STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 4:30am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

visit to a kickboxing club

sort of a follow up to the tkd school visit, today I went to the kickboxing class. Taught by a guy called Peter Thompson. it was a WAKO club, which meant there was no kicks below the waist, elbows, or knees. for me knees and low kicks are my bread and butter so i figured it would be fun to try something a bit different.

I turn up and meet Pete, hes pretty friendly and about my size. asks me about my experience like all instructors do, I think he knew my old coach up in whangarei (hes a whangarei boy like me which instantly means we both know all the same people) He said that what they do is a bit different to MT, a bit more "traditional" but he didnt mind me wearing my MT shorts. which is good because i cant kick for crap in pants, get sweaty and sticky. also, they use a grading system. I didnt really have much of an idea of how the grading system went though. it seemed to include grappling and stuff though.

Now the class wasnt actually being taught by Peter, instead one of his senior students who was training for a tournament. he warned me it was gonna be pretty cardio intensive (he didnt lie either) and we started with some kinda odd warm ups. a lot of holding legs in various positions, which im not very good at thanks to my gammy hip. thankfully we did some sprints after that (which I AM good at ) then got out the pads for some good old roundhouse kicks, focusing on bringing the leg down to the front after the kick. this was pretty cool because it isnt something we practice much in MT.

I should mention that one thing I had trouble with was the "lighter" footwork. this style of kickboxing is all about speed- muay thai is all about power. the footwork was more akin to tkd than muay thai really (plus without leg kicks you could afford to be careless with your lead leg, which i found difficult to transition to. usually i can change from the muay thai to boxing mindset fairly well, but it was a bit different when kicks are still involved)

after that we did the same thing but with head high kicks, and with the other person just holding one pad out. same deal really, i was a bit more limber by then so my gammy hip wasnt a problem.

we got onto some harder stuff then, first off we had one person holding pads while the other guy threw punches. I didnt like this way of doing it because when the pads are flat facing you its quite hard to throw hooks. every now and then he would shout, and we would do a double kick (where you throw a roundhouse, then another one immediately after your foot touches the ground)

then it got a bit more fun. we put on mouthguards and gloves, and did a drill where one person throws some punches and kicks while the other defends. good contact but no taking the other guys head off of course. I was training with a girl about my size (remember- shortarse 5'8, 150 pound white boi) with i think an orange belt, she had fast kicks but kinda weak. good defense though but, not to brag, she wasnt really up to my level. I didnt go easy on her though, im sure she would appreciate that more than me being soft on her. We then did a sparring drill where one person attacks with punches while the other counters with roundhouse kicks. this was a lot of fun. i did go a bit easier on her with this one which the instructor thanked me for. she was still at a level where she would sometimes turn her head after being hit.

This was good for me actually, I hadnt sparred in a while so my technique was a little sloppier but i was still finding my range pretty well. its quite hard to counter punches with a high kick. she didnt catch me once, and i didnt catch her very often either. I did manage to do some kaoklai-esque kick dodging which is something i have been working on, was good to be able to do it when someone is throwing with intent.

on the punching side was a bit more fun. he told her to try countering by clinching me. he then told her to scratch that when i started throwing her about like a rag doll. we do a lot of clinchwork in muay thai so this was my homeground I got to work on my rushing punching, which I think has developed a lot by using one of those elastic ropes that you tie between your ankles to keep your feet from spreading too far apart. I went soft on her with this too as she was a bit of a turtler, but i did crack her a couple of good ones. she gave me some nice shots in return though. nothing like a girl with fire in her belly

Then came the warm down. this was killer. loads of press ups, jumping squats... and i mean lots. had a bit of trouble walking after, but at last i finished. everyone else apart from the guy taking the class and the instructor basically died during it. good stuff.

pros-
    we worked on some things that I dont really spend much time on
    it was fun
    good level of contact and plenty of sweat

cons-
    its not muay thai
    the "style" is designed more for points. not so much a con, just a different way of fighting than im used to
    the belt system and the "osu" ing seemed kinda cheesy. but they were quite relaxed about for the most part.
    again, no bollocks about chi blasts or deadly self defense but i didnt expect that from a kickboxing club

so would I train here? well, if I was more interested in american rules, sure. good gym, good instructors, and had a good time. unfortunately its just not my cup of tea but id definitely reccomend it to anyone who was more interested in something a little less brutal than MT.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 10:20am

Style: Empty-Hand Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yea I really hate the "no hits under-belt" rule . sounds like it was a good-decent club tho.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 9:18pm

Style: Pugilism

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shams
    Yea I really hate the "no hits under-belt" rule . sounds like it was a good-decent club tho.
    Yea that's what I thought when I read that?

I haven't kick boxed before, but I'd assume kicking to the thighs atleast, was acceptable.

It sounds like they moreso were playing it safe than playing it "real" or whatever you'd like to call it.

Which is not always a bad thing, considering the general caliber of people participating.

Anyways, nice write up.
    Last edited by Literati; 7/11/2005 9:20pm at .

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 9:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    theres different kinds of kickboxing, this club only did "full contact" which is basically boxing with head and body kicks. most clubs will do international rules, which means low kicks and knees are allowed too. not so many clubs train with elbows, unless they are entering guys into a MT event.

nothing really wrong with it, some people plain old dont want to be getting kneed or kicked in the legs. same reason why someone might do wrestling instead of BJJ because they dont want people cranking their arms. still good art.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 10:08pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they were saying "osu" it sounds like the instructor's background was karate or something.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 10:16pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or TV.

PL

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 10:39pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The most important question is: Was she hot?

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 10:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What was she wearing?

PL

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 10:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    na she wasnt hot. bit thick round the middle. there was some talent though, but they havent got **** on some of the hotties at my MT club

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 10:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do they wear?

PL
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast