systems would not fare any better (As evidenced by the body slam victim link I found on here.)

There are things I agree with in the ATA, and things I don't agree with, but I really like the system and the art, and I can work within it (Once I get the rank) to try and change some of the things that I'm not too wild about.

As far as the "sucking of some dead koreans dick", you sir are a prime asshole. Grandmaster H.U. Lee created the ATA 35 years ago, and built it into a multinational system of MA, and was honored several times by the Korean government. He died in 2001 of cancer, and since he was our founder, we call him Eternal Grandmaster, out of respect. If you have a problem with it, then you aren't really worth my time.

On the whole I am a fairly reasonable MA, able to see the strengths and weaknesses in my system, and always ready for a little scrap. :D

So, flame away, as I am sure you are wont to to, and we'll have some fun.

Aodhan
    P.S. As far as my background, I have a degree in exercise kinesiology, have been in MA for about 10 years, ATA for the past 4, and a competing athlete since I was about 4 or 5. (30+ years now)

Koto Ryu....a couple of excellent articles in your sig line sir. Nicely done.
    Last edited by Aodhan; 7/18/2005 4:28pm at .

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    7/18/2005 4:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Aodhan,

Nice to see you found your way over here from karateforums.com. If you do a search on this forum, you can find threads filled to the brim with ATA horror stories from a multitude of people, none of which I think have been topped by any of the other conventional martial arts systems, those horror stories rank up there amongst Oom Yung Doe and Ashida.

Hope you can add some better experiences to the fold. The only problem I saw with the ceremony was the tea drinking, fasting (can you explain the purpose of fasting for a rank test) and the presents given to the master. It just seemed kinda hokey and just thrown in there to emulate some sort of Korean system traditionalism. But as stated before (in a rather jovial manner), the traditional Korean rank ceremony consists of alcohol and an ass beating.

Anyway welcome to Bullshido, hope the flaming doesn't get too hot...