Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 5:21pm

Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ever had an argument with someone who thought..

they knew about fighting and MAs but clearly didn't? To make this clear, EDIT.

Topic: Do you have any sort of fight training?

Me: I've been getting boxing lessons from my friend's uncle who was professional for awhile. I'm saving up money for Muay Thai, though.

Guy 1: [...] (insert stuff about how MA is ****) Also boxing is a sport, based on rules. A real fight usually has no rules so you'd be at a handicap.

That's one conversation, and then I called Guy 1 a moron and he stopped posting. This next one is some military guy who thinks he's hardcore.

Guy 2: It's funny how everyone that takes MA thinks that they're better fighters than everyone else. In my experience, the opposite is true. I've seen people with black belts get their asses handed to them by a fresh recruit in hand-to-hand training. It's more about how much you want to win, and your physical and mental state, not how many years you took so MA. Also, I haven't seen any MA that lets you take a blow to the throat, a jab to the eyes, or a stomp to the side of the knee before, and those are all things that most people will do, on purpose, or on accident, in a real fight. Hell, I know I would, if it was a 'serious' fight.

Me: Etc., etc., you're a moron, so are your friends, they bought their blackbelts, I bet they/you do TKD...etc.

Guy 2: Ok, here's my response: MA's are generally crap now. There, I said it. We had a lot of guys in Boot Camp that had black belts, legitmately. And I'm sure that if I squared off with them in a dojo, they'd put up a good fight. But when we got those bitches in the wood chips and in the sand in Cali., it was like watching s toddler trying to fight a rottweiler. I'll put a black belt against a novice who grew up fighting on the streets of Cali. any day of the week. It's more about your disposition in a lot of fights. Fights aren't about how many katas you've learned, or how many tournaments that you've gone to, it's about one thing and one thing only: I want to hurt you more than you want to hurt me, and I'm willing to get hurt trying. Blocks, reversals, locks, and takedowns rarely work in a fight, becuase no one trains realistically. It's all static, and formulaic. This is coming from someone who studied TKD for over 20 years, as well as having a Sho Dan in SeiDoKan AiKiDo, plus 3 years in a Hama-ryu gym. Boot Camp opened my eyes to a lot of **** that does, and doesn't, work in a real fight.

Me: Wow, you're a big moron, I can't believe you just said takedowns don't work, BJJ > you, etc.
    Last edited by Wolfwood; 7/12/2005 12:05pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 5:23pm

Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah, I also explained to him how MT and other MAs train you in the ways of throat jabs, eye gouges, etc., and takedowns are very effective and he basically responded with (after I was like "BJJ > your pathetic recruits, n00b")

Guy 2: There's a reason that I don't do TKD anymore...

Also, yeah, SeiDoKan is ok, but I only stayed to get my ShoDan so I could learn the YoShinKai techs., after that, I split.

MT fighters are hella-conditioned, I'll give you that.

BJJ? What is that?

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 5:24pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nope, never.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 5:29pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    never ever.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 5:29pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never heard of such a thing in all my years.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 5:30pm

Style: Escrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know a guy that claims he was taught forbidden techniques by ancient masters, and he has sworn to never engage in any sort of violence ever again because he can kill a man with one touch.

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 5:33pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tell him the only way he can truly protect his fellow man from his awe inspiring power is to kill himself and that it should be easy; all he has to do is touch himself.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 5:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *cough* Phil *cough*

I've had this same arguement with many pple, but the don't stick to it long after I've gotten my hands on them.

I had a soldier under me that said he was a hardcore MT guy when he found out I did MA. He said nothing compared to MT! When I took him to the gym and choked, slammed, knocked down, etc. him using everything but MT he realized he didn't know as much as he thought he did. My thug, hadcore prison, uncles think MA is a joke; but I have beaten their ass on several occasions. They say the only reason I did it was because I share their bloodline.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

The man they call FoM

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 6:02pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I recently was working with a guy that taught Akido. He was a big scary looking bastard. To start with I wasn't sure if he was taking the piss because he sounded just like a Bullshido poster pretending to be a TMA.

'kicking and punching are useless'

'I couldn't go UFC or PRIDE because the moves I like are illegal and I'd kill someone'

Now I don't really care about Bullshido one way or the other, people can pay for what they want to pay for. Not my problem. And hey, maybe he is the real deal. But, a friend of mine was taking his classes and suggested we all get together for friendly sparring.

I said sure, why not.

The Akido instructor started off by saying I'd get my jaw broken if we sparred.

That confused me to start with 'cause he was fond of saying punching and kicking were useless.

Then it changed to 'he didn't want to hurt me'.

Then it changed to 'we should talk first about what I want to do'

Then it changed to 'he's too busy teaching privates and doesn't have time for me'

A really weird experience seeing him alternate between agressive, defensive, and back peddling since I said basically nothing, and it was his student/my friend who suggested a get together.
    The Wastrel - So attractive he HAS to be a woman.
    - Pizdoff

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    7/10/2005 6:05pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't get who's who in that convo. So no, I've never talked to myself about MA before.

PL
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast