Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2007 1:31am

Style: Crosstraining/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somewhere I have a DOK Lee Hikuta tape from the early 1990s. I had previously received a 4-page advertising letter in the mail, which went on and on about how Hikuta was the bee's knees. The letter was SO over the top, I saved it as an example of first-order bullshit.

But a small part of me was curious.

Was there some substance behind the hype?

I saved the letter, but figured it would remain a mystery...

A year or so later, an older man joined the MA school I was at, and we eventually got to talking about other stuff we'd seen/heard of. He had actually ordered a DOK Lee tape, and offered to dub a copy for me. SWEET! Of course, I accepted his offer.

I watched the tape and tried most of what was demonstrated. It's been a long time since I last looked at it, but I clearly remember several things:

First Impression: DOK Lee was an obese, stiff, slow, and not particularly accurate man. If you're out of shape and still teaching, at least be accurate.

Second Impression: DOK Lee was a mediocre instructor.

Third Impression: The anonymous dude in bright red full body padding taking hits from DOK Lee in one scene looked embarassed. That sequence was supposed to show how powerful Hikuta is, but the padded guy hardly seemed to feel the hits. As in: his body barely moved. A powerful strike should have rocked him.

Fourth Impression: The Hikuta fist seemed AWFULLY similar to some kung fu stuff I'd seen. As the core of the art, I was disappointed that DOK Lee didn't go into more detail. Then again, he wasn't much of an instructor. (at least, not on tape)

Fifth Impression: The tape suddenly took a sharp left turn, with DOK Lee standing in a room filled with everyday objects. He spends some time picking up various items to illustrate that you can hurl things or use them to hit attackers. Hard objects are apparently good for this, while pointy things can hurt when jabbed into an attacker.

There were a few interesting drills for hand speed that I kinda liked when I tried them, but DOK Lee didn't appear very fast in his speed demos. It was a bit like: do this, it'll make you fast like me... (moves at average untrained speed)... see? I would have been more impressed if my sense of time was different, or if I was naturally very slow... or more gullible.

There was little else presented in terms of techniques or strategies. It was essentially all about the Hikuta fist, hit fast and hard, and use random objects if necessary. There was no grappling whatsoever, and I don't recall any kicks or sophisticated use of weapons. Certainly nothing on strategy, footwork, etc.

If DOK Lee was a "good" Hikuta instructor, I can't imagine what a "bad" Hikuta instructor would look like.
    Last edited by Ashe; 7/19/2007 1:35am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2007 1:03pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm too lazy to read through all of the posts on this thread (especially with slow dial-up) so maybe someone addressed this already, but I have been verty suspicious of Hikuta, but I am even more suspicious of Jack Savage's conditioning DVD's.

Anyone ever have experience with that?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 1:12am

Style: isshinryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also purchased the 93 book and video. I found it to be very funny. The more I watched, the moore sense it made. The stuff works. But it is still a funny video.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 8:28am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ooo. Postcount +1 opportunity.
    More human than human is our motto.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 9:26am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kistrael
    Hikuta means...
    Hikuta No Ken!

edit:
    Spoiler:
    Last edited by anarki13; 9/25/2007 9:33am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/25/2007 9:41am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn
    Now where are the stripper photos?
    What Don said. You can imagine my disappointment at seeing "STRIPPER ... * PICS *' in the thread title, then clicking through 13 pages of crap, only to find a few "stab wound" pics.

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 8:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

i repect all arts

i have respect for any and all arts of karate boxing mma ju juitsu .because they all have there place in the world .and there is one for everybody type for guy or girl i myself like shorinryu .and kyokushin karate and. mma training is awsome the workout is great for getting in shape and learning what works and what dos not :qleft6:

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    2/03/2008 8:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by joesandan
    i have respect for any and all arts of karate boxing mma ju juitsu .because they all have there place in the world .and there is one for everybody type for guy or girl i myself like shorinryu .and kyokushin karate and. mma training is awsome the workout is great for getting in shape and learning what works and what dos not :qleft6:
    You resurected this long dead thread to say that?:nobodycar
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213