Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pro Hapkido?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 4:33pm

Style: BJJ and MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it does look allitle mma. that ground fighting looked really jiujitsu.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 9:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't see anything that looked distinctively "hapkido". But I don't know much about hapkido.

Hapkido masquerading as MMA? Maybe. Let's see the rules!
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 10:37pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I competed in that this year. Trust me it's no MMA>

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 11:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    What do you expect from hapkido? I've found it to resemble an odd mix of TKD, japanese jiujitsu and BJJ. Put all that together and it looks a bit like MMA.
    yep thats Hapkido ... a little dramatic in its presentation with the music and drumming but yeah Hapkido gets that "ugly MMA look" like any other art when you attempt to punch, kick , throw, armbar and choke a resisting person who is doing the same to you .

note the "look" part ... I am sure the rules were very limiting and not many of them looked liked hardcore trained ring fighters so I doubt it felt like it ...

Omega .. was it atleast fun ?

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 12:31pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a blast....needs a bigger mat but it was fun.

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 12:40pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know a few HapKiDo instructors and after watching the clip they all claimed it was not HapKiDo at all. Not enough wrist locks I guess. I was pretty stunned that almost none of them thought it was a good idea to have competitions like that.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 12:51pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's because they're closed minded idiots. You can tell them I said it, and I'll have a convention to say to their faces too Tyler.

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 1:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why it's not MMA:
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005 PRO-HAPKIDO OPEN Short list of rules
    Self-Defense Showmanship Rules Short List:
    All Ages. 1 min. maximum time limit per couple. Contestants will show 4-8 self-defense techniques from predetermined attacks chosen from the following categories: Wrist Grabs, Body Grabs, Seating or Ground Defense, Punch Defense and KickDefense. Techniques will be scored on a scale of 0-10. Highest total score wins. Contestants will be broken up into age and skill divisions. Please check Self-Defense Showmanship division breakdown sheet for proper division numbers. Self-Defense Showmanship will start at 10am.

Pro-Hapkido Equipment Requirements:
    All competitors must wear proper shin/ instep protectors, gloves (Gloves must have enough padding to soften hard blows, NO GRAPPLING GLOVES!) , groin cup and mouth piece. Forearm protectors optional. Female competitors can wear female chest protectors under uniform. All equipment will be inspected on site.
    Additional equipment will be available for purchase at event.

Pro-Hapkido Rules Short List:
    Ages 12 and up.10 min. maximum time limit ( Subject to change day of event); 1/2 point for punches / kicks and knees to body, 1 full point for punch or kick resulting in knockdown, 1/2 point for throws and take downs, 1 point for submission/ tap out. Once both contestants are on the ground 45 sec. time limit goes into effect. Once the 45 sec.time limit is reached both contestants will be made to stand up and sparring will continue. NO strikes/ kicks to head, NO hair/ skin pulling, NO kicking below the belt unless intent is sweep and limited to below the knee, NO biting, NO Eye gouging, NO striking once on the ground, NO throws or takedowns that may cause extreme injury.
    First competitor to receive 2 full points wins.

Grand Championship Rules Short List:
    Qualifying Pro-Hapkido winners may compete. No time limit. First contestant to score 3
    full points wins. Open weight. All other rules same as Pro-Hapkido.

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    7/11/2005 1:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fought in this tournament. 16 seconds into it, there's a guy laying on the ground recovering from a hard roundhouse kick to the ribs. That would be me. At 28 seconds, there's footage of me being thrown.

Edited to add:

I guess I should give an account of the experience instead of just mentioning I was there. 2004 was the first year they did this “pro hapkido” thing and IMHO it was a bit of a cluster-****. The adult fighting was supposed to start at noon but didn’t actually get rolling till 4. The fighters were divided between male and female, black belts and colored belts and light, middle and heavy weights. I don’t remember exactly, but I think the weight categories were: 145lbs and under, 146-185lb and 185lbs and up. The scoring: in order for a punch or kick to score, you had to “stagger” your opponent with it. There was never a clear definition of what it meant to “stagger.” The consequence was that very few blows landed actually counted for anything. I personally did not see a single punch count. One of the senior instructors in our organization who watched the whole thing later said that he only saw one punch that scored in the entire tournament: it was a clean shot to the center of the chest and the puncher kihap-ed (kiai-ed if you’re Japanese) upon contact. The school that hosted this thing is big into shouting, from what I understand, so I guess yelling at your opponent makes your punches count. You could knee from the clinch, but they only counted the first one, from the first person. I was also told that the judges had a tendency to rule in your favor if you had the hosting school’s logo on the back of your gi.

My personal performance was a bit poor, mostly due to my failure to work on cardio (which I’m still quite guilty of). We figured from the rules that this was going to be more of a grappling tournament than a stand-up tournament so we trained to avoid ground fighting, and tie up and wait for time to run out if it came to a ground fight. So the first guy I fought I tried to stay at range with, but ran out of gas early on. When it got to a ground fight, I discovered that I could out-grapple him, but by that time I was too tired to do so. I eventually got choked and tapped. The second guy I fought was from my organization and he won the black-belt championship at our last inter-school tournament. So he fought like me only much better. I figured my best chance was to close and grapple with him but he just kicked the crap out of me and when I got close threw me then backed off to avoid the ground fight. He ended the fight shin-kicking me in the ribs, knocking the wind out of me and leaving me lying on the mat for the next 5 minutes trying to catch my breath. It wasn’t until I was sitting against the wall recovering and watching the next fight that the idiot light went off in my head: due to my late registration I got put in the black-belt division (there was some assigning people up and down in other schools based on grappling experience so I didn’t think of it immediately, strengthening my asserting of a cluster-****) so I don’t feel TOO bad about getting my ass kicked in both fights.
    Last edited by hapkido_keith; 7/11/2005 3:08pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast