Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2005 7:28pm

Style: Goju

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"Small Dojo, BIG Profits" - McDojo manual?

I'm planning on reading "Small Dojo, BIG Profits"
    author: Mike Massie

just for the hell of it, since I can't find any independant unbiased reviews. Instead what I find thru a google search is repeated propaganda. Any mention of this book in MA forums gets you a post in the face from the author (or perhaps someone paid to speak for the author...maybe a blue belt student of Sensei MMassie)

With this title, what kind of Instructor do you think would likely pick it up and read it? Should it be: "Small Sensei, BIG dreams"?

"BIG profits" in the title smells of McDojo manual bullshido via marketing Jedi mind tricks...or am I judging a book by it's cover?

I've been wrong before, so like I said, I plan to read it. just thought I'd throw this question out there during my run to the library to check this out. Hey, did you think I was going to buy this book? Hell no...BIG profits step 1: don't buy what you can borrow. :wink:

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/12/2005 7:29pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a shame there is no other thread dedicated to this, huh?

PL

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/12/2005 7:32pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I guess I could do a review on this one too. I'll see what I can do. Have you tried Amazon????

No longer a Kaju-Critic

Posted On:
    7/12/2005 7:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Kajukenbo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen books like this before. Many range from being complete bullshido (giving away belts, teaching watered down materials, etc etc etc) but some are actually very useful for anyone wanting to make their school a business as well. Simple things like making your school look (and smell, thats a big one) nicer to attract more people. How to be alot better at customer friendliness. You'd be surprised how much this helps business (from what I've seen).

basically, some books = stuff any business should know and good and some = complete bullshido makers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 11:04am

Style: JKD , Spirit Fingers

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Samuel Browning did post a bit from the author of that book where he gave some historical pricing data relative to current inflation. I was surprised to see that those older rates would equal anywhere from $125-200/month.

No an excuse for gouging, but for the full time instructors who may be struggling because of their pricing structure, it was a bit of an eye opener.