Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 11:12am

Style: Tai Chi & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If one spent two hours a day for 24 days, they probably COULD learn a complete tai chi form.

Moron

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 4:04pm

Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanDavis
    If one spent two hours a day for 24 days, they probably COULD learn a complete tai chi form.

Hmmm, well....

It took me over a year to finish learning the form. Thats being shown a bit, having a few reps to try to remember it, then practicing by my self.

Ok one year 52 weeks (say 47 as I would have been away for a few and we dont train over christmas) x3 classes a week = 156 times I was shown a bit of form.

Now, the form bit of class takes about 20 mins so 156x20/60= 52 hours.

Not far off, and if you did it all in bigger hits you would remember it better.

Posted On:
    7/13/2005 4:38pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, if you drop the application part of the class, etc, as they do in competitive Wu Shu, you see people doing forms lightening fast etc, with in a year or two. They don't know if there is a practical application or why etc, but it looks great.

Seeker of Knowledge

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 8:39am

supporting member
     Style: Chen Style Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It took me 10 months to learn the Lao Jia 1st frame... thats pretty much everyday practice... (except xmas day)... I would learn a movement or two or three a week and practice till right... then move on to the next one... tbh I still am learning... (only been about a year now...)...
    "If you can get it from my kungfu grip then you can have it... otherwise... step off b*t*h!!!" - Meet the Parents

"Hetero or Homo I don't see anyone telling him, "NO SIR I WILL NOT TAKE IT IN THE ASS!!!" " - Asia

"My neighbor has what he calls an "immortality potion" that will let you live forever.
    People have been telling him that it's stupid and will not work... for 1200 years." - Leodom

Banish Uncertainty
    Affirm Strength
    Hold Resolve
    Expect Death - read in a book

http://uk.360.yahoo.com/shadowdh

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 6:25pm

Style: Tai Chi & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by liokault
    Hmmm, well....

It took me over a year to finish learning the form. Thats being shown a bit, having a few reps to try to remember it, then practicing by my self.

Ok one year 52 weeks (say 47 as I would have been away for a few and we dont train over christmas) x3 classes a week = 156 times I was shown a bit of form.

Now, the form bit of class takes about 20 mins so 156x20/60= 52 hours.

Not far off, and if you did it all in bigger hits you would remember it better.
    There are many factors that can play a role in how long one takes to learn a form: 1.) How experienced/inexperienced they already are in other tai chi forms, 2.) How good of a teacher they have, 3.) The difficulty of the form, 4.) How closely you're paying attention.

I learned three forms within a matter of a few months. I attended a seminar conducted by Yong Min Bai, where he was reviewing the first half and teaching the second half of a 42-step combination form. At the end of the seminar he gave away copies of a demonstration of the form on VHS. Another form I learned within those months was a tai chi broadsword form taught by Daniel Lee on VHS. While that form is shorter than Bai's form, it was more difficult to learn because - frankly - Lee isn't that good of a teacher. The third - and final form - I learned was a competition Wu style form taught by Jiang Jianye on VHS. I'd highly recommend his tapes to any tai chi fan. They're amazingly well produced.

I'm sure you're wondering how well I mastered these forms, seeing how I didn't have a sifu around to give me feedback. I already had (Yang style) tai chi experience before studying these forms. I also practiced in front of mirrors and went to a tai chi class to see if there were any techniques I needed to polish up. Yes, there were a few. But after about 4 months of serious studying and rehearsal, I was able to perform those forms at an international tournament and win a bronze medal for the open form and silver for the broadsword form. I probably invested more than 48 hours of practice per form, but not by much.

I know Chen style has a lot more direction changes than other forms, and I'm not familiar with the other style that you're having difficulty with, but it IS possible to learn some forms within 48 hours. There are much easier forms than the ones I've mentioned that would probably take even less time than that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2005 10:33pm

Style: Tai Ji

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a very bad cold last couple of weeks.

But I am getting better now.

If you can pick up something or anything in 48 hours, wouldn't it take you more time to digest, absorb and perfect?

There are 3 phases of Chen Tai Chi:

1. Zuo Su or familiarization. The drilling of each moves or several moves in a sequence. Gaining proficiency over time.

2. Leng Dong or comprehension. Once you learn and know the moves, you start to learn all the in and out, apps, tactics and strategy etc.

3. Shen Ming or mastering. The arts become part of you. Or You become the MA itself.

Patient is a virtue. You take the time for as long as it needs to. 48 hours or many and many 48 hours.

The thing is that even if you are skillful, you still have to practice daily.

If you stop practicing, the skills will slip away.

So 48 hours become 48 days, 48 days become---

OH, I stopped counting since ---

:sleepy3:

Seeker of Knowledge

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 8:47am

supporting member
     Style: Chen Style Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just an observation... its not actually 48 hours of doing the form rather its 14 hours of instruction... thus the question should be can one learn the form and practice it thereafter competently...??? IMHO (and also very inexperienced opinion) I dont think it can be...
    "If you can get it from my kungfu grip then you can have it... otherwise... step off b*t*h!!!" - Meet the Parents

"Hetero or Homo I don't see anyone telling him, "NO SIR I WILL NOT TAKE IT IN THE ASS!!!" " - Asia

"My neighbor has what he calls an "immortality potion" that will let you live forever.
    People have been telling him that it's stupid and will not work... for 1200 years." - Leodom

Banish Uncertainty
    Affirm Strength
    Hold Resolve
    Expect Death - read in a book

http://uk.360.yahoo.com/shadowdh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2005 9:14pm

Style: Tai Ji

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I have a 30 min instruction, I would have asked for a break.

I need to take notes and refresh. I also need to practice all the moves just instructed.

So practice time is longer than instruction time.

And of course, while practicing, the teacher will correct your mistakes.

I usually have to practice for 5 to 6 hours more before moving on.

Really envy people that have attention span more than 30 min.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12