Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 11:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop-Loops
    I don't think I've ever trained in a school that had 100 consistent students.

PL
    Exactly. If you think you only have 50 consistently paying students take the numbers and divide it by half that you take home. Your other expenses probably remain about the same though regardless of the number of active students you have. The only part of the equation that really changes is how much you get to take home with you.

There's a reason why so many schools want contracts. They know the turnover is high, but they need to keep the lights on. I'm not convinced that most schools that use contracts (even though I hate them myself) are necessarily McDojos. I think they have made a business decision (however bad) to make their school economically viable.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 11:37pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by katana
    So what am I saying? $100 a month, put in context of running a modern school with modern expenses, is not highway robbery by any stretch.

I'm in total agreement with you there; the expenses of running a place can be outrageous, and those costs have got to be covered somehow.

But, I think that by the time the costs are at $100 or more a month and you have a school which needs very badly to appeal to better off members of the general public, you're already creating an environment which is not geared towards creating fighters, but rather towards appealing to the general public, who don't want to get hit and don't have a lot of time they want to devote to MA. So, if you are a serious student who really wants to learn how to fight, by the time you're paying that much money at a big dojo you're already not where you want to be.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 11:51pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guy who complained about the fees at his dojo being 'too high' is a complete jackass. To me that is like going to the grocery store and saying that Fruit Loops are 'too expensive.'

Econ 101 tells us that just like any other industry, instructors are going to charge as much as they can get away with and their students are going to pay as little as they can get away with. Depending on the supply of instructors and the demand for instruction, an equilibrium price is reached that maximizes profit for the instructors.

If someone thinks that their dojo's fees are too high or the quality of instruction is too low for what they are paying, I have a tip for them: DON'T PATRONIZE THAT DOJO. Just like if I think Fruit Loops at my local grocery store are too expensive, I don't buy them.

However, on the flipside, I don't want to hear this B.S. about instructors having to feed their kids. My advice to instructors are: charge the maximum you can charge (anyone who thinks that you shouldn't is an idiot) but don't complain if your revenue is not high enough to make ends meet. That's business and everyone has to suffer in this world of scarcity.

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    7/12/2005 3:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Regardless, 125 is NOT a good deal. Its fair enough, but its pretty much the top of the prices. And watch what a mcdojo instructer rides. They are NOT starving, yet they dont all tend to charge 125. As far as consistently paying students, thats what contracts are for.
    Perhaps some people who run schools currently can chime in on what they actually pay. Regardless, I don't think most people running MA schools are rolling in cash especially for the amount of work they put into it. I don't see a problem with an instructor making a good living doing what they're doing especially if they've worked hard to build up their school. Same as in any other vocation.

Seeker of Knowledge

Posted On:
    7/12/2005 5:39am

supporting member
     Style: Chen Style Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I cant believe people bitch and moan about 125 for a month of many lessons... sure if you were only allowed one class a week then maybe just maybe the bitching and moaning would be slightly justified... but in most cases its multiple classes a week in pretty good gyms (for those that post here)... jesus people want the best for peanuts....
    "If you can get it from my kungfu grip then you can have it... otherwise... step off b*t*h!!!" - Meet the Parents

"Hetero or Homo I don't see anyone telling him, "NO SIR I WILL NOT TAKE IT IN THE ASS!!!" " - Asia

"My neighbor has what he calls an "immortality potion" that will let you live forever.
    People have been telling him that it's stupid and will not work... for 1200 years." - Leodom

Banish Uncertainty
    Affirm Strength
    Hold Resolve
    Expect Death - read in a book

http://uk.360.yahoo.com/shadowdh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2005 10:05am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I pay $30 a week, which seems to be on the high end.
    I feel fine paying that though- it works out to $5 a lesson (or $3.33 per hour), so
    I don't think that is unreasonable.

we don't exactly attract a lot of soccer moms or businessmen, though.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/12/2005 10:43am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    running a school costs a fuckload more here in nyc than in indiana, georgia or canada. no one seems to think about that. so realize that schools in major cities (nyc, san fran, la, boston, tokyo, etc.) have to charge more. everything costs more in a big city. coffee, bottled water. restaurants.

our rates run between $100-$125 a month for the main branch (classes 7 days a week) and $75 a month for the sattelite branch in brooklyn (classes 3 days a week.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/12/2005 10:54am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowdh
    jesus people want the best for peanuts....
    if instructors wish to approach martial arts as business owners and service providers, then students must approach martial arts as smart consumers; and smart consumers try to get as much as they can for their dollar.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    7/12/2005 11:12am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    - Good
    - Fast
    - Cheap

Pick two. One way or another, the third will be lacking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/12/2005 11:28am

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

$80

We charge $80/month, with about 100 or so students. We are not even breaking even. We pay about $5500 rent/month between two dojangs and $2500 to split amongst 3 main instructors and 3 assitant instructors, advertising costs and utilites and such. We have just closed one dojang and are consoladating the clubs into one central location that we are buying instead of renting so in the long run we will be making lots of dough.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast